338 WM build advice

willtim

I want a 338 WM. I'm thinking a Defiance AntiX action with a 24 inch Proof carbon wrapped barrel bedded in an AG Composite sporter stile stock and a Timney trigger. For glass I'm thinking Leupold VX5 HD 2-10x. I'm guessing it will come in around 8.5 pounds ready to hunt. I'm building this for a backcountry hunt in grizzly country. I have never shot a 338 WM but I'm not recoil sensitive. I'm five feet eight inches tall and 165 pounds. Without a brake, will this thing rock my world? Thanks

I've got one unbraked I shoot, its manageable. After about 20 rounds at the bench you start to feel it. Good recoil pad will definitely help.
Mines not 8.5 lbs though so there's that.

I have 3, they are all fairly lightweight rifles.
A Win Model 70 EW, Kimber 8400 Classic and Kimber 8400 Super America.
None rattle me, my 300 magnums all have sharper recoil, especially my 300 RUM.
Optic weight will tame some of the recoil, but I don't think you need big glass on a 338WM anyway.
None of mine are braked or need one!

Cheers.

I have two 338 WM's - a Win Mod 70 with a Biesen 22in. barrel and a Sako with a 24 in barrel. I decided on the 225 Nosler Partitions years ago and have not looked back. I have taken moose, elk, deer, and black bears with no regrets.

I would prefer a 22 inch barrel but Proof doesn't make one. Also, Defiance makes the AntiX with a control round feed bolt. Thoughts? Thanks

I'd even look at going 22" barrel to make it more handy. A 338 win mag isn't giving up nothing going from 24-22 but sure makes for a handier rifle package.

edited after seeing you say proof doesn't make a 22" carbon 338 barrel. Are you set on proof? X-caliber will make any length you want

338 Win recoil can be brisk, but I call it slower than a 300 win and less than a 375 h&h and more than a 30-06.
I have gravitated toward the 250 partition having killed elk and deer with the 210 and 225 partitions and seeing them both turn sideways and shed rear cores. Pushed to 2650, they arent my preferred prone bullet.

I have a Ruger Mark 11 in a 24". It's somewhat heavy, but it will kick the s**t out of you. Now I could manage the recoiI, but had a muzzle brake add to it. Now it a little puppy. I have a second one being built in a 26" barrel. Now I use a 200gr Accubond (Ruger) in my one rifle, and produces 3230fps from it. Using W760 powder, Fed 210 Primer in Winchester brass. Powder Loads is in the 75gr area. My son got an X bolt in 26". We did a run up on powder. Achieved the same powder level. The primers are flat, but not creator. We still haven't done much shooting with his rifle yet. The load was develop at about 2000' elevation during the summer in California. Weather was hot and W760 is subjective to temper change. Just how I don't know for sure. With HOWA action in the new rifle being built. I am hoping I will get a little more velocity out of it and in an H powder. That remains to be seen. The bottom line I would use a muzzle brake on the rifle.

I want a 338 WM. I'm thinking a Defiance AntiX action with a 24 inch Proof carbon wrapped barrel bedded in an AG Composite sporter stile stock and a Timney trigger. For glass I'm thinking Leupold VX5 HD 2-10x. I'm guessing it will come in around 8.5 pounds ready to hunt. I'm building this for a backcountry hunt in grizzly country. I have never shot a 338 WM but I'm not recoil sensitive. I'm five feet eight inches tall and 165 pounds. Without a brake, will this thing rock my world? Thanks
A 30-06 has with a 180 grain bullet going 2700 FPS has 20.3 pounds of energy a .300 win mag with a 180 gr going 2960 FPS has 25.9 and the .338 win mag 200 gr bullet going 2950 has 32.8

Recent Posts