338 build advice

Blackdirt Cowboy

I'm thinking about building a rifle chambered in an undetermined 338 caliber. I want to use this gun to do a couple of different things. My priorities are elk hunting, so I guess it needs to be somewhat lightweight. I'd also like to use it to learn to shoot in the 1000 yard to a mile range, so I guess it can't be too light weight. I also don't want it to cost me $5 every time I pull the trigger. Finally, I don't have $4 to 5k to build a gun. I need to build it on a budget. Hoping to keep it below $2k without optics. Oh, yeah, I'd like it to shoot 1/4 moa at 100 yards.

My questions - is this possible? What caliber would you go with? I'm leaning towards 338 EDGE, but I'm open to others if there's a better 338 caliber round. What components should I use? Is there a gunsmith you'd use?

This will be my first bolt action build. I've "built" ar-15s, but never a bolt gun.

If I were in your shoes I'd look real hard at APR rifles with their APR action for $825 that takes Savage pre fit barrels. Get a 338 edge barrel and whatever stock you can afford after that.

It's an amazing time to get into custom actions.

I'm going to push you to the 338 Edge !
Remington action and easy to get triggers stocks scope mounts barrels ect
But I'm hooked on them !!

I'm leaning hard to the edge. I'd love a Lapua, but they're just too darn expensive to shoot. I'm looking at an edge in the classifieds. It's been listed for a while. $4700 worth of gear and only asking $2000. Seems too good to be true. But I'm new to long range custom rifles, so I don't know.

1/4 inch at 100 yards with a 338 anything would be pretty darn good. if Your going to shoot 1000 yards to a mile, I hate to rain on your parade but it's going to cost ya. I assume you reload. Your going to have to shoot alot to get those ranges down. I got rid of my 338 lapua because i shoot a lot and it was expensive to shoot.

That's a pretty good deal. Even if you have to rebarrel, your still ahead. I would look hard at it. Especially if it's in your budget.

You could also go 338 Rum . I have a few of them and they are great shooters . No Pa Pua for me ..my 338's are doing just fine !
If your up to it there was a sendero 338 Rum on Gunbroker . Just a thought.

If you were closer you could take a spin on one of mine . You will be hook after the second round chamberd!

I've been looking at that Sendero on gunbroker!! I've always wanted a 338 RUM in a Sendero. Of course, Remington quit making them so I built one instead. The sendero on GB has dies with it too. If it shoots like my 7 rum sendero, it's a no brainer. I thought about buying it but I have 2 builds I'm working on.

1/4 inch at 100 yards with a 338 anything would be pretty darn good. if Your going to shoot 1000 yards to a mile, I hate to rain on your parade but it's going to cost ya. I assume you reload. Your going to have to shoot alot to get those ranges down. I got rid of my 338 lapua because i shoot a lot and it was expensive to shoot.

Along these lines. My full custom 338 NM prints 1/4" holes at 100 yards more consistently than I would think possible since I don't consider myself a great shot. No other factory or semi custom (i.e. <1/2 the cost) I have will shoot anywhere close to that good. Reloading for the 338 NM is about $1.5 per shot. I don't go out and burn powder with it.

Your in the RUM or EDGE land staying on a factory action.

My go to is the .338 Edge. Will shoot with the Lapua but it still uses a standard magnum bolt face. Actually has a slight edge in case capacity so that will help for those long range target shoots.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.