Add rail to bipod??

TechBulldawg

Got a Harris bipod and to me its the same as any other bipod. Found a video of a rail system on google (link below). Does anyone think this product will help get me back on target after i shoot because it looks pretty good to me but just want an opion before i spend almost $300. I go coyote hunting a good bit and i need to be quicker with my follow up shots. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH2_ixNQxls]The Recoil Rail by Arklatex Tactical LLC - YouTube[/ame]

Looks like an answer to a question nobody asked. A good comp or suppressor will do more for recoil without more attachments to my rails.

Is that your company?

Having hunted coyotes for many years I would save your money and use the 300 for ammo to practice making that first shot count. Good luck with the upcoming coyote season. Keep us posted on your sucess.

Regards, Paul

Lets look closely at what is in the video.

1/ The shooter leans away from the stock and does not control recoil when using the standard bipod attachment. You can see him shrug his shoulder back away from the butt pad.

2/ When using the recoil rail the feet of the bipod are suspiciously right over a crack in the boards and don't move a fraction of an inch from that crack even though the bipod legs flex back quite a bit.
Some trickery is going on in this video.

3/ The idea is not a bad one at all and in theory could do some good but I suspect the recoil spring is too heavy for the system used.

4/ One of the potential draw backs is that if any extra slop is introduced between the bipod and the stock forend then some group accuracy will be lost even if sight picture re-acquisition speed is improved .
There was no accuracy testing comparisons going on .

5/ From what I see It may be better to have very little spring inertia to get over at all and have it operate more like using a normal forend on a bench rest stand . The spring meerly returns the bipod to battery when the weight is removed . when the weapon weight is on the bipod the shooter preloads the bipod as normal. Maybe not it's hard to say how much recoil is reduced untill you use one .

6/ The moving surfaces would need to be very precision and have low friction to move well without slop . This also increases the chance of dirt and dust jambing up the system .

7/ It's an interesting idea for sure and worth investigating further . I would be more interested in seeing if the idea can make recoil tracking more accurate for tighter groups when using a bipod .
From the grub screws along the side of the device it looks similar to a top slide on a lathe , maybe a dovetailed gib system ? Possibly maybe?

8/ If someone buys one I would like to see some photos of how it's made inside .

Thanks Techbulldawg for posting this. Never heard of it till now. Always interested in new products.

I can understand the argument against using the recoil rail for single shots BUT it looks like it keeps the rifle under control when going full auto.

Someone has to buy one and put it to use on their LR rig. How about it Len?

Here is the link to the company: Recoil Rail

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.