Differences between a rail system bipod and a stud mounted bipod

Doublezranch

Good Morning Everyone,

I was pondering over a cup of coffee this morning, what the differences are between a rail mounted bipod and a stud mounted bipod? I have always used a Harris style bipod with mixed results. Sometimes the nut that tightens it strips, sometimes the base slips on the stock and rotates, and the worst being that it pulls the swivel stud out of the stock. Which my solution for now is to drill the hole all the way through and put a nut on the end of the swivel stud.
I have never used a rail mounted bipod but always have had it in the back of my mind. Are they more stable? Are they easy to mount and dismount or do you see problems with these as well.
I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

Thanks for you time everyone.

Jayson

Doublezranch,

Honestly, I have never liked the stud mounted bipod system and the Harris style is the worst. But like everyone else, you pay to play when they are the only game in town.

Fortunately, this has all changed in the last few years to our great relief. The rail systems are stronger and more stable (when the bipod is built strong enough) because of the attachment using a through bolt and the gripping surfaces on both sides of the rail by the attachment device. Normally the rail is attached to the stock using two T-nuts, avoiding the problems you note in your post.

TL-BP78Q_00.jpg

This bipod in particular uses a quick release system for the attachment which is very convenient when compared to screws and bolts.

Do some reading and handle some if you get the chance.

Regards.

I went to the Atlas bipod (Rail mounted) on both my 260 Rem and 300 WM. Love it. The ones I had seen on other rifles were superbly stable. A bit heavier for sure, but the wallet will be a bit lighter to compensate, right?

https://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_new/accessories-official-manufacturer/64-bt15-335-1913-rail.html

Atlas makes rails that have a spot for a flush cup or a hole to mount a sling stud built into them.

I have always used a custom Harris bipod made by larue tactical that has a quick detach set up tig welded onto it, rail mounted. I bought it before atlas was making bi pods otherwise I would go that route if I were buying now.

Lately I have been shooting a 12pound 270 Wsm with a sling stud mounted bi pod and it's not nearly as stable. All my stocks will always have a railed mounted system on them unless it's a light weight rifle where the stock forend is small and narrow. Just haven't mounted a rail on that rifle yet.

My quick detach set up is wrench adjustable for a tight fit if your using different rails that are not the same width. But if your just starting to convert rifles over to the rail system make sure and buy the same make rails so you have a tight fit when switching your bi pod to different rifles without having to make adjustments.

When my rifles were built, I had side mounted flush cups installed into the stock thinking that might be a bit more out of the way of the bipod mounted to the rail (i.e., would the legs interfere with the sling and vice versa when rotating the legs into position). As CA48 mentions above you can get the rails to do what you want, and I can't speak to which might be preferred as I've just used the side-mounted flush cups, which might not have been necessary. I ordered both of those stocks through Manners figured I may as well "splurge." For those with experience, if you use the Atlas rails with the sling also mounted to the rail, does the rifle ride comfortably over the shoulder, or does the bipod dig into your back?

I have carried a few buddies rifles set up like this and have not noticed the bi pod digging into my back. But haven't carried one of these set up very far. I doubt you will have any issues because I have carried rifles where the sling mounts to the bottom of the bi pod and that doesn't even dig into my back.

Something else worth mentioning with the atlas rails with a sling stud built in is that you will have to use an atlas bi pod or a similar one for it to be functional. My Harris QD bipod would not work with this rail as the throw lever to lock the swivel down and the frame that holds the legs where they pivot is to bulky and would cover that area of the rail. The atlas bi pods are very compact at the pivot area around the legs and allow you room to connect a sling. To be clear my Harris will attach to the rail you just can't attach the sling with it.

On my last build to avoid this I had the smith mount an atlas rail w/o a stud then mount a flush cup an inch behind the rail but my Harris still covers the cup where I can't mount my sling. Although I always have my sling mounted to the cups on the side of my rifle anyway so it's not a big deal but I learned what not to do on that build.

....If converted to the rail do you lose the ability to use a sling?

......Who has the rails to convert with?

....If converted to the rail do you lose the ability to use a sling?.......

I won't say I was completely unhappy with the Harris, but I just went to a Modular Evolutions, and it locks up like a safe compared to the Harris.

The Modular Evolutions came with a bit of rail to mount, and it has the sling attachment on one end. I think the rail on my No. 1 is an Atlas, and it has the post for the sling already in place. I believe they sell a sling stud that just fits in one of the slots as well.

The ME rail has the sling attachment horizontal, the Atlas is the more usual vertical. I like the horizontal better.

The rail mount is more stable than the swivel mount. I have a couple Rugged Ridge bi-pods and have put rails on about 7 rifles so far. The R.R. bi-pod is fast to change guns and is lighter than a Harris (of which i have 8)
I have used Atlas rails, Pure-Precision rails, modified plastic Magpul rails and an adapter that goes on the stud to convert to a rail. I have used the flush cup rails and used a sling stud as one of the rail fasteners to use a sling. This week i put An Atlas rail on a friends stock to mount the new Caldwell carbon fiber bi-pod- it needs a screw driver to change guns, and weighs 9 oz. vs 12 oz for the Rugged Ridge. The Caldwell is $110 R.R. is $330. The Caldwell is not as stable as the T.R.
Magpul also has a new pic rail B.P. but I have not used one.

The Atlas bipod mount to rail is nice as it is a cam lock and adjustable if rails vary a bit in size,as i noticed they do

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.