Atlas Bipod rail question

200VLD

I have two hs precision stocks on rem 700s and want to use the atlas bipod to switch between the two guns. Both stalks have just one swivel stud on the fore end. My confusion is how to mount the rails to the stalks and even which ones to get. I am looking at getting the BT10-LW17V8 with the quick release. Any help on mounting and what to get would be greatly appreciated. By the way, they are both varmit style stocks. Thanks!

You basically have two options. The first is to mount a pic rail adapter designed for a single stud. Len has one available on this site that is easy to mount and has sn integrated swivel mount. This is a fast and easy approach if you only have one stud. The second option is to drill a second swivel hole in your forearm which will require installing an anchor to allow you to screw either a second swivel stud, or mount a two screw pic rail. Len also supplies the required components in his LRH Store. I use both on my rifles and they both allow the Atlas to mount securely. My preference is the Seekins dual screw mount pic rail with the swivel adapter. It's very low profile and doesn't protrude as much(1/2") as the single stud type when the bipod is not in use.

Remove your stud.

Use the center of the stud hole and center of front trigger guard screw holes to draw (pencil) a center line so you can align your rail.

Mark the outline of the rail as centered on that line.

Sand/grind with a dremel enough of the material away to remove the shiny finish.

Drill pilot holes for your screws.

Apply some masking tape along the outer edges of the outline you marked for your rail such that you have an empty box in the middle where you did your sanding.

Use some good epoxy applied to the spot you sanded and to the back of the rail and set the rail in place.

Use a couple of wood screws to mount the rail.

Clean up excess epoxy by removing the masking tape.

Allow epoxy to cure for several days before shooting.

I found that sanding away enough of the "box" to ever so slightly recess the edges of the rail a few thousandths gave this type of mount even greater strength.

I did this on a couple of 300 Rum Sendero's with factory H-S Precision stocks and it worked very well for me.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to have to install a new anchor for the swivel stud because it is too far forward on the stock to mount the rail forward of it (does that make sense?) My other option is to put the sling in front of the bipod but that will not work for me.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to have to install a new anchor for the swivel stud because it is too far forward on the stock to mount the rail forward of it (does that make sense?) My other option is to put the sling in front of the bipod but that will not work for me.
You might want to consider just installing QD swivel studs on the left side (assuming you have a right handed rifle) that way the rifle lays flat against your back instead of flopping around. You will find that to be a far more comfortable way to carry a rifle than the way slings are generally mounted.

Feel free to give me a call at the store for advice on your Atlas rail options.

Andy

920-376-2010

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.