Bipod question

I drank some Atlas koolaid a few years ago and bought one. I do like it but I don't understand why it costs so much more.

As for features beyond the Harris
1. It is able to pan side-to-side as well as tilt.
2. You are able to set the legs in a forward or rearward angle to better rest on uneven surfaces.
3. The head is able to rock forward-backward slightly. This mimics shooting off a front rest.

Those are the ones I can think of at the moment. I like the Atlas but I won't be selling my Harris.

I have both.
I Harris swivel on my hunting rifles which does all I need it to do & the Atlas V8 BT10-LW17 which I use on a rifle I use for PRS which involves different positional shooting.

Two different bipods for 2 different applications imo.

The fact that I can also change out the feet in the Atlas also gives me more options than the Harris in the same application.

Both are great but at $450 AU for the Atlas well also Im not going to buy that to use on a hunting rifle for the price factor alone!

You guys have the best of everything available to you for a much cheaper price than we do here so if there is only $100 difference then I would go the Atlas, here there is a $225AU difference but still 2 different bipods for different uses overall.

I would say the cost is in the machining of the Atlas vs the stamped parts of the Harris.

I own both and I prefer the Atlas. I think the only thing that the Harris has over the Atlas is it deploys and stows away much faster but on the some token the Atlas legs locks in and has multiple leg positions.

I'm sure there are other pros and cons but this was the main one that comes to mind. There has been a few times in a PRS match where the extra 2-3 seconds it took to deploy or stow the Atlas cost me a hit because I timed out. Both are good just depends on budget and intended use.

I agree ,, if you are in a hurry for an in-the-field shot while hunting, the Harris is hard to beat ,,,,

I'm a big versa pod fan I like the mounting system gives me an extra couple of inches plus using just one (well except for different heights) on all my rifles. They mount the same way and can be moved from weapon to weapon in a second. Inter changeable feet not to heavy but very stout.
But that said I just got a Ruger Precision 22Mag and put a Magpul on it. For the price it's hard to beat.

Reading this because I'm interested too.

On the low end I'd suggest giving the Magpul a good looking at. I'd be surprised if one ever showed up at a comp in the hands of a knowledgeable shooter, but for a field type bipod I think they're pretty good. Only downside are the mounting options, no traditional stud mount.

My atlas is pretty darn solid. Also have a Harris-type (Caldwell) that I don't mind hunting with. If you have either, just put it in your mind that it's the best one around til it proves otherwise. I do like the quick detach on the atlas.

I had 3 different Atlas bipods thought they were the answer to bipod gods, but then I got an Extreme Outer Limits in a rifle trade and watched their video and shot off of it and was hooked. Sold all 3 Atlas and replaced them with EOL bipods and even their extension rods and it's all I use! Check them out

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.