Accuracy And Bore Scopes

In my case, it resolved an accuracy problem that I may not have figured out otherwise. As a result I think they are a worthwhile tool to have. Since there is no end to the tools available to shooters, it's a question of priorities.

In my case, it resolved an accuracy problem that I may not have figured out otherwise. As a result I think they are a worthwhile tool to have. Since there is no end to the tools available to shooters, it's a question of priorities.
I understand what your saying and I'm just asking, if it was in that bad of shape and no rifling on one side, I would have thought you could you could have seen that with a bore light and the naked eye or felt it with your patch

I understand what your saying and I'm just asking, if it was in that bad of shape and no rifling on one side, I would have thought you could you could have seen that with a bore light and the naked eye or felt it with your patch
If you did you could now take it to the next level and take a picture of it and show it to your friends and talk about it and then they will want a bore scope to play with too. Technology is a good thing. Happy Father's Day ButterBean

I do recommend them now that they are cheap. I talk to a lot of guys every day. There are a lot of guys out there that do not clean right and have ruined barrels or lost accuracy because of carbon build up. You can still learn how to clean a barrel with out one if you are paying attention to details. I did when I first got into shooting BR. But even now that I know how to clean a barrel I still use it on new chamberings because different powders and cartridges lay down different amounts of fouling and need to be dealt with differently. So it shortens my learning curve on those. I want to clean as little as I need to get the bore in the condition I want it, and thats not necessarily squeaky clean to bare steel. The other obvious use is to inspect a new barrel and chamber job to make sure its what you paid for. Any of the good makes will replace a barrel with tool marks, and any good smith should stand behind a chamber job thats not concentric to the bore. I like my customers to bore scope chambers. Will any of this make you shoot better? Maybe, maybe not. The fact remains that you will learn something from using one and $50 for a little knowledge is cheap. When you had to pay $900 to get one worth buying I did not recommend them. For what I do, and what I have learned about throats and barrels it would have been worth $10k to me.

I do recommend them now that they are cheap. I talk to a lot of guys every day. There are a lot of guys out there that do not clean right and have ruined barrels or lost accuracy because of carbon build up. You can still learn how to clean a barrel with out one if you are paying attention to details. I did when I first got into shooting BR. But even now that I know how to clean a barrel I still use it on new chamberings because different powders and cartridges lay down different amounts of fouling and need to be dealt with differently. So it shortens my learning curve on those. I want to clean as little as I need to get the bore in the condition I want it, and thats not necessarily squeaky clean to bare steel. The other obvious use is to inspect a new barrel and chamber job to make sure its what you paid for. Any of the good makes will replace a barrel with tool marks, and any good smith should stand behind a chamber job thats not concentric to the bore. I like my customers to bore scope chambers. Will any of this make you shoot better? Maybe, maybe not. The fact remains that you will learn something from using one and $50 for a little knowledge is cheap. When you had to pay $900 to get one worth buying I did not recommend them. For what I do, and what I have learned about throats and barrels it would have been worth $10k to me.
Thank you Alex, that's the answer that I was looking for and you explained it perfect, I'm sure that I will eventually own one and I didn't want to cause a big commotion but when accusations as mentioned in my original post start flying it really intrigued me, Thank you again for your contribution

I bought a used HB m700 6mm Rem off Gunbroker. Worked up a load for South Dakota prairie dogs. Had a borehole without angled mirror, made everything look good. Bought a Teslong after reading of its virtues here. Short story - if I had the Teslong the day the rifle arrived I would have wrapped it up and sent it back. Bore looks like 30 miles of bad road.
20200220_162430.jpg
20200220_162430.jpg

I bought a used HB m700 6mm Rem off Gunbroker. Worked up a load for South Dakota prairie dogs. Had a borehole without angled mirror, made everything look good. Bought a Teslong after reading of its virtues here. Short story - if I had the Teslong the day the rifle arrived I would have wrapped it up and sent it back. Bore looks like 30 miles of bad road.View attachment 199361View attachment 199361
Are these groups from the said gun ?

I have an accurate 22 WMR that started to shoot all over. I cleaned it well but still didn't improve. I checked the muzzle to make sure there was not damage there and it was good. I had been thinking of getting a bore scope for a while and when I found out I could get one for $50 I did. Come to find out the 22 WMR had a pretty bad carbon ring. I scrubbed until it came out clean (took a while) and now the rifle shoots great again. I think it is worth the $50.

I have an accurate 22 WMR that started to shoot all over. I cleaned it well but still didn't improve. I checked the muzzle to make sure there was not damage there and it was good. I had been thinking of getting a bore scope for a while and when I found out I could get one for $50 I did. Come to find out the 22 WMR had a pretty bad carbon ring. I scrubbed until it came out clean (took a while) and now the rifle shoots great again. I think it is worth the $50.
Awesome , Thanks for the input

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.