Accuracy And Bore Scopes

I've got an old Marlin 336 lever action in 35 Remington. Not a long range rifle by any means. It will shoot honest 1.25" groups regularly @ 100 with factory ammo. It's been cleaned once in about 20 years. I don't shoot it often. There's no telling what the bore looks like.

I will buy you a Teslong if you delete this post. Pm your address, get some first hand knowledge.
First off, it would do this sight a bunch of good if a really knowledgeable with credentials bbl maker would enlighten the masses on what to be looking for with a bore scope. As with most sites there are way too many self made experts out there with no practical knowledge or experience offering up bogus suggestions.

First off, it would do this sight a bunch of good if a really knowledgeable with credentials bbl maker would enlighten the masses on what to be looking for with a bore scope. As with most sites there are way too many self made experts out there with no practical knowledge or experience offering up bogus suggestions.

Shadowwalker........ you slobbered a bib full rite there ShoNuff

What prompted you to quote me? I just offered Mr Bean a deal, squelch the drama and either use the scope as a Tool and make a decision on whether or not it is viable.
I would bet money most custom barrels are scoped before they leave the plant, and if imperfections were that noticeable, they would receive some attn before shipped. Dog eat doggie world and barrels are no exception.
Knowing the limitations of any tool a plus, knowing your own limitations in conjunction with that knowledge helps immensely. If someone buys one to solve puzzles, they are misguided.

I hate having to filter through Jokers, guessers and internet experts to find the truth nuggets posted. Sometimes it's hard to have a serious conversation. But generally someone on here has your answer, if you can sift down to it.

Milo I'm all for new stuff and I may eventually get one but when I hear all the "you gotta have it to be accurate" I'd like some insight and proof and I really hope some one shows me some , I agree with you on the phone, once you have one you can never get away from anyone and for the record I do like squirrels ;)
As said earlier it is a tool and that is exactly what it is it will not make your gun more accurate if you have an accurate gun now a scope will not change that but it will help you diagnose problems if your gun is all of a sudden not so accurate

Does it improve your accuracy?
Generally not.
Do you HAVE to have it to be a serious shooter?
No. We did fine without them for years. More b.s.
Top notch equipment should shoot good from the start. It is more a diagnosis tool for when accuracy falls off or isn't there. Just another good tool. It can however, take OCD to an entirely new level creating its own problems lol.
My main enjoyment from a Teslong has been busting internet myths and advertising b.s., especially regarding bore cleaning.
And I second the suggestion regarding a bbl maker offering a tutelage on interpreting the borescope images! Speed up my learning curve.

What prompted you to quote me? I just offered Mr Bean a deal, squelch the drama and either use the scope as a Tool and make a decision on whether or not it is viable.
I would bet money most custom barrels are scoped before they leave the plant, and if imperfections were that noticeable, they would receive some attn before shipped. Dog eat doggie world and barrels are no exception.
Knowing the limitations of any tool a plus, knowing your own limitations in conjunction with that knowledge helps immensely. If someone buys one to solve puzzles, they are misguided.
I'm not gonna go through all the accusations again but the question I asked had 2 solid replies and both were cleaning related so IMO it's a tool and that's it, with that being said this is my 270 that I use almost once a week as it's my Coyote Rig, I bought it 15 years ago used off the shelf at my local gun dealer for $325 Remington 700 ADL sporter with Irons, it shoots 90 grain sierra's 3/4 moa always has and still does to this day, Had it been scoped at the dealer it would still be sitting there but here it is still a pencil barrel 3/4 moa 325 dollar rifle, Can't judge a book by its cover

WIN_20200623_11_06_37_Pro.jpgWIN_20200623_11_13_45_Pro.jpgWIN_20200623_11_09_18_Pro.jpg

I'm not gonna go through all the accusations again but the question I asked had 2 solid replies and both were cleaning related so IMO it's a tool and that's it, with that being said this is my 270 that I use almost once a week as it's my Coyote Rig, I bought it 15 years ago used off the shelf at my local gun dealer for $325 Remington 700 ADL sporter with Irons, it shoots 90 grain sierra's 3/4 moa always has and still does to this day, Had it been scoped at the dealer it would still be sitting there but here it is still a pencil barrel 3/4 moa 325 dollar rifle, Can't judge a book by its cover

View attachment 200121View attachment 200122View attachment 200123
I could have given a dozen examples of how one aided myself, all on the side of being preventative versus reactive. From figuring how different powders and bullets foul a barrel, and forming a maintenance plan.
I worked in an industry where we had field mechanics, fully tooled trucks, tool of choice, 2 crescent wrenches. I face palmed myself a lot. We are all different.

So far I cant come close to recognizing a good or bad barrel by a scope, but I've found it useful for cleaning. I likely never got barrels actually clean before. Here's a quick video I took of what appears to be a carbon ring (happy to be corrected) after a normal duration cleaning of my 300 prc. This barrel had right around 50 shots on it with rl26.

I could have given a dozen examples of how one aided myself, all on the side of being preventative versus reactive. From figuring how different powders and bullets foul a barrel, and forming a maintenance plan.
I worked in an industry where we had field mechanics, fully tooled trucks, tool of choice, 2 crescent wrenches. I face palmed myself a lot. We are all different.
I can give a dozen examples myself but you still don't have to have one to be serious about accuracy as this thread has proven and your right we are all different

View attachment 200121View attachment 200122View attachment 200123
It is showing it's age and there's no spring chicken but from what I see everything is normal for a gun with that much use you must learn to interpret what you see and not jump to conclusions let the target be the final judge. Also one thing that is not mentioned i use it for several other projects whether it be mechanics looking down in the cylinders I actually looked in a burrow on my property to see what was living in there they are very handy for more than just rifles

It is showing it's age and there's no spring chicken but from what I see everything is normal for a gun with that much use you must learn to interpret what you see and not jump to conclusions let the target be the final judge. Also one thing that is not mentioned i use it for several other projects whether it be mechanics looking down in the cylinders I actually looked in a burrow on my property to see what was living in there they are very handy for more than just rifles
OK got to know...........what was living in the burrow? You can't leave me hanging..........the most interesting tidbit so far :)

Yes BS are great for checking out used guns and barrels for sure, I don't buy used however. They would be a good thing to use if accuracy ever took a nosedive, actually this hasn't happened yet either. They let you see how effective your cleaning method's are, this interests me however carbon rings that raise pressure and effect accuracy haven't happened to this point (about 20 years of shooting and hunting), so my cleaning methods seem to be pretty good. My buddy the gunsmith offered to scope my barrels but commented the accuracy I'm getting and the lack of problems means probably won't be much to see. When everything else of importance has been bought or addressed I'll probably buy one as another tool to own.

OK got to know...........what was living in the burrow? You can't leave me hanging..........the most interesting tidbit so far :)

Yes BS are great for checking out used guns and barrels for sure, I don't buy used however. They would be a good thing to use if accuracy ever took a nosedive, actually this hasn't happened yet either. They let you see how effective your cleaning method's are, this interests me however carbon rings that raise pressure and effect accuracy haven't happened to this point (about 20 years of shooting and hunting), so my cleaning methods seem to be pretty good. My buddy the gunsmith offered to scope my barrels but commented the accuracy I'm getting and the lack of problems means probably won't be much to see. When everything else of importance has been bought or addressed I'll probably buy one as another tool to own.
There was nothing in the burrow at the time I looked I suspect an armadillo LOL It was near my chicken coop which is why I was concerned you know if you want to hunt things all year around all you have to do is get chickens

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.