Accuracy And Bore Scopes

So far I cant come close to recognizing a good or bad barrel by a scope, but I've found it useful for cleaning. I likely never got barrels actually clean before. Here's a quick video I took of what appears to be a carbon ring (happy to be corrected) after a normal duration cleaning of my 300 prc. This barrel had right around 50 shots on it with rl26.

Ok, I'll bite. This thread had been enlightening, and has changed my perception to the point that I think I'll be looking up Amazon in the near future.
I concede to it being a tool, and to use it to check your cleaning, and overall condition, but not as a must have to be be accurate. Some barrels, simply will not shoot, regardless of how much you scope it.
I've been shooting for well over 40years, and have only had one barrel scoped, and most of all of mine have and will shoot 1/2 minute or better. But with the newer powders, which leave a pretty bad carbon signature, fire cracking, etc, so to that I concede to the need for a "Tool", to monitor it.
Where's my laptop?🤣🤣😀🦌🦌!
Good Thread Bean!

Heck no its not going to make a gun shoot more accurate. That's crazy talk. Im pretty sure that most people find out what makes a rifle shoot accurately....by shooting it. I have the teslong but it was just purely out of the curiosity of what the bore looks like as you get more and more rounds down it. I will clean a rifle and check it periodically but again, it is just out of pure curiosity. The teslong has literally changed nothing in regards to how I clean or when I clean. Also, the teslong bore scope is not going to keep me from having a rifle that has a bad looking bore especially when you take it out and it shoots half moa all day.

It would be cool for a barrel maker to come on and do a thread with pictures and explain what they see.

Last edited:
Heck no its not going to make a gun shoot more accurate. That's crazy talk. Im pretty sure that most people find out what makes a rifle shoot accurately....by shooting it. I have the teslong but it was just purely out of the curiosity of what the bore looks like as you get more and more rounds down it. I will clean a rifle and check it periodically but again, it is just out of pure curiosity. The teslong has literally changed nothing in regards to how I clean or when I clean. Also, the teslong bore scope is not going to keep me from having a rifle that has a bad looking bore especially when you take it out and it shoots half moa all day.

It would be cool for a barrel maker to come on and do a thread with pictures and explain what they see.
I concur 100%

I remember reading an old post or article somewhere several years back and it was an old story then. I don't know how reliable the story is but some fellow had a 308 comp rifle that he had won several matches with. He had went well past expected barrel life, maybe something like 1000 rounds past his expectations. He decided he was just going to keep shooting until it gave up accuracy. When he finally pulled the barrel off, the first 4 to 5 inches or so of the rifling was nearly eroded/ washed out. Now ,I wouldn't believe that's possible but I see no need for someone to lie about it.

I remember reading an old post or article somewhere several years back and it was an old story then. I don't know how reliable the story is but some fellow had a 308 comp rifle that he had won several matches with. He had went well past expected barrel life, maybe something like 1000 rounds past his expectations. He decided he was just going to keep shooting until it gave up accuracy. When he finally pulled the barrel off, the first 4 to 5 inches or so of the rifling was nearly eroded/ washed out. Now ,I wouldn't believe that's possible but I see no need for someone to lie about it.
I've seen crazier things and I wouldn't doubt it a bit

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.