Accubond in a 270 WSM

Moman

Does anyone have experience with the 140 Gr Accubonds in a 270 WSM? I am thinking about trying these in my sons A-Bolt but would like some feedback first. Interested in accuracy, seating depth, weight retention etc. These will be for deer and elk loads.

I have shot (3) deer and my son has killed (2) with the Accubond bullets. Of my (3) one was killed with my 270 WSM using a 140 Accubond bullet, one with a 140 Accubond out of my 7mmSAUM and one with a 140 out of my 280 Rem..
My son's two deer were shot with his Ruger 77 Mark II in 280 Rem using 140 Accubond bullets. So we have some experience with the 140 Accubond's.

Now for your question. The accuracy is excellent in my Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 270 WSM. The reason I used this bullet was because it was so accurate in my gun. I have shot 1/2 in. 3 shot groups at 100 yards and I shot a 1 1/2 inch group at 300 yards with this bullet. If you are shooting Nolser BT you can almost use the same load and seating depth for the Accubonds.

With (5) deer killed we have yet to recover a bullet. So we don't know about weight retention. We do know about penetration, however. The deer I shot with the 270 WSM was running away from me and I shot it in the right ham and the bullet penetrated half the deer and exited out the right rib cage, blowing a huge hole in that side of the deer. The reason I shot it running away was I had wounded the deer while shooting at it at over 400 yards and I was able to jump him out of a ditch.

The Accubonds are my favorite deer bullets for any caliber that shoots 3000 ft/sec or over. The will penetrate and they will hold together. My only complaint is that my be too tough for deer meaning that they do not expand as much as other deer bullets such as the Hornady SP. Nosler BT etc.

The most accurate load that I have every shot out of my Winchester with the 140 Accubonds I used Norma brass, WLRM primers, and IMR-4350 powder. My load came from the Nosler # 5 Manual. I was able to work up to the max load listed for that powder.

I have since started loading my 270 WSM with RL-22. I get almost as good accuracy and an extra 50-100 ft/sec velocity with RL-22.

As far as seating depth I think you will have to work with your rifle. My gun has a long throat and it shoots great with bullets loaded way short of the lands.

Moman, as far as a deer bullet I don't believe you can find a better bullet. I can't speak for elk, they are kinda scarce here in Alabama. I have killed between 20 to 30 deer with the accubonds and they are bad to the bone. As far as expansion goes they expand quickly and violently. I have only recovered 2 and one weighed 85 grs. and the other 65 grs. The bullet that weighed 65 grains was recovered from a deer shot at about 15 yards through both shoulders. The other came from a 200+lb buck that was shot through the front shoulder and was found in the opposite side ham. The deer was quartering toward me and was about 100 yards away. The farthest deer I have shot with this bullet so far was about 350-375 yards away and it performed perfectly. If your gun will shoot them accuratly, then they would be the ones that I would shoot hands down. I'm running these at 3100 fps out of my 270WSM with groups in the 3/4" range.

The 140gr Accubond is the go to bullet in my 270WSM and it has performed extremely well. I seat it to a COL of 2.86 and sit over a max load of H1000 or Ramshot Magnum and accuracy is right around the MOA mark (just a sporter rifle and I haven't tested it since it was bedded) You won't have any problems shooting deer or elk with it.

accubond

Moman, I have a relatively new 270 WSM, in a Rem 700. I worked up a load with the 140 Accubond, that my gun seems to like. I have only shot paper with this load but it is very accurate.
Berger has just introduced 3 new bullets for the 270's. I'm working on their 150 VLD. Good Luck

with the Pop the 270 wsm has i'd advise a much stronger bullet like the barnes TSX or the a-frame ,partition,speers tbbc, some elk can bee 5 times as big as deer? with the tag prices going through the roof ....i'd 4 sure opt for a Premium bullet.
regards

jjmp, are you saying the accubond is NOT a premium bullet. Read through some posts you will find the accubond is a premium bullet built for animals up to and including ELK. We have killed a number of elk with these bullets here in Idaho as well as many deer in the 250-275 lb range up to 400 yards and these bullets will outperform the shooter most times.

Update

O.K., I picked up a box of the 140 Grain Accubonds to give them a try. I used H-4350 and did a work up load. They tightened up pretty nice as I approached max load. At max, they shot three shots @ .5" at 100 YD. That was seated .050 off the lands. Velocity was at about 3030 fps with a SD of 32 fps. Not sure if I will try other powders or not. Very happy with this load but may try and get more velocity with something else. Thanks for your guys help.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.