.270 WSM with the 165 Nosler Accubond LR

Hi gents,

I just picked up a box of the 165's and was wondering if anyone has tried these in the.270 wsm. I'm running just an Xbolt hunter that loves both Barnes and Noslers. I will most likely try these out with some IMR 4350. Thanks in advance.

What the others have said about needing a tighter twist needs be heeded. Nosler rifles chambered for the .27 Nosler and this new 165 ablr come with 8.5 twist. I am building a .270 Weatherby w 1 in 8 twist after a conversation with Hammer on the subject. That said, many will be interested in your experience at a 1 in 10. pls share.

I tried the 7mm 150 gr ALR in my Browning 7mm WSM (9-1/2" twist) and it did not perform well. Could have been marginal twist rate or jump to the lands. Seating these long ogive bullets close to the lands can be difficult with some magazine lengths.

TRGRTYME, my hope is your rifle is not the 1:10" twist but a 1:9" or 1:8" twist. I have two 270 WSM's and neither one will shoot anything over the 145/150 grain class SPBT from anyone. I had my hand in a friend's build of his 270 WSM. He was going to shoot 150 grain Barnes TSX, and Berger heavies. he was under the impression that a 1:10" twist would handle them. we went to the range with my two rifles and shot the slugs he was slated to shoot in his. results were not good.
I ordered a 1:8" twist for his gun, among other things.. once it was all together, the gun shot everything he wanted under 1/2". Now true load development is happening.
FreddieJ,

I bought the xbolt about 10-11 years ago and back then I did not even know what twist even meant. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I only assume it is 1:10 twist from the browning website. Now that all you guys mentioned the heavier bullets won't stabilize, no wonder I couldn't get a decent group with Barnes 150's.

I tried the 7mm 150 gr ALR in my Browning 7mm WSM (9-1/2" twist) and it did not perform well. Could have been marginal twist rate or jump to the lands. Seating these long ogive bullets close to the lands can be difficult with some magazine lengths.
how far off?

I have had a sako85 270wsm for over ten years. 1in 10 twist.
I tried the nosler 150ABLR 5years ago with poor results. It was a tack driver at 200 metres with mv of 3250fps, but when testing it out to 600metres the bullet drop was a good 400mm more than it should have been using the strelok program. I put this down to incorrect bc claim at the time but now im sure it was the plastic tip melting after about 300 metres affecting the bc . I now use the hornady145 grain eldx at 3330fps 70.3 grains IMR7828ssc and acuracy is outstanding and bc is bang on with the strelok program. I have taken buck chamois at 725 metres . Bullet 50mm from where aimed. The majority of .277 rifles only having a 1 in 10 twist would be why hornady only make the eldx up to 145 gr in .277 i would guess. I used to shoot Nosler 150 bst pills with good results. They have a much lower bc than the Nosler 150ABLR. So if it wasnt the plastic tip melting it must have been the much longer 150ABLR that requires a tighter twist than 1in 10. There is no way that the 165 ABLR will ever perform in a .277 1 in 10 twist.

Last edited:
That number just came off of the description of the 165 ABLR on the Nosler web site.
Box Qty.100
Caliber270
Grain165
Bullet TypeAccuBond Long Range
UPC Code54041548274
ManufacturerNosler
Manufacturer Part Number54827
Diameter0.277
Ballistic Coefficient (BC)0.591
Overall Length (OAL) (in.)1.390
Sectional Density (SD.)0.279
BaseBoat Tail
something amiss here. My box of 165 ablr .270s read .620 G1 and .312 G7.

I have three .270's and when I learned that Nosler was going to make a165 grain ablr bullet I was so excited I called Nosler to find out the particulars and to be sure that it would shoot well in my rifles. Nosler was absolutely adamant that this bullet would not work in my rifles because they had a ten to one twist. I had heard that Burger and others making heavy bullets in .277 so l was confused.
I want to thank all of you for a very enlightening and educating discussion that has helped me and reawaken my interests in the .270 and what it's role is.
I go back to the days of Jack O'Connor and I remember reading several of his articles in which he was extolling the virtues of the .270 and I remember that two of the key things he thought about the .270 was that it provided a flatter trajectory and a lower recoil than the .30-06 with the then prevalent steel butt-plated stocks as sold by Winchester.
The .270 was designed in the early 1920's for an 130 grain bullet to achieve the results listed above. I'm sure at that time heavy bullets were not even considered because of the then very popular .30-06 defining the design parameters of .270. The ten to one twist was entirely adequate for a 130 grain bullet and that tradition as carried that on to the present day.
Take Nosler at its word and rebarrel your rifles if you want to use the 165 grain ABLR bullets.

Hi gents,

I just picked up a box of the 165's and was wondering if anyone has tried these in the.270 wsm. I'm running just an Xbolt hunter that loves both Barnes and Noslers. I will most likely try these out with some IMR 4350. Thanks in advance.
My Tikka loves 165gr Matrix with 60.5 gr H4831sc
Hi gents,

my Tikka loves 165 Matrix with 60.5 gr. H4831sc

You will need a 1/8 twist to be effective. I have been having really good results with RL-26 and the 165 ABLR at 3135 fps with a 26" barrel. Groups are well under 1 MOA. I am using a 270 WSM with a long throat for the Berger 170s.
So just having my 1/8 put on with a throat for 170, mind sharing any reload data? Also I noticed 165 are longer than the EOL 170.

TRGRTYME ~
This time of year it is hard to get enough time tune new bullets prior to the hunt. Also Nosler Long Range Accubonds can prove time consuming. I too have purchased a box of the 165 LRAB to try. If you run into time constraints Nosler has distributed a NEW .277 Regular Accubond in 150 grain. The Regular 140 Accubonds are so simple to tune in most 270 Wsm I would think the 150 AB should also be a slam dunk killer. As you have read from other members the LRAB bullets normally like quite a bit jump and I would think the 165 version will also take the jump.

I think we'll find this subject die off, and get replaced with reports of the 6.8 Western and 165gr ABLR.