270 wsm & 165 matrix

westcoasthunter

I have a 270 wsm i had built a few years ago. I use the 165gr matrix with retumbo. But i have been thinking abour trying rl23 with the 165's. Does anyone use that combo and how do you like it?

RL26 is a couple grains faster than H1000 in everything I've shot it in??
I would not disagree with you. Hornady's 10th addition manual on page 38 list H1000 as #148, RL-26 as #151 and Retumbo as #153. I know in my 28 Nosler I run one grain less of RL-26 to get +75fps more than Retumbo. In My 270 WSM with a long throat I run about the same charge of powder with H-1000 and RL-26 and the Rl-26 gives more velocity. As to burn rate I have no way of measuring it. I also read somewhere that RL-26 burns in 16" of barrel length where as the same article stated that H-1000 was over 20". Based on the above one would "***/u/me" that RL-26 was faster than H-1000 but I am not sure that common sense applies here there may be more science behind it than we know. Maybe some with more knowledge than I will chime in.

I would not disagree with you. Hornady's 10th addition manual on page 38 list H1000 as #148, RL-26 as #151 and Retumbo as #153. I know in my 28 Nosler I run one grain less of RL-26 to get +75fps more than Retumbo. In My 270 WSM with a long throat I run about the same charge of powder with H-1000 and RL-26 and the Rl-26 gives more velocity. As to burn rate I have no way of measuring it. I also read somewhere that RL-26 burns in 16" of barrel length where as the same article stated that H-1000 was over 20". Based on the above one would "---/u/me" that RL-26 was faster than H-1000 but I am not sure that common sense applies here there may be more science behind it than we know. Maybe some with more knowledge than I will chime in.
I know when I run the 3 powders in my Shermans to max pressure, if RL26 was say 60 grains, H1000 would be 62 and Retumbo at 63

That has been my experience as well. But I have also found that RL-26 gives a little more velocity at what I perceive to be the same pressure. Since I can't measure pressure and only go by the normal pressure signs we all have come to rely on. Sometimes RL-26 is like pixie dust in some situations but not all. 270 WSM is a good example. At least mine likes it a lot. But it shoots all three exceptionally well. Thanks to bigngreen.

I really like my retumbo load 66gr get me 3000fps with the 165matrix. I only have about a 1/2 lb of rl26 so i was not going to mess with trying to find a load with it since i cant find any rl26 anywhere. So i thought about trying rl23. I have about 10lbs of retumbo left. Just thought i would try something else to see how it does

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.