.270 WSM with the 165 Nosler Accubond LR

Trgrtyme

Hi gents,

I just picked up a box of the 165's and was wondering if anyone has tried these in the.270 wsm. I'm running just an Xbolt hunter that loves both Barnes and Noslers. I will most likely try these out with some IMR 4350. Thanks in advance.

Playing around with *rough* estimates for bullet length, BC, and muzzle velocity, I'm showing that a 1:10 will stabilize the bullet, but that it's only marginally stable at 3200ft elevation. I punched in .625 G1 BC, 2950fps, and bullet length of 1.5" and it came up with 1.24 stability factor, and a revised BC estimate of .576. I'd like to try these out in my 270wsm that's being built right now, but at first I'm going to try the 136gr Terminal Ascents from Federal. I used the 155gr TLR in my 7mm and I think that design is a great all-around bullet.

Awesome--thank you!
So with that info, it's at 1.2 stability factor, revised G1 BC of .538. Still using 2950fps, 10 twist, and 3200ft elevation.

That number just came off of the description of the 165 ABLR on the Nosler web site.
Box Qty.100
Caliber270
Grain165
Bullet TypeAccuBond Long Range
UPC Code54041548274
ManufacturerNosler
Manufacturer Part Number54827
Diameter0.277
Ballistic Coefficient (BC)0.591
Overall Length (OAL) (in.)1.390
Sectional Density (SD.)0.279
BaseBoat Tail

Unfortunately Nosler is never up to speed, nor snuff, in regards to their website. I was looking for 6.5 PRC info when it was announced that they would start loading for it. I clicked on the image for it, and it was 6.5 Creedmoor. When I talked to their CS rep about it, he just said that it must be a placeholder since they weren't going to load it until later in the year.

Edited to add: They've at least taken down the linked image that they had in there for 6.5 PRC ballistics.

IMG_20200513_213111748.jpg

Hi gents,

I just picked up a box of the 165's and was wondering if anyone has tried these in the.270 wsm. I'm running just an Xbolt hunter that loves both Barnes and Noslers. I will most likely try these out with some IMR 4350. Thanks in advance.
Watching and waiting attentively! What's your twist rate? If it's the standard 1:10 I'm skeptical but really, really want to be wrong (as I have a .270 as well). It's also possible that they stabilize but being only marginally stable do not come close to realizing the bc values attainable with a more aggressive twist. Not trying to rain on your parade, really glad someone else is trying this before I spend my own money experimenting :), very much want to know how this goes for you.

Looks like they've fudged some of the specs between the two weights. The 1.390 and .591 belong to the 150gr ABLR .277 on the site, and obviously your length shows otherwise. That's why I went with .625 and 1.5 as a rough guess, comparing dimensions to their other calibers in respective weights.