.270 WSM with the 165 Nosler Accubond LR

Wise move. I am going to rebarrel my 270 WSM; Win 70 to a 1:8" or 1:7", 24", #6 taper with a muzzle brake for the heavy slugs. I love the case and it launches the heavies so well.
yeah, I'm shooting a M70 as well, originally a coyote model. I replaced the heavy laminated stock with a win featherweight my brother had laying around. Handles and looks great, but it is a bit heavy with the medium heavy barrel. I really like the contour of it and of course the stock has already been honed out so If I rebarrel, I'm going to keep that but get it fluted to save a little weight, even if I keep it a 300wsm. Don't mind just building a new custom 270wsm or rechambering one of the new winchester extreme vsx mb 6.8's to 270wsm to get the twist.

Jumping in to keep this thread alive. I just rebarreled my M70 Stainless 270 WSM with a 24" 1:8 twist #3 contour barrel and hope to shoot it this week. I spec'ed it to be throated for the 165 ABLR to kiss the lands at 3.0" since my magazine will feed about 3.025" max, but I just checked it and it ended up a little long. The 165 ABLR hits the lands at 3.06" - same for the 150 ABLR and the 145 ELD-X. Given the way these tend to like a little jump that might end up being just perfect.

Very interested in the loads others are using in their 8" twist, long-throated 270 WSMs. I know one thing, it's going to smoke that Johnny-Come-Lately 6.8 Western!
Hodgden has published a great deal of data for 6.8 Western and I figure I can use their max loads as starting loads for this .270 WSM.
Do the rest of you concur?

Cheers,
Rex

TRexF16, please keep us posted on your progress,agreeing with you about the Moxie the 270 WSM has 😉, thks for posting bud!!!. Cheers 🍻

Why? There is plenty of data for the 270 WSM available.
If someone could point out to me where this tested data is for the 270 WSM with the new high BC bullets that have been recently introduced that would be most appreciated. I have not found it online.

Thanks,
Rex

You might consider in your load development Noslers fairly new .277 Regular Accubond (AB) 150 grain. If I recall launched with 27 Nosler cartridge and the 165 ABLR.
The AB 150 was a sleeper but in high demand now. A bit lower BC but Regular Accubonds often tune easier and slam.

If someone could point out to me where this tested data is for the 270 WSM with the new high BC bullets that have been recently introduced that would be most appreciated. I have not found it online.

Thanks,
Rex
Here you go. I found some of the loads to be too hot for my rifle. I reached the max velocity at less than max charge.
I have a load for RL-26 for the 165 ABLR that produces 3135fps in my rifle with 26" barrel. COAL 3.025 start at 60 grs and work up. Be careful RL-26 hits the pressure wall hard.

Attachments

• IMG_20210705_204036779.jpg
    IMG_20210705_204036779.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 183
Thanks very much Sedancowboy.
What is the source for those 170 gr data you attached? From the p/n I reckon it's for the 170 Berger Elite Hunter? Is it Berger's published data?
And thanks for your 165 ABLR suggestions, and pressure warning!

DMULE,
I have both Nosler .277 150 AB and 150 BT on hand that I will use in my development for this rifle as well as the 165 ABLR. Thanks for the reminder on that.

Cheers,
Rex