270 wsm in a long action

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Sleepy Time, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Sleepy Time

Sleepy Time Well-Known Member

ANyone ever done this? What's the benefits or drawbacks? Have a long action 700 and a 270 caliber barrel already. Was going to build a 270 win, but last minute thought is why not a 270 wsm? Started reloading the round for my dad and am liking the results.

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

I'm sure someone out there has done that. Re-barrel your rifle to .280A.I. and happier! No bolt face alterations, and any feed issues are easier to deal with.

3. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I grabbed some cases and tried them in a 7mm Rem 700 I have setting around and it looks like the rails would need worked over a bit and the bolt face opened up, it would have a lot of room I would think a guy would need to put a spacer in there to take up some of the room but I don't know.
    The 270 WSM is very capable with the 160+gr bullets but the straight 270 is also great with them or the 270 AI with very close performance to the WSM.

4. jabey9210

jabey9210 Well-Known Member

I have a savage 110 that was a 30-06 that I converted to a 7mm WSM and I love it I can seat the 180 berger VLD's out into the lands and they very nicely fit in the magazine I changed the bolt face i think it cost like 15 bucks for parts and changed the magazine box to a magnum box and I think that was like 10 dollars and can put three in the magazine with no feeding issues what so ever so go for it I'm sure happy with mine!!! But where you have a remington changing the bolt face may be a little more compared to a savage.