A-max bullets

Anybody shooting the 162 gr. A-max (7mm)? I'm curious about accuracy and performance on animals.

Thanks,

tb7

I used the 162gr A-Max in my 7STW this year for whitetails in NC. Incredibly accurate and killed whitetails "on-the-spot" almost every time. Shots were from 300yds to 470yds. Shoulder shots resulted in DRT kills. Lung shots resulted in DRT or within 25 yds. I had no problem filling all 6 tags.

The 162gr A-Max is a very impressive whitail bullet IMO.

I'm shooting the 162s out of a 7saum at 2950 fps, accuracy in this rifle is great, often in the .2s-.4s if I'm doing my part.

I took 2 whitetail does this year with this combo, one at 365 yds and one at 390 yds, both broadside through the boiler room, both had about 3" exit wounds, and both were bang FLOP. I really like this bullet!!!!:D

Chris

I don't believe I would use them on elk sized game but for deer they are excellent.
Accuracy wise I have enough confidence in them that I plan to use them in 1000yd BR matches this year. The 162 A-max is the reason I decided to go with a 7mm cal in my 1000yd light gun.
James

I have used the 162g A Max on red and sika deer out to 670 yards, out of a 280 Rem and haven't had anything move more than 25 yards so far.
I think they are a superb bullet for small and mid sized deer (so far nothing really big has stepped out..) and have had great accuracy and no complaints with the price either.
I built this rifle to shoot these bullets, and have been very happy with the way it all came together.

Thanks for the info guys. I will mostly be shooting deer/antelope with this bullet so it sounds like it will be perfect. Whats the consensus about caribou/elk sized game. Is the bullet too thin skinned for decent penetration. If so, what are you guys using for larger game?

tb7

I also used the 162g AMAX out of my 7 RM at 2900fps to take a nice muley at 790 yards, 1 shot kill. It hit him behind the shoulder, but a little low. He went about 50 yards and piled up. With that said, they are at best a deer bullet and definately not a bullet to try any bone breaking shots. They are a very explosive bullet. I would never use them on anythign larger then deer. With that said, I'm going back to 140g NBT's for deer.

+1.- amax gives great accuracy, and will work well on mid sized game.- small deer should be ok.

I´ve killed a good deal of game out to 850yds with 7 cal 162 ans 6,5 140 amax.-

I wouldnt try them on elk or big deer ; may work but if you hit a bone you will not get enough penetration.

I also used the 162g AMAX out of my 7 RM at 2900fps to take a nice muley at 790 yards, 1 shot kill. It hit him behind the shoulder, but a little low. He went about 50 yards and piled up. With that said, they are at best a deer bullet and definately not a bullet to try any bone breaking shots. They are a very explosive bullet. I would never use them on anythign larger then deer. With that said, I'm going back to 140g NBT's for deer.

You ever try that 162 AMAX on any one of the 100 coyotes you've shot lately(Yes I'm jealous)? I need to come visit you and get in on the Yote fun :)

My rifle loves the 168g Amax from Black Hills, I was thinking about trying it on coyotes when I hit PA in the coming weeks.

In '06 I shot an 8 3/4" -96 10 shot at 1022 with 162 Amaxes out of a 7wsm.

Also same year had an 11.8 - 93 that consisted of a core group of 7.9 with one flyer. I attributed the flyer to the stock as I was using a Wildcat thumbhole stock with the forend reformed identical to a savage varmint contour. Obviously not your most commonly used stock for 1kbr, but I just had to see what I could do with it.

Haven't gotten the optimum shot opportunity to test it on a 1K deer yet. Some year soon, I hope.
Shummy

You ever try that 162 AMAX on any one of the 100 coyotes you've shot lately(Yes I'm jealous)? I need to come visit you and get in on the Yote fun :)

My rifle loves the 168g Amax from Black Hills, I was thinking about trying it on coyotes when I hit PA in the coming weeks.
Excuse me if I am wrong. I though AMAX bullets were match grade bullet that were meant for target shooting. Is this right? Thanks Dale

Excuse me if I am wrong. I though AMAX bullets were match grade bullet that were meant for target shooting. Is this right? Thanks Dale

Yes and No. :>) They are definately "Match" bullets but Hornady DOES recommend them for hunting thin skinned biggame.

Berger is obviously onto this idea too. They are widely advertising their match grade VLD bullets for hunting. They even have a longrange hunting video that they'll send you just for asking.

Many shooters on this site have successfully used Sierra Matchking bullets for biggame hunting. However, Sierra officially indicates that they are not designed for that purpose. The whole SMK & biggame hunting controversy has been hotly debated on many forums.

Bottom line - A-Max bullets murder whitetails, at least in my limited experience with them. I've also killed tons of groundhogs with them but that's another story.

DALE! You're alive!

Varmint Hunter answered your question. If they are good for whitetails, they will work wonders for Yotes. If I come visit, I'm bringing A-Max for woodchuck.

**Off topic....Oh my word, I looked at my Join date and this month makes 3 years, **** time flies!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.