A-Max Vs A-Max Vs V-Max

HARPERC

I have Tikka T3, .223, 20" 1-8" twist barrel. I've just bought the Leupold 2-12x for it. Intended use coyotes, and sage rats.

The scope comes with the opportunity to have a custom turret installed. Generally I bounce bullet to bullet, and just re-sight, but I'm going to give this a try. In doing so committing to a bullet and load is necessary.

Choices:

1) 60 grain V-Max, shoots well in the rifle, smacks rats, and I have it on good authority it's an excellent coyote load. In the field it visibly falls behind the heavier bullets. Is available.

2) 80 grain A-Max, I haven't shot this one yet, no reason to believe it won't shoot. It's also available. It gives up a bit in velocity, and doesn't gain much in BC, and I've right or wrong got it in my head 80 is to heavy for the .223.

3) 75 grain A-Max, I've 2 boxes, but are currently unavailable.

The rifle shoots the heavies better. Definitely likes the Hornady Superpeformance Match 75 grain. Leaves a little on the table in expansion on rats.

So do I go with what's available right now, or start with my remaining 75's, and hope the drought ends.

I agree with your assessment of the 80 grain AMAX. I think it's too much bullet for not enough gain in the .223 case. The 75 grain AMAX is THE bullet to have, IMO. It has been very popular and won't be going away. Yes, it is hard to obtain right now, but that won't last forever.

The AMAX won't be a flat shooter from your .223. Its primary advantage will be in wind drift. Because of that, I would say to have your turret set up for the 75 AMAX, your preferred bullet. Berger 75 VLD's are close to the AMAX in bc value, so they might be a decent short term option (and should be available soon). The Hornady 75 BTHP's would be less ideal, but cheaper and would at least allow you to shoot.

I would also do some load work with 53 grain VMAX's or try the factory Superformance load. The VMAX will shoot considerably flatter quite a ways out there, making turret use less important. You will still probably want to dial at longer ranges, you just won't have to dial as much for elevation. It will work better for sage rats and allow you to conserve your AMAX's until you can obtain more of them.

Once you have an AMAX load developed, you can save that for the lower volume shooting you will do at coyotes, which should buy you some time to obtain more.

That's my thought process, anyway...

That's my thought process, anyway...

Pretty sensible.

I used the rifle on some sage rats in June. Currently it has a Leupold 2.5-8 Mark 4 M2 Turrets TMR reticle, and it worked well with the 60 V-Max. A little more magnification will be more helpful than dialing turret. My main goal with the sage rats is taking a couple of kids next spring, volume will be more of a factor than stretching out.

I'm not really into the fur, so either should work on coyotes.

Hopefully, get the kids on some steel between now and then. So set it up for the 75's, for those days.

Thanks,
Carl

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.