Hornady A-MAx Bullets - any good for hunting?

I know they will blow through a pressure treated 4x4 at 300 yards than the fender, oil filter and oil pan of a Pontiac transport 100 yards later out of a .300 wm. gun)

For drop tests I recommend moving the second target farther out. Oil filters are good targets but I find the passport fender obstructive. Rotate the vehicle and open the hood next time. Try and aim for the radiator cap instead. If more difficulty is needed thread the bullet through the transmission dip stick handle hole. Lol, if the 4x4 post is too easy try a 3" round pipe.

a max on hogs up to 300........yards pounds or just about anything good to eat
30 cal 178 to 208 excellent
284 140 excellent
2506 really good
243 superb (1050

i must say in all fairness
game kings accubonds bergers grand slams cutting edge all of these worked really really well
91 specimens from around the world will testify if they could
please load and shoot, kill and eat your hearts desire with amax

I have killed many Deer with Amax bullets. Never lost one. From 6mm and 6.5. I will be trying the 208 Amax out of my .300 WM.

Haven't killed a hog with the 30-06/ 208 amax combo but it worked great on a 230lb Kansas whitetail at 250 yards. Muzzle velocity of 2590fps with a 22" tube. Dime size entry hole and golf ball size exit. I have shot coyotes with the 168 amax running a mild 2700fps and it was violent to say the least. I feel the velocity an 06 pushes the 208 is extremely effective. Not to fast for closer shots if need be however plenty of retained velocity at longer distances to expand reliably. I would not hesitate to tote the ol savage 06 and 208 amax combo to hog country. The jury is still out on the 168 and 200ish pound game however. The 168s sure come apart on a coyote shoulder!! Yikes

Anyone else have experience with the 105's in the 243? I have an amazingly accurate load worked up in a cheapie Axis stainless I bought for my son (he "might" get it in a few years, I kinda like it myself!) but have never used them for hunting.

gun) I have had mixed results on game with A-MAX projectiles on medium game (mainly feral goats). In some cases I have had solid chest shots with my 7mm rem mag and the bullets just penciled through the animal and simply ran off.

Others shots have taken the animal down, but needed 1-2 more shots to take them out completely.

I am not that bad a shot, all shots were all chest hits and should have out them down in one short, but the bullets didn't open up as much I would have liked.

In the end I stopped using them and went back to Nosler BTs, much better - no animals ever required follow up shots if you hit them properly.

I am in OZ too and have found plenty of mates using Amax projectiles in smaller calibre with good results, I just don't think they are the best for medium and large game.

I wouldn't use them, there are plenty of purpose made hunting projectiles that work much better...

My only experience with deer hunting with amax was a 6mm rem with105 amax I reasoned that the sectional density of the bullet would compensate for bullet construction I shot 3 deer that season .One at 430 hit the sholder bone it limped wih a broken shoulder till it could b properly dispactched. Deer 2 was shot at ~105 I sliped it back in the ribs it ran into a thicket, I went to recover it and came on what I thought was her standing within the brush. I threw up and fired another sholder shot out of habit 30 or so yards it ran 300 yards across the neighbors feild without stopping and into a wooded subdivision. I seen her periodically for the next 3 or 4 years with no chance to clean up my mess...the deer at 105 I went back to see if I hit the first shot and found it lying in the brush dead, the rib shot worked textbook with damage similar to a nosler bt. In my defense the brush was a patch about 25 yards across the mistake of thinking the second deer was the first was excusable but using an improper bullet was NOT i'll never make that mistake again..

I shot 4 whitetails this past weekend with A-max bullets out of my Grendel. They were great. Penetration and damage was perfect. One blew right through the socket on the point of the shoulder with no issue. 3 deer dropped on the spot with lung shots. One ran a few yards.

I shoot the 140gr. in a 6.5x55, 162gr. in a 7RM and a 155gr. in a 308 Win. and never had an issue! Call it lucky or what you want, but it is a very good bullet for what I have shot with it. Deer, bear, goats and caribou in this country and several plains game in Africa. If you do your part, the bullet will do it's part. . .on long shots and short. This bear was shot this year in Florida's bear season by my friend Justin, at a ranged 157 yards with the 140 A-Max and my 6.5x55. It was a frontal shot (not necessarily one I would have taken, none the less) and the bear, 293 lbs. gutted, dropped right there like you turned out a light switch. The bullet hit through the breast bone and turned the insides to a 35 gal. pale of palmetto berry soup! ! ! Are there better constructed bullets out the. . .you bet there is, but this one is hard to beat across the board. The Bergers are a lot of shooter's "magical bullets" and these A-Max's will hang right there with them.

Anyone else have experience with the 105's in the 243? I have an amazingly accurate load worked up in a cheapie Axis stainless I bought for my son (he "might" get it in a few years, I kinda like it myself!) but have never used them for hunting.
I have. 105gn Amax in 243ai performs amazingly well on hogs. 3200+ps.