7-08 rem + 162 gr A-max =Any good for Hunting?

D-mon

Hi,
As any body tried that combination? What do you thing of the A-max, deviated from its purpose and used for hunting? Specialy at 7-08 velocities? On (big)deers and wild boars?
Thank you for your answers.
ND

I have not used the 7-08 specifecly but have used the 308 extensivly which happens to be the same case. The amax is a match bullet with good medium game charecteristics. Even Hornaday recomends them for deer sized critters. They are VERY accurate bullets and very lethal.

I have used the 178 AMAX in the 308 and I know of many who use the 162 AMAX in their 7mm's with outstanding results. Give em a try and dont be afraid to try them on deer or the like.

Use the heavy 162gr at 2700fps and keep a sharp knife handy.

The bullet is quite tough but not your Texas heart shot, bone breaking bullet. Broadside through the ribs and they will fall.

If that is still a concern, I would suggest you use the 154 or 162gr SST. This will most definitely work and even go through shoulders. Equally accurate.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.