Hornady A-max bullets

I was using the 168gr bthp match hornady rounds this winter. I shot awesome groups with this bullet out to 1000yds. Now that it warmed up my groups with the 168 opened up. I was going to try a new recipe with this same 168. But I found some 178 gr a-max bullets on sale and decided to try them instead. I worked up a load and shot a nice 5 shot group under 1/2" off of a bipod at 100. I am very happy with these so far but I have to stretch them out and see what they will do at 1000yds. I know they have a higher BC so I'm excited to try them out further. How are they for long range hunting? Any one else out there having any luck with the a-max bullets?

The 178 Amax is a great deer size game performer. They open up at very low velocity making them ideal for long range 308 work. They're not as forgiving in the wind as some other bullet weights and shapes. My only complaint is that their BC decays faster than a lot of other bullets but they will get the job done with some practice. They are one of my favorites in the 308. Mainly because of their easy expansion and consistency.

The A-Max is a very fragile target bullet.....I wouldn't use them for hunting.

Look into Berger VLD's if you're wanting a target-style long range hunting bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.