908 yard whitetail with SSG rig.

188MULE

908 yards with a 6.5x.284 and 140 A-max Rifle built by Nathan from Straight Shot Gunsmithing. Gross score 160".

2011 gratis 038.jpg

One shot.

Awesome hunt, great pic, beautiful deer, excellent shooting.

The picture is so great, I wondered it I could improve on it using Photoshop...
hard to say... some might still like the original better.

What camera did you use? If you don't mind my asking.

Congratulations!

250mdki.jpg

Thanks everyone.

I used a Kodak easy share c195 14 mpix.

This deer was around last winter and my dad found one of his horns. He was a 4x4 that would have went in the high 140s.
He was one of about four bucks that made it thru the blue tongue epidemic that went thru our place this year and thru a large portion of ND. The last three winters has destroyed our deer herds and the blue tongue was the fatal blow. I'd say that we are at about 5% of the Whitetail numbers we had in 2006. Mule deer numbers are down probably 75%. Depending on how the winters go over the next few years it may be awhile before we'll have deer of this caliber to hunt.

I had plenty of pics of this guy but never during shooting time. One day during rifle season I moved to a different point. I was glassing around and saw a doe stand and lay down on a open hill side, when I got the spotter on her I quickly saw this guy laying near her in the grass. I new which one he was because of his large brows even at 1400 yrds. I gathered my gear and took off. While trying to close the distance I came to a spot where he would be able to see me for about 300 yards, I had no cover. He was looking in my direction so I had to turn back. I Climbed to the nearest point and realized my options were limited so I decided this is where I would take the shot. I ranged him at 908 did my calculations and fired one time hitting him within inches of point of aim. He never left his bed.

Thanks goes to Nate & Liz from StraightShotGunsmithing.com for their awesome products.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.