904 Yard Antelope

Long Time Long Ranger

After I got my deer loaded and headed back out of the yellowstone country toward home I still had an antelope tag in my pocket for the unit I would be driving through. I turned down the BLM road where my son got his antelope opening day. A quarter mile down the road I glassed a long draw and it held about 30 antelope. I pulled off onto a little two track and glassed this buck in with the does. Last day of the season and there he was. I had just made a good shot on a pretty little muley at sun up and very happy already. Now on the way home I get a chance for my antelope. Just one of those days when it all comes together. I got all my stuff together and got ready for the shot. The rangefinder read 904 yards. The wind was dead calm still and a very slight downhill shot. After checking my cheat sheet I fired and watched for the hit. I saw the hit and the antelope took off full speed, then started tumbling after maybe 40 yards. Again the 300 ultramag and 208 Amax combination at 3210 fps did the job. I was able to make it almost to the antelope on the two track and got him loaded. Now two long range bucks lie in the back and it isn't lunch time yet.

I got home and my wife and son asked if I got one. I said yes and they went out to look. They opened the door to the suburban and my wife said holy crap, thats a pretty good haul. My son said lets get some lunch and sart skinning. It was a pretty well stuffed suburban. He has a six inch prong on one side and broken at five inches on the other. 14 1/2" long on one side and broken off at 13 on the other. I thought it was a pretty good buck for the last day of the season. I will remember this day for awhile. Now back to work on the house tommorrow.

014.jpg

021.jpg

Thanks everyone, It was a special day until today when my wife beat the crap out of everything we shot this year. It has been a fun three days and I am very proud of the way my wife handled that shot today. Settled herself down and made the shot count.

tjohn, I am running 105 grains of H-870 with a fed 215 match primer. Spreads are less than five fps.

WOW, what a day, congrats. You had the chances, the luck in your side, but you also had the knowledge, equipment and preparation to execute it perfectly. Congrats, glad for you!!!gun)

Very cool story; I'd remember a day like that for quite a long time, too. Congratulations!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts