921 Yard South Dakota Antelope

WestSoDakThwack

What a weekend of Antelope hunting. The antelope i shot this afternoon we were on 5 times over the last 2 days. Jeb and I both missed midrange shots yesterday, Jeb 1st thing in the morning due to a faulty range finder I missed yesterday afternoon with a horrible wind call🤦‍♂️. Then Jeb killed his biggest antelope to date yesterday afternoon on what turned out to be a wild stalk itself.
20211002_130248.jpg

Ran into the big guy at 1st light this morning 2 miles south of where we left him last night at dark, screwed that up. Spent the day glassing all the property's we could hunt and finding nothing. Sat in the pickup and watched a coyote mouse for over an hour waiting for something to show up today. Nothing did and we were headed home. Stopped to shut a gate that wasnt supposed to be open and found the big guy again this time bedded on a stubble field with a doe. Laid on him ready for over an hour and could not make him stand up. Finally decided to try a bedded shot at 682 as we had absolutely no route to close the distance. Misread the wind hit the dirt just to the side of him. It was at this point i realized i was not prepared and out of ammo, Jeb had to run back to the pickup over the ridge for more while i laid and watched. The antelope stood up and left at the shot but his doe stayed so he circled back and stopped again right as Jeb got back. One last range,wind and angle read a moment to collect myself and he died right there at 921 yards.

He measued right at 14" on both sides with a gross of 70" +/- it was a very quick rough score on the tailgate. His curls curved around a fully crossed in the middle for added character. For this unit thats about all you can ask for. In the 10 years or so ive been hunting antelope here I've only seen maybe a grand total of 10 14"+ antelope and been luckh enough to take 2 of them. We have a low population and our winters are especially brutal on them.

Lot of people question why we want rifles that can shoot in the .3s and rifle scopes that you can rely on to dial 21.5 MOA and suppressors that hide your location. Why we burn through reloading components even in a shortage. This is why. I left the house with the 30-30 lever action fully intending to use that, 40 yards sounds like a whole lot more fun. It just didnt work out this time. I dont have the most expensive gear but ive built a setup that works for me.

Just because i like to read what gear everyone is using Ill include it below.
Ruger American Predator Barreled action
6.5 Creedmoor 123 gr Amax over Superformance Powder(everyone hates this powder but this load averages right at 3000fps with an SD of 6 on the magnetospeed) Fed210M primer
Attach0(25).jpg

MDT LSS Chassis
Magpul CTR Stock with riser
Magpul AICS pattern mags, tuned to this chassis/action
Lane Scorpian King Suppressor
Meopta Optika 6 3-18×50 with the RD BDC
Warne rings on a 20moa EGW Base

Countless miles walked. Lots of missed opportunities and a whole lot of luck. Lots of laying and looking at the same bedded antelope in various places with no approach route. Lots of not being able to find a place to shoot from due to terrain, or cows, or mirage. We never should have had a chance he started on property we couldnt hunt, all we could do was watch but 2 little bucks showed up and he ran them off and ended up where we could hunt. We bumped him at 1 point and he took off 2 miles to the east where we couldnt hunt. We watched him leave only to run into 3 coyotes that turned him back. Running into him 1st light this morning where we did was just bizzare. He left again mid morning to property we couldnt hunt only to show back up in the afternoon. All told we watched him on 5 properties had chances on him on 3 all in about a 4 mile area.
Screenshot_20211003-135307_Gallery.jpg

Also we glassed 15 coyotes.....the real season is near. It's also my anniversary, I'm sure the wife will forgive me just in time to do it again next year😂. Also after spending 2 days glassing antelope with binos and a riflescope I need a spotting scope so if anyone would like to buy a kidney I may have one for sale......

Great story and pics - thanks for sharing! I miss hunting my uncle's ranch near Creighton. Love SD - both the prairies and the Hills.

Nice hunt! I have had good luck with the lighter bullets for hunting as well. My current go to load is: 123gr Sceenars over 39.5 Varget, Lapua small primer brass, Wolf small rifle primers, in a 26" AI AT Bartlein. I'm seeing 1/3 to 1/2 moa at 100, and it seems to be holding moa out to 400yrds. Speeds are right at 2897fps with SDs around 4 or 5. I'm right at a .020 jump. More than satisfactory accuracy and wicked on yotes. Only issue seem to be the wind. The light bullets just don't buck it like the heavies.