Antelope in the yard in town this morning

I've never seen that many together .
It took them over 30 minutes to cross the road, they weren't stopping for vehicles. Like in the clip you posted. I felt lucky to be in the right spot at the right time, and unlucky to have no camera with me.
[/QUOTE]
Wonder if it was the same heard crossing ?

It took them over 30 minutes to cross the road, they weren't stopping for vehicles. Like in the clip you posted. I felt lucky to be in the right spot at the right time, and unlucky to have no camera with me.
[/QUOTE]
Could be, but I think there are many crossings like that in Wyoming, in the winter.

Behind the house this morning.

hU7xw4jh.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

[/QUOTE]
I wonder why they weren't going under the fence. There must have been something wrong with the fence. Antelope normally go under. That jumping over seemed to really slow them down.

Antelope normally go under.
Not any more. When I was young, there wasn't much for fences in this area... and pronghorn didn't know what to do with them when they showed up. I was legitimately told countless times by ranchers and by so-called "biologists" that they couldn't jump fences. When I was young, I never once witnessed a pronghorn go over a fence, and when I asked anyone why... they said their bones were too brittle and they couldn't take jumping.

Now, 30yrs later... the vast majority of pronghorn in this same area will go OVER fences unless they are very close to one of their favorite "ducking" spots where there's a high spot in the low barb. They ALWAYS jump them. Over the past 30 years, they've learned about fences, and they've learned how to jump them. They are still not as adept at it as deer, but as they are a much shorter critter, this is to be expected.

It's been a sad realization in my adult life actually. More and more fences. Not fewer, always more. More barbs, tighter, taller, and longer fences. To see these pronghorn having to adapt around us, has made me sad. It's almost a story of innocence lost. Yet another ever present reminder of how things are not getting better... they are getting worse.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I wonder why they weren't going under the fence. There must have been something wrong with the fence. Antelope normally go under. That jumping over seemed to really slow them down.
[/QUOTE]
I've never seen a lope jump a fence in 40 years either .

Recent Posts