7MM STW VS 7MM ULTRA MAG

skeeter

What do you guys the the better long action is for hunting deer at long range/
I also posted this topic on the 24 hour campfire.

Buy the long action and chamber it for either a standard 7mm mag or 7WSM. THis will allow you to seat the bullet way out of the case to fully utilize available case capacity. Or better yet, let Kirby build you a 7-270WSM so you can have a longer neck and double the barrel life of a 7 ultra!

Iam wondering what kirby would charge for chambering a new barrel and a set of dies?

Well////
The rifle has been beded and it my have to be beded again if the barrel is changed.Nothing is wrong with the bedding.
It has a #4 shelin barrel on it now.26" long.I was thinking the beding my have to be reworked because of a changed barrel.

Skeeter,

Drop me an e-mail at [email protected] with the details of your rifle and I will get you a quote.

judging by the two rounds your comparing, the STW and RUM, it seems you are looking at high performance rounds. Another one you may be interested is my newest baby in the family, the 7mm Allen Mag. Just brought the first one to life tonight.

Based on a 338 Lapua case with the Allen Mag shoulder configuration and body taper. Because of the shorter parent case, you can seat bullets out of the powder capacity farther then the RUM with a 3.700" OAL and have a usible powder capacity of 118 gr compared to around 104 gr for the RUM with same bullets and both seated to an over all length of 3.700".

I would agree though, if you will be shooting this rifle alot, the 7mm-270 WSM or standard 7mm Rem Mag will be much easier to get into and last longer as well in barrel life.

If its shear Ballistic HorsePower your after, you have my E-mail!!!

If that **** Hunt101.com was not down I would post pics of this short, very fat powerhouse!!! Combined with the 200 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat Bullet, nothing will run with it ballistically if she proves on the range what we think she will do!!!

As soon as Hunt101.com is back up I will be posting pics of my new baby.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Skeeter,

To your original question, the 7RUM is a better case design.

Any belted case has inherent problems with headspacing on the belt.

Even though both cases are very over-bore for caliber, the 7RUM is going to be slightly more efficient.

I personally like the 7 RUM because of case design and I tend to set up the rifles to shoot heavier bullets, like the 160gr. Accubond or the 175gr SMK. I would go with a 28" barrel and always have the option of shooting factory ammo in a pinch without any worries.

Either of these bullets in a 7RUM will make a good 1500 yard rifle no problem, and you can buy them anyware.

Hey Kirby, try photobucket if Hunt101 is down. I use both.

What is a 7-270WSM and how is it different than a 7WSM?

Kirby,
If possible could you email a pic of your 7mm based on the 338 LM case.
Thanks,
Wayne

The 7mm WSM is 0.030" longer in headspace then the 270 and 300 WSM. I guess its supposed to keep the 7mm WSM from chambering in a 270 WSM chamber. To bad the 270 WSM will easily chamber in a 7mm WSM rifle and be everybit as dangerous as the other senerio would be.

We designed the 7mm-270 WSM simply because my customer wanted to use the fine Norma brass which is only offered in 270 and 300 WSM. Instead of expanding the neck up to form a needed gas seal and then fireform, we just necked the standard 270 WSM up by 0.007" and the problem was solved, quality brass and identical performance.

Good SHooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Wayne,

I posted some pics on the Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics Board. For some reason they are large in size and I could not get them any smaller no matter what I did to file size but they are there to see!

Check them out!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
we just necked the standard 270 WSM up by 0.007" and the problem was solved, quality brass and identical performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and you get a longer neck which I like. Also, you now have a wildcat instead of a boring old factory gun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.