.270 WSM vs. 7mm STW

nyrifleman,
you and I seem to think along the same lines when it comes to calibers. I had a .340wby (now a .338 RUM) and my next purchase will be a 7mm Rem, or STW. if you already have a 7mm Rem, there is no point in getting the 270... BIGGER IS BETTER!! As long as you can shoot it comfortably from any feild position why not go with the better ballistic performer! The .270 is a great deer gun, but the 7mm Rem is better (in my opinion). your set up for any game already so now your just playing. If Im getting a new toy, i want a hot F-250. not a ranger.

Started out when the STW was still a wildcat. Rechambered a 7MM Mag Browning High wall with a 28" barrel. Love the gun/barrel/caliber combination. I needed something lighter for the death marches so I got a Browning titanium in 7WSM.
Both great choices but I seem to more and more take the lighter gun. GUESS I AM JUST GETTING OLD.

I have both but I prefer the 7STW for the ranges you mentioned. I don't doubt the 270 would do it on deer but I just like the 7STW better. I got my STW when they were still a wildcat as well, it was not long though and they were on the shelf. Mine has a 28" barrel and I think it makes a difference. The draw back is the powder charge for the STW, it uses a lot. I have taken a lot of game with the STW and it seems to be my go to rifle even though it is long and a little heavier.

Angus, j870.......I REALLY like the B.C. of the 150 Swift Scirocco and the 154 Hornady Interbond. Those more than anything keep the STW in the conversation.

Angus, j870.......I REALLY like the B.C. of the 150 Swift Scirocco and the 154 Hornady Interbond. Those more than anything keep the STW in the conversation.

I wouldn't get excited about 154 gr Hornady Interbond until you get them to shoot decent. I purchased a box of 139 gr Interbonds 3 years ago and counted 20-25 crooked plastic tips in my 100 ct box of bullets. The group sizes I was getting were 2-3 times larger than with Nosler 140 gr Accubonds out of two different rifles. I sent the box back to Hornady and they were good about sending me a replacement box of bullets, but the new box came and had 21 crooked plastic tips too. I showed two co-workers the bullets. One of them wiggled one of the plastic tips and it fell out the nose of the bullet! Then they went home and examined some 30 and 338 caliber Interbonds they had purchased. Crooked tips in their boxes of bullets too! They perform well on game, if you can get them to shoot well enough out of your rifles. I shot a 1 1/2 yr old bull moose with one and no complaints on terminal performance. But I don't know what the lack of a plastic tip does to their BC ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
At 500 yards you will have fun with either. If you are not putting a brake on it do the 270 wsm. I have 7mm stw's with 26" barrels. At 500 yards shoot the light fast bullets and take the drop variable out of your shooting. Then all you got is wind. One of mine is set up to shoot the 120 grain barnes tsx at over 3700 fps. You can be nearly point blank to 500 yards. Use a mil dot scope and you can set it where you are almost one dot high to high 300's and not quite one dot low at 500. 500 yard shots are very trivial with this method. My 16 year old son shot his first antelope right through the heart this year at 512 yards with a 257 wby shooting 100 grain bullets near 3800 fps. Same principle.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.