7mm STW Reloading Thread

Hi All
I am new and from Australia
I have a 7STW built on a rem700 shilen barrel McMillian Edge stock and 3-15x44 VX-HD5. load is 162gr ELD-X 79.5 gr Retumbo for 3210fps
love the rifle

Hi all, I'm new to the 7mm STW but looking forward to working with this caliber. I picked up a Rem 700 sps, only 20 rounds through it. Nothing too special but it's got potential. I was given a small amount of Rem brass and after further break in work the gun is shooting in the .4's. But, I only have a small amount of brass. I'd like to find out what most of you are using for brass. I've seen Hornady and Nosler in stock, but no Remington. Has anyone tried the Hornady brass? How does that brass stack up to the Nosler which is 2x the price.

I've been using hornady I like it some don't. I anneal every time before resize and this batch of is on it's 8 round. Primer pockets where a little tight first couple go rounds other than that clean up the pockets resize trim and go for it.

Hi all, I'm new to the 7mm STW but looking forward to working with this caliber. I picked up a Rem 700 sps, only 20 rounds through it. Nothing too special but it's got potential. I was given a small amount of Rem brass and after further break in work the gun is shooting in the .4's. But, I only have a small amount of brass. I'd like to find out what most of you are using for brass. I've seen Hornady and Nosler in stock, but no Remington. Has anyone tried the Hornady brass? How does that brass stack up to the Nosler which is 2x the price.
I've only used Nosler brass and it's very good. I started with the Rem SPS model like you have. Do yourself a favor and drop it in a new stock. I went with a HS Precision and it's wonderful.

Thanks dougduey, I'm with you on that. I put mine in a McMillan stock. I didn't even shoot it before I changed stocks, wasn't even curious.

I have a Browning A bolt in the stw. Really like shooting the rifle but was wondering which muzzle brake to put on. Any help in making up my mind would be appreciated

I have a Vais on my Sako. My 14 year old daughter said it kicks like her 708, I think they refer to it as the friendly brake.

I have a Browning A bolt in the stw. Really like shooting the rifle but was wondering which muzzle brake to put on. Any help in making up my mind would be appreciated
Area419 makes a great brake and so does APA. Both are self timing and very easy to install yourself if you have it threaded.

I replied to this thread back in '14. I had K&P Barrels in South Dakota re-barrel a Remington 700 to 7mm STW back in '93 using a benchrest profile in stainless (I see they are still in business). I had to use 7mm Mag dies to re-size the case since it was still a wildcat at that time. I used to neck down and fire-form 8mm Mag cases and then just resize the neck with the dies during re-loading. I retired 4 months ago and have been bringing out my reloading stuff and am starting to get the bug again. I plan to make up some loads that worked really well as a varmint round...81 gr H4831 and 120 gr Nosler ballistic tip resulting in 3620 fps and 3/8" groups. Best shooting rifle that I ever had re-barreled as far as consistency goes...I will never get rid of this rifle. I hope I remember how to re-load. It's been a long while.

I live in So Cal and would like to go somewhere in and West or Northwest to go varmint hunting so if you have any suggestions i'd like to hear about it. I travel to CA, CO, WY, MT, NM, ID, etc to go fly fishing so why not mix in some varmint hunting during the trips also!

G'day all 7STW brotherhood.
I have a development you all might like to try.
While looking for powder for my 338-416 Rigby Improved, I also thought I would cross reference the same powder for other cartridges of mine...guess what?
Looks like ADI 2218 (H50BMG in USA) is a perfect burn to get a huge velocity increase and my first 5 shots went into the same hole. I only have 1lb, but there is an 8lb jug with my name on it.
I loaded up 86gr behind the Nosler 168gr ABLR just to test seating depth. Put all 5 into the same hole and was doing 3100fps.
This was a start load, so it will go faster than this, max is around 90gr.

Cheers.

While looking for powder for my 338-416 Rigby Improved, I also thought I would cross reference the same powder for other cartridges of mine...guess what?
Looks like ADI 2218 (H50BMG in USA) is a perfect burn to get a huge velocity increase and my first 5 shots went into the same hole. I only have 1lb, but there is an 8lb jug with my name on it.
I loaded up 86gr behind the Nosler 168gr ABLR just to test seating depth. Put all 5 into the same hole and was doing 3100fps.

Cheers.
That's a bad Hombre right there my friend. Goosebumps!

Cheers.
I'm running h50bmg in my 7rum with 175 eld-x pills... It's a good powder for pushing heavy pills fast, but I really haven't seen a lot of extra vel. versus other powders that are considered mag. powders.
Same goes for rl50 vs rl33... they both top out around the same speed but rl50 will burn a bit more powder to get there...
One thing the 50cal. powders will get you is a bit slower peak, which can be easier on some bullets letting you tease accuracy from them... In any case, it's a decent powder for the job.
We've burned a lot of 8700 and 5010 around here also; they are both similar burn rate to h50bmg.