7mm STW Reloading Thread

Hello everyone. I am new to the site but a long time owner of my stw. I bought my 700 bdl off the shelf in 2001. I have always bought my ammo but lucky for me santa brought me a new hornady iron press kit for Christmas. I have a mixes bag of brass including 1 box of nosler, 3 boxes of winchester nickel plated, 1 bix of bertram and about a half each of rem and federal. Powder on hand of inr 7828 and re 25. Bullets are 140gr ab, 140ttsx, and 139 interlock. My first ladder was a string of noaler brass and ab bullets and 7828 powder. Used nosler and hornady manuals. Got up to 78.5 gr seated at 3.61 and speed was 3340. No signs of pressure. Then i tried the re 25 with the pretty winchester brass and all soeed numbers are 200fps slower. 82.5 gr of the re25 seated the same only produced 2190fps. No signs of pressure however. My question is does the winchester brass have more capacity or something that is causing lower velocity? I loaded 2 rounds of 7828 at 79.5gr and only produced 3230. Supposed to be a hotter load but wasnt and only didference was the case. Also what is the best brass? I know hornady and nosler are available in bulk and maybe bertram also. Just seeking guidance from the vast knowledge this site has. I have enjoyed reading post like crazy fir a month now!!

I've been way too busy with work to finish working up a load for my Mark V. Have figured out it doesn't shoot the heavier bullets well, so focusing on 140 gr end of scale. That said, I did get an end of season whitetail hunt in with the STW since the scope on my old reliable 700 .270 is broken. Shot a nice 8 point buck with factory Nosler ballistic tip 140 at a little over 100 yards. Bullet went smooth through his chest and didn't expand or drop the deer. Didn't run far, but expected DRT, feet up results. Any suggestions on a bullet that will work for close quarters work?View attachment 117634
Looks like your exit wound was just fine, especially considering the yard Dave and muzzle velocity. You never know what the animals may do even if you make a good shot. Sometimes I don't think they get the memo!! I had a whitetail run 200 yards before pilling up. When I gutted him, his heart fell out since the shot severed it completely.
What's your barrel twist?? I'd think you should be able to shoot the 160-168 gr bullets without an issue if you are a typical 1:9 or 9.5 twist. When I put a new barrel on my rifle, I went with a 1:8 twist so I could shoot the 175 gr ELDX or 177 gr Hammer Hunters. They wouldn't stabilize in my original factory barrel

I've been way too busy with work to finish working up a load for my Mark V. Have figured out it doesn't shoot the heavier bullets well, so focusing on 140 gr end of scale. That said, I did get an end of season whitetail hunt in with the STW since the scope on my old reliable 700 .270 is broken. Shot a nice 8 point buck with factory Nosler ballistic tip 140 at a little over 100 yards. Bullet went smooth through his chest and didn't expand or drop the deer. Didn't run far, but expected DRT, feet up results. Any suggestions on a bullet that will work for close quarters work?View attachment 117634
Looked this BTip worked! I always used the 140 BTip, when I was only hunting antelope/mule deer and elk weren't on the menu.

Hello everyone. I am new to the site but a long time owner of my stw. I bought my 700 bdl off the shelf in 2001. I have always bought my ammo but lucky for me santa brought me a new hornady iron press kit for Christmas. I have a mixes bag of brass including 1 box of nosler, 3 boxes of winchester nickel plated, 1 bix of bertram and about a half each of rem and federal. Powder on hand of inr 7828 and re 25. Bullets are 140gr ab, 140ttsx, and 139 interlock. My first ladder was a string of noaler brass and ab bullets and 7828 powder. Used nosler and hornady manuals. Got up to 78.5 gr seated at 3.61 and speed was 3340. No signs of pressure. Then i tried the re 25 with the pretty winchester brass and all soeed numbers are 200fps slower. 82.5 gr of the re25 seated the same only produced 2190fps. No signs of pressure however. My question is does the winchester brass have more capacity or something that is causing lower velocity? I loaded 2 rounds of 7828 at 79.5gr and only produced 3230. Supposed to be a hotter load but wasnt and only didference was the case. Also what is the best brass? I know hornady and nosler are available in bulk and maybe bertram also. Just seeking guidance from the vast knowledge this site has. I have enjoyed reading post like crazy fir a month now!!
R25 with 140 class bullets is a little to slow. Stick with the IMR7828.

Barrel measures out at 1:10, which matches what one would expect in a factory SB prefix serial number 7mm Weatherby barrel. I have had no luck getting 168 and 162 grain bullets under 2", while my best loading with 140 AB's are around 1.5" at 100 yards. Beginning to think the rechamber was done poorly, but I've not had a gunsmith check it.

Barrel measures out at 1:10, which matches what one would expect in a factory SB prefix serial number 7mm Weatherby barrel. I have had no luck getting 168 and 162 grain bullets under 2", while my best loading with 140 AB's are around 1.5" at 100 yards. Beginning to think the rechamber was done poorly, but I've not had a gunsmith check it.
I'm surprised you have a 1:10 twist, since most factory barrels are 1:9 or 9.5. Also, I can't believe you cannot get the 140's to shoot sub moa. Something is off

My question is more about the brass than which powder to use. It seems to take less force to seat bullets in the winchester brass than it does in thd nosler or bertram brass. I ran all my brass thru the same full lenghth sizing die so is it possible that the win brass just has a weaker neck tension? Therefore the bullet is being pushed out before the pressure is where it ahould be? And if this is the problem can i compensate for it by seating the bullet slightly deeper to hold it longer and get the pressure up more?

There's been a bunch of critters killed and a ton of Sub.5 groups on this thread with the 140 CT's and I mean a ton
In my STW the CTs are dead accurate and fast, but danged do they blow up under 300 yards. Whitetail are DRT but I would not try them on anything requiring more penetration.

I have a Browning A bolt rechambered in stw with a 26in barrel.
Remington brass
Federal match magnum primer
78.5grn H1000
168grn able
Crono 3100fps
Looking to put a brake on it still unsure which kind to use. Really leaning towards Nsthans at muzzle brakes and more.

I have a Browning A bolt rechambered in stw with a 26in barrel.
Remington brass
Federal match magnum primer
78.5grn H1000
168grn able
Crono 3100fps
Looking to put a brake on it still unsure which kind to use. Really leaning towards Nsthans at muzzle brakes and more.
I have a couple of the Area419 muzzle brakes and really like them. Just get your barrel threaded and you can install the self timing brake yourself.

Nosler is the best brass you can find for the STW