7mm STW Reloading Thread

drew a antelope tag. I have been loading barnes ttsx 140 gr. have not taken anything yet with the barnes bullet. question is would the barnes be to solid for a antelope? just past thru if no bone was impacted.would something like a A max or V max be better for a thin skin animal? thanks

Try a 168 Berger VLD for whitetail/antelope sized game. I've had excellent results with them out of my 7mm RemMag on deer.

drew a antelope tag. I have been loading barnes ttsx 140 gr. have not taken anything yet with the barnes bullet. question is would the barnes be to solid for a antelope? just past thru if no bone was impacted.would something like a A max or V max be better for a thin skin animal? thanks
Thge 140 Barnes will take anything from deer to Elk ....... They are an awesome Bullet with the best weight retention I have ever seen .....They far surpass the Berger bullet in every way .......Hands down the deadliest bullet next to the Nosler Partition that I have ever seen

Thge 140 Barnes will take anything from deer to Elk ....... They are an awesome Bullet with the best weight retention I have ever seen .....They far surpass the Berger bullet in every way .......Hands down the deadliest bullet next to the Nosler Partition that I have ever seen

Ditto!

Please explain this one... Because they sure don't surpass it in BC. And I shot Barnes 160 TSX bullets out of my 7mm RemMags for years (Federal P7RK factory ammo, still have a couple boxes stashed away), and while they are a good bullet, I don't see how they "far surpass the Berger bullet" in any way, other than weight retention.

Please explain this one... Because they sure don't surpass it in BC. And I shot Barnes 160 TSX bullets out of my 7mm RemMags for years (Federal P7RK factory ammo, still have a couple boxes stashed away), and while they are a good bullet, I don't see how they "far surpass the Berger bullet" in any way, other than weight retention.
Really.........He never asked about a Berger Bullet and he never asked about a 160 or a 168 anything .....he asked about a 140 Barnes and in my opinion and as has it has been discussed here many of times over and over the Berger Bullet in the STW turns things into hamburger with run offs and in unrecovered animals.... I'm glad your 7828 ssc and Bergers are working for you .......all I can figure is you making some kind of commission off of 7828ssc and Berger Bullets

Funny, I never mentioned a powder brand or type regarding his post, so that comment is completely irrelevant. I get no commission off of anything. I am not associated with anything or anyone or any company. I am only here to learn, and to help. NOT to start ****ing matches with everyone about everything I don't agree with... Like a lot of people on here. For some reason, that crap just seems to always find me.

He asked about a 140gr Barnes. HOWEVER, he also asked about what other types of bullets people would recommend, that would work better on thin-skinned game, and as we hunt whitetails down here, they are similar in build and size to antelope. Therefore, I gave my opinion as to what has worked well for me. He also asked about bullets that would expend more energy into thin-skinned game, instead of just passing through. Once again, the Bergers have done their job well for me when it comes to that aspect. I shoot them about 3,115 fps out of my 7mm RemMag, so as far as high velocities and Bergers, I have had zero "hamburger" issues. That's why I shoot them in the lungs BEHIND the shoulder, and not IN the shoulder.

Funny, I never mentioned a powder brand or type regarding his post, so that comment is completely irrelevant. I get no commission off of anything. I am not associated with anything or anyone or any company. I am only here to learn, and to help. NOT to start ****ing matches with everyone about everything I don't agree with... Like a lot of people on here. For some reason, that crap just seems to always find me.

He asked about a 140gr Barnes. HOWEVER, he also asked about what other types of bullets people would recommend, that would work better on thin-skinned game, and as we hunt whitetails down here, they are similar in build and size to antelope. Therefore, I gave my opinion as to what has worked well for me. He also asked about bullets that would expend more energy into thin-skinned game, instead of just passing through. Once again, the Bergers have done their job well for me when it comes to that aspect. I shoot them about 3,115 fps out of my 7mm RemMag, so as far as high velocities and Bergers, I have had zero "hamburger" issues. That's why I shoot them in the lungs BEHIND the shoulder, and not IN the shoulder.
7mm Mag Huh????.... This is the STW site ...... Your a Legend in your own mind ..... And That will be my last word on the subject

7mm Mag Huh????.... This is the STW site ...... Your a Legend in your own mind ..... And That will be my last word on the subject

Yep, 7 mag... I know this is the STW forum...I have 2 of those as well. As for being a legend...That's hilarious. I am just a regular guy, just like 99% of the people who frequent here.

I'm pretty sure this is a forum, and they're for asking questions, sharing opinions, and people giving advice. Just because you don't agree with someone else's doesn't mean you have to be a ***** every time someone states an opposing opinion.

Last I checked, you were the one who started all this crap-slinging. All I did was offer an opinion to SOMEONE ELSE (not you), and you were the first one to single out my post and oppose it.

Now, if you would like to post scientific proof as to why the "140 Barnes TTSX is better in every way than the Berger", I am more than willing to listen (just so you can't say that I'm being unreasonable). But the reason "because I said it is" is not going to fly as hard evidence.

Also, I never said Bergers were the best bullets in the world, and everything else was garbage...I have said that FOR ME AND IN MY EXPERIENCES, they have been the best bullets I've ever shot, both at the range, and in the field.

What works for me, might not work for you. But I will still post my recommendation, when someone asks for it. Your opinion is not the only one that matters around here. Last I checked, everyone's opinion should be of equal worth.

I shot Antelope from 100 to 500 last year with a 140 TSX. Some hit bone, some didn't. None of them "just passed thru".

Apples and oranges. Two totally different designs and its not a fair comparison. I have killed more game with my 7stw and the "original X" ( 140 grain w/ acculube 10X coating ) than any other bullet. But I have switched to the 168 classic hunter for its excellent ballistic characteristics and have been pleased with its performance. Does it kill like an X? No but it kills just fine.

Recent Posts