7mm STW Reloading Thread

I'm loading 143 HH with 79 gr RL 26 in my STW getting 3350. I've taken it over 3650 fps just shoots so good and is easy on brass where I have it. Nosler brass and Fed 215.

With hammers I shoot a ladder to find pressure and then either back off just a little or pick a velocity flat spot and you are usually done. Crimp tune from there if it doesn't do what you want for groups
Thank you for your help.

Would anyone have a suggestion for the powder I should use and a starting charge? I have retumbo, H4831SC and ramshot Hunter available. Will be using 143 grain Hammer Hunters and nosler brass. This will be out of a stock Winchester mod 70. I was leaning towards the retumbo but looking through this tread most say to use retumbo with heavier grain bullets. I only have 1/9 twist so I'm limited to lighter but faster bullets
Thanks all

I have the same set up as you. My rifle does not like Retumbo for some reason. I use 4831 for lighter bullets. I have not used Hammer bullets yet but plan on it in the near future. I'm having good results with 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. You may get ahold of Hammer and get their suggestion.

Would anyone have a suggestion for the powder I should use and a starting charge? I have retumbo, H4831SC and ramshot Hunter available. Will be using 143 grain Hammer Hunters and nosler brass. This will be out of a stock Winchester mod 70. I was leaning towards the retumbo but looking through this tread most say to use retumbo with heavier grain bullets. I only have 1/9 twist so I'm limited to lighter but faster bullets
Thanks all
Use Nosler load data for their 140gr bullets to get yourself started. You'll end up past their published max. I'd go with H4831 from the powders you listed. I use RL26 and I'm over 3500 fps with the same bullets.......not sure if H4831 will get you there velocity wise

This might help.

Screenshot_20221221_124654_Kindle.jpg

Thanks guys. Just wondering why retumbo wouldn't be a good match for such a large case volume
It may work fine, I just never tried it. My load data is from about 4-5 years ago when I first started loading Hammer bullets and RL26 was the "it" powder. I never found pressure but felt I was getting close and was nervous because I never pushed a bullet that fast before.
It won't hurt you to try it and you may get great results.
If you decide to run the Absolute bullets, then you will need a much faster powder but the Hunters work well with powders in the bullet weight for typical cup/core type

Rem 700 DBM factory rifle, 24" BBL, 143 hammer hunter, 79.5gr R26, Fed215 in Hornady brass. Chrono at 3250fps. 100yds after a thorough cleaning. Am I leaving anything on the table or just run it?

Attachments

• IMG_20230724_122110150.jpg
    IMG_20230724_122110150.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27