7mm STW Reloading Thread

This sounds great!! Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Do you neck size as well as crimp?? I was just wondering as I only have dies with neck bushings. I am limited somewhat with the 1:9 twist with these bullets but I am really looking forward to building some loads up for this new rifle. It is zeroed in at 200 with 168 gr Bergers and shoots them very well as long as I do my part. Thank you again...
I'm assuming you resize your brass in 2 steps with a body die first, then the neck sizer using a bushing. I bump the shoulder back .002" with a full sizing die. I do have the body die and neck sizer with bushing combo, but have found I get such great results with minimal run out using the FS die, so I rarely do the 2 step method. That being said, the body and NS die will serve you well.

Crimp after the bullet is seated Search for ButterBeans post called "why I crimp" and it will answer every and all questions you may have.

FYI, Hammers don't mind jump. Most of us who have been loading Hammers for some time, prefer to seat them deeper to the point of the last drive band (towards the tip). The crimp works better into the area between (the "valley") the drive bands.

B
This sounds great!! Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Do you neck size as well as crimp?? I was just wondering as I only have dies with neck bushings. I am limited somewhat with the 1:9 twist with these bullets but I am really looking forward to building some loads up for this new rifle. It is zeroed in at 200 with 168 gr Bergers and shoots them very well as long as I do my part. Thank you again...
Beautiful rifle😍

RL26 gives great accuracy and velocity with the 143 Hunter. 82.9 gr RL26 gives 3538 fps. I never actually found pressure but assumed I was getting close. This was the first Hammer bullet I loaded when I began using them over 5 years ago. I got nervous because I couldn't believe how fast that bullet was going. I've since moved on to the 177 Hunter just because I like a heavier bullet and it shoots 3 shot groups into one hole

You'll never go wrong with H1000 in the STW.
RL25 will also work really well with the 143. Use Nosler's load data to get yourself started. Loads with just about every powder end up around 80.0gr plus or minus 1-2 gr. Funny how that works out.
And get yourself a Lee factory crimp die. It's a must have.
Are you still using RL 26 with the 177s?

I have ordered the crimping die after watching Butter Beans video...I am getting somewhat OCD the older I get and tuning loads fits perfect into the mind set. It says a lot for men I have never met to go out of their way to answer questions and give valuable advice. I wish I would have joined this forum sooner but kind of have the old timey back ground. I am venturing out a little so just want to thank you men for making me feel welcome.

Welcome to the forum. As you've seen, lots of good guys here that can help you out. Let us know how you make out.

I tried the 143s in 2 different 7mm Rem Mags with H4350. Tremendous results. Haven't tried 4350 in my stw yet though

I have ordered the crimping die after watching Butter Beans video...I am getting somewhat OCD the older I get and tuning loads fits perfect into the mind set. It says a lot for men I have never met to go out of their way to answer questions and give valuable advice. I wish I would have joined this forum sooner but kind of have the old timey back ground. I am venturing out a little so just want to thank you men for making me feel welcome.
Bean is a good friend of mine. He went out of his way to help me tune in my STW almost a decade ago………and that was the beginning of our friendship. Met a lot of really good people on this site. As all the STW owners say, "welcome to the brotherhood"!!

I'm loading 143 HH with 79 gr RL 26 in my STW getting 3350. I've taken it over 3650 fps just shoots so good and is easy on brass where I have it. Nosler brass and Fed 215.

With hammers I shoot a ladder to find pressure and then either back off just a little or pick a velocity flat spot and you are usually done. Crimp tune from there if it doesn't do what you want for groups

Recent Posts