7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Thanks for the welcome to the brotherhood now ttime to save some money up for a scope and brass. I picked up a couple boxes of lead a box of 139 grain SST which shoot awesome out of my 300 wsm and a box of 145 grain barnes LRX which i use in RUM has anybody tried these bullets Thx Dan

Thanks for the welcome to the brotherhood now ttime to save some money up for a scope and brass. I picked up a couple boxes of lead a box of 139 grain SST which shoot awesome out of my 300 wsm and a box of 145 grain barnes LRX which i use in RUM has anybody tried these bullets Thx Dan
The 145 Barnes with some RL25 Proved itself this year as a lethal and very accurate combo .....The SST is a fine Bullet as well and I have great results with them but as for me and 7STW The Barnes Bullet is the smoke rite now in the STW ......and once again welcome to the Brother hood .......

I've been shooting the 160gr Nosler Accubonds for years with great results. Fairly recently started reloading, and have been experimenting with different powders, and so far with the 160 AB's my gun likes RL-19 and RL-22, and pushed about 0.010" off the lands.

Hey Bean....Does yours prefer to be touching the lands or do you like to leave some freebore for jump?

Dan, again welcome to the "Hood ", and congrats on the DBM. I am flat put on love with the Barnes 145 LRX. That bullet in my custom STW, shoots like a 22-250. Accuracy, was almost as expected, or better actually, but I was looking for terminal performance when I chose that bullet. I would have sacrificed a little accuracy, for good terminal, and believe me, I got both.
If you start around 80 grains of RL25, and work up slowly. You may not actually need to move from the start weight. My seatin depth runs at 3.688. Most STW's shoot there best right up against box length. When and if you do increse you chrge on the RL25, watch for pressure signs. I love that powder in this round, but it can/ will spike quickly. I am getting 3440 with mine, with low ES,SD to boot. Another great powder in almost any STW is H1000. Great burn rate, accurate and consistent.
Take care and enjoy, send pix when you get the custom gun built.

Anybody try RL 33 for 180's?

I loaded some 171 barnes with rl33 and pressure was dang high by 86 grains. With the 180 I'd start in the mid 70's and work 'till you hit pressure. I've only got a pound and a half rl33 left, so I'm saving it for heavies (225 hornady hpbt) in my 30 rum. I'm burning rl25, retumbo, or rl22 in the stw.

Anybody try RL 33 for 180's?

Hey Bob, if you google RL33, you may find their spread sheet on the STW loads. I saw it a while back, and I forget if there was a listing on the 180. But it is recommended for the STW and higher weight bullets. Do you have that powder available in your area? I don't need any, as I am set with my formulas, but a friend of mine is REALLY looking for it, but it hasn't made it's way around here yet, especially now!

It's available online. Nobody has anything around here. Everybody went nuts, the world is coming to an end evidently.

Yeah, or so one would think!! You may want to consider RL25. that stuff seems to run well in what I am using it for, and is better suited for the heavies as well. And it's probably a little more easy to acquire too! I have two lbs of it, and my gunshop has 5 more lbs of it.
On another note, I think that new barrel you are getting is going to make that rifle be a whole different animal now! Congrats, that was a good buy.:)

I'm getting excited about my STW build. The Whiskey 3 chassis came in this week, the gunsmith emailed yesterday and said the action/barrel assembly is in the mail on it's way.
I ordered a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm TMR reticle for it. It should be in by the end of next week.

Based off a Sako TRG-s m995 action, it has a Kreiger SS #6 contour barrel installed, 1-9 twist, with a JP Enterprises Bennie Cooley brake. The Whiskey 3 chassis from Kinetic Research is amazing.
Now if the snow would hurry up and melt away, I will be able to get to the range.
Then I can start my favorite process of any new rifle, load development.

Has anyone had a chance to try the new Nosler Accubond LR stuff? I have yet to see any of it here in Canada.

I'll post pictures and soon as I get it all assembled. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve, waiting for this to come together.

I'm getting excited about my STW build. The Whiskey 3 chassis came in this week, the gunsmith emailed yesterday and said the action/barrel assembly is in the mail on it's way.
I ordered a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm TMR reticle for it. It should be in by the end of next week.

Based off a Sako TRG-s m995 action, it has a Kreiger SS #6 contour barrel installed, 1-9 twist, with a JP Enterprises Bennie Cooley brake. The Whiskey 3 chassis from Kinetic Research is amazing.
Now if the snow would hurry up and melt away, I will be able to get to the range.

Has anyone had a chance to try the new Nosler Accubond LR stuff? I have yet to see any of it here in Canada.

I'll post pictures and soon as I get it all assembled. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve, waiting for this to come together.

Fire306, congrats on your new build, and it sounds like that is going to be a nail driver for sure. And I know what you mean about the snow business. We just got nearly 2 feet yesterday, on top of what we already have had. This winter has sucked. Haven't had much trigger time because of it! :rolleyes: I am looking forward to some good weather myself.
That rifle you are building sounds like it is the best of the best. Kreiger barrels are tough to beat. I am building a 280 as we speak, on a Brux barrel. Time will tell, but I've heard nothing but good things about them, from everyone that has experience with them. Post up some pix when you get it together! " Its beginning to Feel a lot like Christmas".......:) Take care, enjoy the ride! It's worth the wait!

RL25 is my "go to" but was wondering about the 33. Barrel will be here Monday. One week from order to my door. Not too bad.

Congrats! Sounds like a nasty rifle! Bet she'll be a shooter.

Also, I'm pretty sure Nosler said the Accubond LR's won't be available until April or May...But I could be wrong. I have found that the regular 160gr Accubonds work excellent out of my STW. I have also loaded up some Berger 180gr VLD Hunting Match bullets to do some load development. Once I get a good load figured out I will post my findings.

I'm out of town at the moment, but if you'd like I can post up some load data for the 160gr Accubonds, that works really good in my STW.