7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Hi guys I have been following the brother hood since almost the first post. Have not posted yet as my knowledge is limited to 140 grn BT and Partitions and RL 22 so not a lot of info to share. I have stuck with 140 grn as the largest deer in UK is the Red deer and the 140 partitions flattens them so had no need to change but I will be trying the new Barnes LRX when we can get them over here. My rifle is a Sako 995 with a shileen match grade barrel at 26 inches and a schmidt and bender 4-12 power scope which was put on the day it arrived and has never been taken off. It was built back in 1997 if I remember correctly. The original stock was used but stifend it with aluminium so I could keep the magazine. THe Barrel is a bit fire cracked now and could do with replacing it was chamberd with a Foregreens reamer with .135 free bore if I was to go up to 160+ grn bullets how much freebore would you recommend? Hope to take it to Sweden this year to hunt moose. I will try to attach a couple of photos. love the forum visit nearly every day to see whats happening great informatuion keep it up guys.
Martin M UK
Have a gunsmith inspect it. In all likelihood it can just be set back a few turns and rechambered unless you simply want to rebarrel.

Winchester Actions .........#1 Push Feed #2 Controled Round Push Feed #3 Controlled round Feed #4 Controlled Round Feed (new FN)

Attachments

• Model 70 Bolts 001.jpg
    Model 70 Bolts 001.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Model 70 Bolts 003.jpg
    Model 70 Bolts 003.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 9
I am still working up a load for my 7stw just started reloading. Thinking about Imr 7828 and some 140gr sierra gamekings and some 160gr speer deep curl with rl25 for starting out. Here are some pictures of deer we had on camera the first three are in a friends backyard in town and the last one is one I am letting grow a while.

Attachments

• 0820120940a95248959.jpg
    0820120940a95248959.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 0819121557a95205485.jpg
    0819121557a95205485.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 0[2].jpg
    0[2].jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 7
  • WGI_0012.jpg
    WGI_0012.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 8
Anyone using the 160 a-bond in their 7stw??
Shooters pro shop has some as over-runs. Just a wee bit of savings.

Hey Lefty,
I've been using them as my 7mm STW mag load for spook and shoot as my long range 162gn A maxs are too fragile for anything up close to be 100% confident of a humane kill.
They seem pretty tough and lung shot red deer tend to wander off alittle before they fall over.
I have recovered one 160gr Accubond from a smaller sika hind i shot on the run at 20 yards, took out about 7 ribs and stopped in her hip bone.

I use to use the 140gr Accubonds in a 7 rem mag and they put the animals down quicker.

Regards Steve.

Winchester Actions .........#1 Push Feed #2 Controled Round Push Feed #3 Controlled round Feed #4 Controlled Round Feed (new FN)
Pardon my ignorance but... .

What is the difference between 3 and 4. I'm assuming my new EW has the number 4. It will not shoot single shot if you hand feed the round. My other's will but they are older.

Can the modern version be modified to work like they do? I'm much more comfortable having the option of three in the hole and one in the pipe than 2+1 and if it's easy to accomplish I'd like to modify the EW's bolt to do so.

Thanks.

Hey Lefty,
I've been using them as my 7mm STW mag load for spook and shoot as my long range 162gn A maxs are too fragile for anything up close to be 100% confident of a humane kill.
They seem pretty tough and lung shot red deer tend to wander off alittle before they fall over.
I have recovered one 160gr Accubond from a smaller sika hind i shot on the run at 20 yards, took out about 7 ribs and stopped in her hip bone.

I use to use the 140gr Accubonds in a 7 rem mag and they put the animals down quicker.

Regards Steve.
I have had a box or two and usually use 140's; just puting it up in case someone wants to save a $ or ten.

I'm going to play with seating depth on my 140 A-bonds myself. I had loaded two different 100 round boxes to slightly different depths years ago( the last rifle simply had no cares and would shoot 1/2 moa either way). I realized the other day I had bumped back ALL the rounds when I noticed two different seat depths but had been shooting for groups with the longer ammo. It's only .050", but some rifles actually seem to care about seat depth a bit.

A question about barrels. Would a 7mm, 8.5 twist, fluted, finished at 28 inches, Brux 15 Palma work as a blank to bore out to an STW? I am thinking if using my old 7mm action and get a new barrel. Then a New stock. Found this barrel for 450. Will it work? Or, what is the route I should follow to get a barrel? Thanks for the input.

I'd go look again and see if it's a sharpshooter. If it is it's a bargain at that price if it's in good condition.

Just out of curiosity I called Hendershots this morning and it's just a Winchester Model 70 Classic SS and not a Sharpshooter. Lance (from Hendershots) said it was a excellent shape (he looked at the bore with a bore scope when the rifle was traded in) and he said if he were to guess that it has only about 100 rounds shot through it.

If anyone is interested, here's another Winchester Model 70 Classic SS in 7mm STW on Armslist for $700 for the rifle only and $1,000 for the rifle with alot of extras! It looks like this rifle is in great shape too.

ARMSLIST - For Sale: Winchester model 70 Stainless Classic Sporter 7 STW

Pardon my ignorance but... .

What is the difference between 3 and 4. I'm assuming my new EW has the number 4. It will not shoot single shot if you hand feed the round. My other's will but they are older.

Can the modern version be modified to work like they do? I'm much more comfortable having the option of three in the hole and one in the pipe than 2+1 and if it's easy to accomplish I'd like to modify the EW's bolt to do so.

Thanks.

I haven't tried single loading the FN version (#4 in the pic). The Classic Stainless (New Haven, #3 in the pic) extractor is more rounded on the front (maybe to help it cam out over the cartridge rim?). Besides being able to cam over the rim, there must be enough room at the breech to allow the extractor to flex outwards adequately to cam over the rim.

Interesting that there are so many variations; if you look at the threaded section of the FN striker assembly, you will see that it won't interchange with the New Haven parts........

Jim

A question about barrels. Would a 7mm, 8.5 twist, fluted, finished at 28 inches, Brux 15 Palma work as a blank to bore out to an STW? I am thinking if using my old 7mm action and get a new barrel. Then a New stock. Found this barrel for 450. Will it work? Or, what is the route I should follow to get a barrel? Thanks for the input.

Marioq, yes, no, pros, and cons. First the YES. Yes it will work, and a fine barrel at that. Price seems to in the park. The 8.5 twist is for the really heavy stuff, like 195 grain. So, here comes the NO. I would go withe the no, IF you are going to be shooting " normal" weight 7mm bullets. ( 140-175 grain). Now for the pros! That is a excellent barrel, and those Palma contoured blanks have been the begging of a lot of tack drivers, and they break in quick too. The " cons" would be the weight of the gun, due to the barrel weight, but as long you are good with that, it really isn't a problem. Most of my guns are heavy barrels, and I don't mind toting them, because normally it's to a blind, or tree stand.
So, if you were to decide on another barrel, you might want to check Bruno Supply. They have famous make barrels, in stock, and their prices are very reasonable. Or, you can go to the individual barrel makers website. Sometimes, they have some sizes in stock, and ready to ship. Deciding on a barrel is a critical step. You have to be sure to get what you want, because once it's threaded, and reamed, you own it!

I am still working up a load for my 7stw just started reloading. Thinking about Imr 7828 and some 140gr sierra gamekings and some 160gr speer deep curl with rl25 for starting out. Here are some pictures of deer we had on camera the first three are in a friends backyard in town and the last one is one I am letting grow a while.

Fine looking potential " Wallhangers" for sure. I like the one in the second pic, on the left, and that one you are feeding, is " mity fine " . Keep feeding him!!
If you have a 26 in pipe, the rl25 will work just fine for the 140's as well. I have been using it since last spring, and I am getting nice velocity, lower ES, SD, and most of all, less pressure. Enjoy!

Recent Posts