7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

The velocity/ accuracy/bbl. life curves cross at the 7 STW. The 7 RUM is more noise, recoil, bbl. wear, and $$ for very little benefit. The 7 STW tests bullet performance, not all bullets work well; the 7 RUM adds a bit of stress to the bullet situation, especially inside 200 yds.

The old Rem. 7 Mag does very well, and if one is willing to use a long bbl., close to STW velocity can be reached. Truth is, no game animal (or hunter, for that matter) will see the difference 100 fps more or less makes, at "reasonable" ranges. To prove it to yourself, run the numbers on a good ballistic program; while you're at it, plug in some atmospheric extremes and see the differences they cause!

Not trying to minimize the 7 STW; I got one of the early STW Senderos and still have it, along with a 7 STW Sendero that I had rebarreled with a Krieger STW bbl. Just looking at real world results.........as usual, YMMV!!:)

Jim

Jim , you said all that so well, and it legitimizes my own experiences with the STW, and the 7 RUM. First and foremost, I have, and always will be a STW nut, from way back, I really understand this bullet more than I do any other caliber. ( hence the name, go figure).
I have always thought that the 7 rum was, is just too much of a good thing, and it really can not burn all the powder IN the barrel, which in turn translates to noise, insane muzzle flash, and terrible barrel life. The one, and most important thing about the STW, is that it is SHOOTABLE, and has at least decent barrel life, if you don't get carried away with the nitro.
I had a 7 rum, and to be totally honest, I bought it just to see what all the hype was about. Well, long story short, my STW's shoot circles around it, and by the time I found a load that would shoot, it was really no more than a STW in reality. I also found it finicky, and brass life sucked.
All said and done, the STW is the max overbore that a seven can be. Anymore becomes noise, blast, and burned out barrels, way to **** quick. I love this caliber and always will. In fact, I like almost anything 7mm. I have a new 280 being concepted as we speak.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!!

Guys, on a totally different side note, I was in my favorite gun shop today, and was told that the national instant check service was backed up. They said all lines were busy, call back later. This has been going on since last weekend. This particular shop HAD a fair inventory of AR frames, and all of them, GONE. People are panicking, thinking that a ban is imminent. The phones were ringing off the wall asking about AR rifles, and for that matter, the wait situation. I'm afraid this is going to get ugly. We can thank the media for this.

Guys, on a totally different side note, I was in my favorite gun shop today, and was told that the national instant check service was backed up. They said all lines were busy, call back later. This has been going on since last weekend. This particular shop HAD a fair inventory of AR frames, and all of them, GONE. People are panicking, thinking that a ban is imminent. The phones were ringing off the wall asking about AR rifles, and for that matter, the wait situation. I'm afraid this is going to get ugly. We can thank the media for this.
Same here todat Bro ....all the Ar's were gone ...place was packed trying to order them ....Like you said its gonna be ugly

Not really suprised. There is no good thing coming out of this. If they would properly punish the offenders of the laws we already and realize that all commonsence laws already exhist The better off we'll be.

This is a good one I just saw:

66785_476629342378857_1527036780_n.jpg

Yup, I can verify that load, cause that's the one I use in two STW's. One is with a 145 LRX, and the other is with a 140 partition. All are with 215 GM federal primers. One is with Winchester brass, the other is with A- Square brass. Velocity is smokin, but work up to it gradually. In the Remington Action, I am running a OAL of 3.688. In the Winchester rifle, I am running at 3.630 OAL. Enjoy, be careful. That RL25 is some awesome stuff.
7stw, gerry was talking about 82 gr rl25 with a 180---- bad idea---not the 140 load we both use at 82 gr rl25 and a 215. 78gr. rl25 is about it with a 175 class pill in the stw, and most books are falling to 75-76 grains lately.
Couple of pages back now but I thought I'd pipe up anyway.

7stw, gerry was talking about 82 gr rl25 with a 180---- bad idea---not the 140 load we both use at 82 gr rl25 and a 215. 78gr. rl25 is about it with a 175 class pill in the stw, and most books are falling to 75-76 grains lately.
Couple of pages back now but I thought I'd pipe up anyway.

When I was staring to load the 180g VLDs, I contacted Berger for load data. Walt sent me data from Quick load for them and included was RL-25 It lists the max load being 73.0g with a 94.7% Case fill with a COAL of 3.600"

I chose not to use RL-25 and instead went with retumbo which has a 98.7% case fill at 78.8g max charge. This is conservative in my rifle due to the increased capacity because of the increased COAL. Still I only use 79g Better to be safe.

82g of RL-25 with a 180g? Not a good idea. I'm with Lefty here.

Dan

When I was staring to load the 180g VLDs, I contacted Berger for load data. Walt sent me data from Quick load for them and included was RL-25 It lists the max load being 73.0g with a 94.7% Case fill with a COAL of 3.600"

I chose not to use RL-25 and instead went with retumbo which has a 98.7% case fill at 78.8g max charge. This is conservative in my rifle due to the increased capacity because of the increased COAL. Still I only use 79g Better to be safe.

82g of RL-25 with a 180g? Not a good idea. I'm with Lefty here.

Dan
"Too Much of a Good thing" sometimes turns out very bad.

As many of us metion law of diminishing returns. When you push it too far there is no benefit just more problems.

Yup, I can verify that load, cause that's the one I use in two STW's. One is with a 145 LRX, and the other is with a 140 partition. All are with 215 GM federal primers. One is with Winchester brass, the other is with A- Square brass. Velocity is smokin, but work up to it gradually. In the Remington Action, I am running a OAL of 3.688. In the Winchester rifle, I am running at 3.630 OAL. Enjoy, be careful. That RL25 is some awesome stuff.

Oops, my BAD, mis read the bullet weight, DO NOT USE THAT LOAD FOR THE 180 grain bullet. WAY too much pressure, ( some assembly may be required if you do! ).
RL 25 is a good powder for that weight bullet, just NOT that much. Follow Dano's lead on that weight bullet, as he is a user of the 180 grain bullet, more that I .
Pardon the over site, and mis read!!!!!
Nice pick up Lefty!!!!

Here ya go

Guys, I picked up a box of these , just to give them a try, I'm going to tell, these babies are LOOOONNNGGGGGG. Holy crap!
I really got them for my sons 7 mag, as his gun shoots the 168 better then the 140. I have NO DOUBT theses things will shoot well. I thought the 168 Bergers were long, the things are like Torpedoes!!!

P / S, I am referring to 168 LRX bullets. Click on the icon to see the actual bullet in Black Sheeps original post. WOW.

Has any one looked at or used the Hornaday 139gr. GMX BC. .486 It seems to me this is comparable to the Barnes 145 LRX but has a better coeficent. Both are all copper.
Brush

I went to 78 grains rl25 with my 171 barnes in my 7stw but it was stout; 75 gr shot a lot better.
Rl 33 may be a heck of a ticket here too, but it didn't sem to like being pushed at all the first time I tried it in the 7stw before hunting season came upon us. The pressure was already there at the lower charge though. I need to play more with it in both my 300rum and my 7stw, as it really seems to do well in the rum with 225's and should be a hoot with 140's in the 7stw. I may break 3400 fps in a 24" pipe with it; gotta hope anyway.

Has any one looked at or used the Hornaday 139gr. GMX BC. .486 It seems to me this is comparable to the Barnes 145 LRX but has a better coeficent. Both are all copper.
Brush

Brush, actually, the BC on the 145 LRX is also .486. I have shot few of the other Hornady bullets, and they shoot well, as expected, but have not shot any of the " monolithic copper bullets" . I have no doubt they will shoot, and perform well. I am just hooked on these LRX, TTSX, and TSX bullets. They just plain work.
Hornady seems to have gone through a great transition. Years ago, I couldn't get a Hornady bullet to shoot worth a ****. My kid has a seven mag that will shoot 162 A Maxes into a dot , all day long. Hornady makes a good product, and they also make some awesome dies as well. Good luck, and Happy Holidays..

7STW I have seen some of your load data and velocity reportings with the 145lrx and I was wondering what barrel manufactor and barrel length are you shooting them pills through ?