7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Doug, the rig looks nice, fast and sleek. How fast are those bergers moving? You can probably take a whitetail over a 1000 easily. That's a big bullet.

Per the Shootin Chrono (which I don't exactly trust) I'm getting about 2925fps. I could push them to almost 3000 but they shot so good at 77 grains I stopped. Hopefully I'll get out this week and confirm my drop at some distance. Looking at the charts they should still have about 1124 ft-lbs at 1000yds.

Thanks,

RH

Per the Shootin Chrono (which I don't exactly trust) I'm getting about 2925fps. I could push them to almost 3000 but they shot so good at 77 grains I stopped. Hopefully I'll get out this week and confirm my drop at some distance. Looking at the charts they should still have about 1124 ft-lbs at 1000yds.

Thanks,

RH

That's actually not that far off. I'm shooting the 180g Berger with 79g of Retumbo out of a 27" Tube at 2989fps being a 10 shot average with the sd being 12fps.

You have a nice rig, I have the same scope on my 7stw it has the Varmit Hunters reticle, helps with follow up shots after dialing it in if necessary. Yours also looks similar to mine, but mine is glossy not matte.

Later,

Dan

180 grains hitting at a little over 1000 fps sounds like a hammer! The whitetail will feel like a sudden heartache and not know a thing. Not a bad way to go when you think about it. Dinner is served.

i just found this thread while looking for 7 mm stw info. In april i purchased my first stw-a nib winchester model 70 classic ss then a month ago i found a weatherby mark v. Synthetic in 7 mm stw has a monarch 5.5 x 6.5 x 44 on it. Also has a muzzlebrake. I couldn't resist at $650. Today i put a zeiss conquest 3x9x40 on the winchester. I hope to get some range time soon. I will shoot some factory loads to break in the winchester then reload the brass for both guns. Good info here thanks.

Remington 700sps ss 257 weatherby magnum
kimber 8400 classic 300 wsm
weatherby mark v 240 weatherby magnum

welcome to the brotherhood!!!

I just got my first 7mm STW back from the gunsmith last week.

Factory Rem 700 SPS in 7mm STW
Bell&Carlson Alaskan II stock
Jewell trigger
Shrew muzzle break
Wyatts 4" extended mag box
sniper grey Cerecote
Talley base/rings
6.5-20x50 VX3

I took her out to the range this week and shot back to back 1/3 moa groups at 100 and 200 yards with 180 Berger hunting VLD's over 77 grains of Retumbo and Fed215GM's at coal 3!

"I think I've just joined the brotherhood"

Untitled-10.jpg

Great thread!

Thanks,

Doug

Boy those "Goats" had better head to Colorado or Montana,,,,and FAST!!!

These charts are from Shooting Times Feb. 1996.The rifle used was a Browning A-Bolt with a 24" barrel.

7STWLOADS014.jpg

The bullet used for this test chart was a Sierra 140gr.

7STWLOADS012.jpg

If you notice the top velocity while in pressure range in the previous post none are over 3400 fps on a 140 with a 24" barrel. I'm honestly surprised at the 7828 acting as slow as it does, as I was getting 61,00 to 64,000 psi with 78 grains with my strain guage at 78 gr with the 140 sierra in my sendero. Maybe their rifle had a rather long throat??

btw, thanks for the above post; I hadn't seen those charts before.

Last edited:
Well, I capitulated to the rifle and bought more of the 140 accubonds for my lh 7mmstw. I looked back at my data and it was the only bullet that was consistantly sub moa(when I did my part) and above 3300 fps. I'll be trying the 171 in my 7rem and already have some pulled bullets loaded with retumbo(gotta use it somewhere) to try out. I'm almost to the end of 80 degree plus weather in N.D., so I'd better get moving with the 7rem.

These charts are from Shooting Times Feb. 1996.The rifle used was a Browning A-Bolt with a 24" barrel.

7STWLOADS014.jpg

The bullet used for this test chart was a Sierra 140gr.

7STWLOADS012.jpg

I have that magazine, and I remember when it came out. It was written by Rick Jamison. I have found that he uses a very scientific approach to the things he writes about, and is always spot on , on his results and research. He holds no punches, and only states the facts as he sees them. I have used that chart from time to time as a reference, and have coined a few of those loads, and actually use a few of them to this day. That article is a classic write up, and should be very helpful to both seasoned and beginners who enjoy this round. The chart is awesome, but the whole article is a great read. If you have the ability to look it up on archives, it is worth the effort. Key words are " pressurizing the 7 mm stw". Enjoy.

OK!!I can take no more!!! I bought a use(very lightly)REM 700 300 RUM SST customshop and had a local young smith snakeskin and custom brake the barrel and trim the bottom of the action to end a case scratching problem put a ruger M77 tang safety fallower in it to solve a feed problem and then I put it in a Bell& Carlson varminter Brush camo stock.I found a refurbished Millet LRS 6-26X56 scope with the supplied 35mm rings and put it on a 20moa weaver base.I then found the 7mm stw and bought a takeoff rem barrel in 7mm Weatherby mag rechambered to 7mm stw.I bought the brass and dies and even bullets!! Now I can't bring myself to rebarrel the rifle before this soon to be shotout one gives out.I read maybe 20 pages of this thread and all I can say is THANK YOU!!! As soon as this dry spell is over and I can shoot again I'm going to wear out this barrel (I have another one)and go to the stw! Dripping envy!!!