7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Yea don't think the 338 would do me any good..guess I needa find some brass
Tyler I've shot a whole lot of the Nosler ammo with the 160gr Accubond in two of my three STW's that shot rather well for me and the brass is soft but certainly decent enough to get 3-5 loadings out of most of the time without problems.

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/7mm-stw

Thanks wildrose..I've been looking at the nosler brass but they sure are proud of it..and I've read that the brass is softer and doesn't last near as long as if you form 8mm brass I'm not sure what route I'm gonna take just yet

Thanks wildrose..I've been looking at the nosler brass but they sure are proud of it..and I've read that the brass is softer and doesn't last near as long as if you form 8mm brass I'm not sure what route I'm gonna take just yet

At the price of their brass I always figured I was better off in the long run buying the loaded ammo, shoot it till I have enough of a stock built up and then reload it.

You might want to call the guys at Double Tap and see if they are going to be running any STW ammo and if not if they have any leftover brass. I've shot a pile of their ammo over the years and the one time I had an issue with it, they had me send it directly back to them for a full replacement and I had the replacement ammo in my hands before they even got what I sent back delivered.

That's definitely some of the best customer service in the industry.

I have had ZERO problems with any Nosler brass in every caliber I shoot it in...Including 7mm RemMag, 7mm STW, and .300 Ackley (formed from .300 Wby), which are all high-pressure magnum cartridges. And trust me, I don't load light...

I pretty much only use Nosler and Lapua when I can, but some of my other random calibers I use Norma, Hornady Match, and Winchester.

Hey everyone I need your advice I am tossing around the idea of buying the NEW cooper model 92 backcountry in a 7stw I'm wondering if the 24" barrel will be a problem and what kind of velocities do you think I will get shooting the eld-x 175 or 162's
Or is it not worth it with a 24" barrel?

Hey everyone I need your advice I am tossing around the idea of buying the NEW cooper model 92 backcountry in a 7stw I'm wondering if the 24" barrel will be a problem and what kind of velocities do you think I will get shooting the eld-x 175 or 162's

Welcome. To get the most out of your rifle you really do need to go with at least a 26" barrel.

How much difference you will see in velocity isn't such a big deal but the more powder that remains unburnt in the chamber and barrel the bigger the muzzle flash/blast will be which can be tough on the eyes in several different ways especially in low light or when you are shooting into the wind.

I can't speak to the Coopers but maybe you can call them and order one in 26" instead of the 24".

I can promise you that two more inches of barrel will not make enough difference in weight for you to notice.

One way to compensate for the shorter barrel though is to use a faster burning powder instead of RL 33, Retumbo, or H1000.

RL26 is one of Alliant's newer "temperature stable" powders so it might be a good option for you to at least look at. In a lot of cartridges it's giving some pretty impressive velocity numbers without showing pressure signs.
Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

A bigger consideration would be twist rate. With the newer, heavier, higher BC bullets coming out recently and more to be released in the future you should probably give firm consideration to going with a 1:8 twist rather than the old standard which is 1:9.

When I bought my last STW there wasn't a bullet on the market that 1:9 wasn't adequate for but there sure is now and more will be hitting the market every year.

Also, there's a very good chance that we will see regulations in the near future requiring that all ammo used on state/federal lands must be lead free and with the monolithic bullets being 10-20% longer than traditional lead core bullets of the same weight so again, the 1:8 twist makes a whole lot of sense.

Welcome. To get the most out of your rifle you really do need to go with at least a 26" barrel.

How much difference you will see in velocity isn't such a big deal but the more powder that remains unburnt in the chamber and barrel the bigger the muzzle flash/blast will be which can be tough on the eyes in several different ways especially in low light or when you are shooting into the wind.

I can't speak to the Coopers but maybe you can call them and order one in 26" instead of the 24".

I can promise you that two more inches of barrel will not make enough difference in weight for you to notice.

One way to compensate for the shorter barrel though is to use a faster burning powder instead of RL 33, Retumbo, or H1000.

RL26 is one of Alliant's newer "temperature stable" powders so it might be a good option for you to at least look at. In a lot of cartridges it's giving some pretty impressive velocity numbers without showing pressure signs.
Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

A bigger consideration would be twist rate. With the newer, heavier, higher BC bullets coming out recently and more to be released in the future you should probably give firm consideration to going with a 1:8 twist rather than the old standard which is 1:9.

When I bought my last STW there wasn't a bullet on the market that 1:9 wasn't adequate for but there sure is now and more will be hitting the market every year.

Also, there's a very good chance that we will see regulations in the near future requiring that all ammo used on state/federal lands must be lead free and with the monolithic bullets being 10-20% longer than traditional lead core bullets of the same weight so again, the 1:8 twist makes a whole lot of sense.

**** he's smart!!!!!
Not just some hick from the sticks!!
Dude is a smart grunt!!!!!

Hahahhaha. Love ya man!!