7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

So what's everyone's go to dies? I'm looking at redding and whidden...thoughts?

for a two die set in 7stw I use RCBS.... I have two sets of RCBS 7stw dies and a set of Redding... My Pops has been using my Redding dies for the last couple of years so they work too. The neck tension has been a bit loose with them using some brass though (his Redding dies were worse so he's been using mine)...

Great post. Thank you for all the thoughtful information.

I am looking to convert my Weatherby Mark V Ultralite from a 7MM RM to a 7MM STW. I have talked to a smith that will do the new barrel, a Lija 26 inch tube, with an 8" twist rate. Any perceived issues with a Mark V action?

Appreciate any comments or suggestions.

I am looking to convert my Weatherby Mark V Ultralite from a 7MM RM to a 7MM STW. I have talked to a smith that will do the new barrel, a Lija 26 inch tube, with an 8" twist rate. Any perceived issues with a Mark V action?

You should have a winner of an action on your hands there if most of your lugs are contacting properly. As rose said the mk5 is a good action. Since you have a mag. lightweight you have a 9lug bolt (not the 6lug standard) so you should be good to go...

I believe the Ultralite is all about the thin barrel. The stock may be a bit lighter, but I do not think they touch the action. The existing barrel is a 1 in 10 twist and I cant seem to get it to group, best is 2.5 inch at 100. It is one of the reasons I am going to rebarrel it.

So on the 7MM STW, other that a 1 in 8 twist, 26 inch tube, any other recommendations on having it rebarreled? I was thinking of a #5 contour. Any recommendations on the contour or other things I should be thinking about would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome fellow 7mm Shooting Times Westerner shooters!gun)

This thread is for those of us who own and shoot a 7mm STW
this is where we can post our gun specs, talking about different load data, where to find our hard to come by brass, and just any other general 7mm STW knowledge

If it is your first post in this thread, lets start out by stating the specs of your 7mm STW(custom made rifles - describe all components), list scopes and other accessories on the rifle, and how long you have been with this caliber. Pictures of your setup would also be welcome

I hope this thread becomes a useful tool of information for everyone,

Enjoy,
-Matt

I'm in the process of joining the 7 STW brotherhood :D ! Goal is a lightweight long range capable rifle. So far I have: Lone Peaks Razor Ti long action, manners EH4 stock, good ol Timney 510, and am stashing $ for the barrel. Here's where I need your help! 26" or 28"?? I know I'm going with 1/8 twist so I can sling the really long bullets but is the additional 2" of barrel going to make enough difference FPS a designated hunting rig? Will add about 4 oz to the gun which isn't much but it adds up by the time everything is done. A few oz here and there then all the sudden it's not exactly a lightweight lol. I'd like to hit 3,000 fps with the 195 grain if I shoot them. Thanks for any advice and I have been wanting to be a part of the STW club a long time! Such a sweet cartridge!

I'm in the process of joining the 7 STW brotherhood :D ! Goal is a lightweight long range capable rifle. So far I have: Lone Peaks Razor Ti long action, manners EH4 stock, good ol Timney 510, and am stashing $ for the barrel. Here's where I need your help! 26" or 28"?? I know I'm going with 1/8 twist so I can sling the really long bullets but is the additional 2" of barrel going to make enough difference FPS a designated hunting rig? Will add about 4 oz to the gun which isn't much but it adds up by the time everything is done. A few oz here and there then all the sudden it's not exactly a lightweight lol. I'd like to hit 3,000 fps with the 195 grain if I shoot them. Thanks for any advice and I have been wanting to be a part of the STW club a long time! Such a sweet cartridge!

If you want to shoot the 195 and not run rather high pressure I'd stack on every inch you can. I've got a 27" shilen 8" twist and only got to 2960 fps with the 195 using rl33. I am going to try some 196 grain bullets soon, and will look at powders other than rl33 as it wasn't accurate in all temps in my rifle.