7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

RE, New STW build. Well as I said a few days ago, I picked up the 700 LSS in 300 win mag. My barrel is suppose to arrive tomorrow. My problem is, I can't bring myself to dismantling this LSS. It is absolutely gorgeous, and the factory barrel is mint. As I stated prior to this I was going to utilize the stock and the action. I am having really bad second thoughts about it all. I am sorta thinking now that I am going to keep the LSS, and look around for a " boner" and utilize it. I know where ther is a ADL synthetic in 7 mag that can be had for about 400. I guess all that staring at the LSS in my work shop got the best of me. Any thoughts? Now I need a action and possibly a stock. Options please!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL! lightbulb :
7 STW.
The best way to solve the problem is to put a scope on her and see what it will do. You may want to leave it the way it is if it will shoot, the 300 ain't bad. I bought a Rem. 700 BDL LH in 338 WM around 12 years ago with all purposes of rebarreling to 7stw because it is hard to find a LH mag. Action down here. The first thing the gunsmith told me to do is "you better scope it to see if it will shoot first, I bet that 338 will shoot". Guess what? That rifle shoots almost as good as my built rifles, so I left it the way it is. I will cut a whitetail to pieces if you don't watch your shot and I have learn to really like the caliber.lightbulb
FE

Well, I am currently out of stock of any 7mm's in my string and was going to do a regular 7mm rem mag build but thanks to you gents I have totally changed my mind and am definitely going with the 7mm stw. Thanks for feeding my sickness.
You will not regret it, it's a spectacular round and will love it. No guess work at all out to 350 yards with 160's. It is by far, my favorite round of all my rifles for whitetails, it plants them.:D
FE

As I posted before, here is a photo of my semi custom 7 STW. I am trying to get it to shoot 168-180 Berger VLD's.

Attachments

• photo 7 STW.JPG
    photo 7 STW.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 34
7STW,
Don't listen to Fred Ea!!!:D I shot the donor a couple of years ago and ended up with a 7mm Rem Mag that shoots half inch groups with boring regularity and has turned in a couple of sub quarter inch groups. I didn't need a 7 mag but I have one now!
But seriously, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't part out the LSS. They are beautiful rifles. I've got two of them. Your best bet otherwise is to find a 700 SPS or an older BDL as a donor. You can get a Bell & Carlson stock for $200 or less or you could probably find a used HS Precision for about the same money. You can probably get $100 out of the old barrel and stock to help offset your costs.

Mine is based on a Remington 700 action, 26" Shilen barrel and custom fitted by Pete Piper out of Hempstead, Texas. It has a Trijicon 5x20 scope. So far I have about 70 rounds through it. It shoots the 162 gr AMAXs (H-1000) and the 168 Gr Bergers (IMR-7828ssc) extremely well - about an inch at 200 yards. So far three shots on game and three kills - two Axis deer and one Sika. While a bit heavy for toting in the hills I could not be happier with the rifle.

7STW,
Don't listen to Fred Ea!!!:D I shot the donor a couple of years ago and ended up with a 7mm Rem Mag that shoots half inch groups with boring regularity and has turned in a couple of sub quarter inch groups. I didn't need a 7 mag but I have one now!
But seriously, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't part out the LSS. They are beautiful rifles. I've got two of them. Your best bet otherwise is to find a 700 SPS or an older BDL as a donor. You can get a Bell & Carlson stock for $200 or less or you could probably find a used HS Precision for about the same money. You can probably get $100 out of the old barrel and stock to help offset your costs.

Well, it looks like I now own 2 700 LSS rifles. I have one in 7 mag, that came from the same collector that the 300 came from. The 7 shoots like a house on fire. That gun was " used" but never fired, just like this one. You have a good idea about the SPS. I just saw one in my travels recently, but can't remember where it was. There is a local gun show coming up in April. I will probably see something there. I feel better now about NOT sacrificing that LSS. I recently traded my 700 BDL stainless synthetic in 300saum, when I acquired the Sako 7 stw. So, I had a " hole" for a "300" anyway! But this one looks better. So I am back into search mode. The barrel should be here tomorrow. As far as the stock, what do you guys think about the BC medalist? I sorta wanted a laminated, thats why went with with the LSS. Who makes a really good laminated? Boyds? Thanks to all.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. gun) lightbulb 7 STW.

Just got mine....Winchester Laraedo LRH,I have been looking for one of these for a while,Anyway Leupould VX-2 3x9x50 is on the way to Oregon for as Mil dot retical and M-1 turrents,Got some Barnes 140 TSX and Combined Technology 140's, Never shot the Barnes but really like the CT's in my 25-06 but havent loaded anything yet for the STW ,Seems like RL-22 is a go to powder for the STW any thoughts and loads would be great, Deer and Hogs in NC and Elk in Oregon This fall gun)

Just got mine....Winchester Laraedo LRH,I have been looking for one of these for a while,Anyway Leupould VX-2 3x9x50 is on the way to Oregon for as Mil dot retical and M-1 turrents,Got some Barnes 140 TSX and Combined Technology 140's, Never shot the Barnes but really like the CT's in my 25-06 but havent loaded anything yet for the STW ,Seems like RL-22 is a go to powder for the STW any thoughts and loads would be great, Deer and Hogs in NC and Elk in Oregon This fall gun)

You dawg, you scored big time! Those things shoot very well! A friend of mine owns a model 70 Winchester Sharpshooter in 7 STW. It has a McMillan stock, and a Schneider barrel. Talk about making you drool! Your set up is what I would like to end up with. I am building one from scratch. Read the thread previous to yours. Nice catch, enjoy, and welcome to the Brotherhood!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL, lightbulb gun) 7 STW.

Butterbean, was this the Winchester Laredo that was on Gunbroker? Your gun does sound nice.

I have always liked the Laredo's and Sharpshooters, just have never owned one. I do have two Featherweights though, a 7mm-08 and a new stainless 30-06.

As for Elk, you might want to step up to a 150gr or heavier bullet. I have only shot factory loads in mine, but will soon start to get a load developed for mine. I am hoping my gun likes the 150gr Nosler E-Tips.

For the hogs, either of those should be good.

Butterbean, was this the Winchester Laredo that was on Gunbroker? Your gun does sound nice.

I have always liked the Laredo's and Sharpshooters, just have never owned one. I do have two Featherweights though, a 7mm-08 and a new stainless 30-06.

As for Elk, you might want to step up to a 150gr or heavier bullet. I have only shot factory loads in mine, but will soon start to get a load developed for mine. I am hoping my gun likes the 150gr Nosler E-Tips.

For the hogs, either of those should be good.
Black I found it at my local gun store,When I saw it I grabbed it a was not about to let go of it til I could get to the cash register

You dawg, you scored big time! Those things shoot very well! A friend of mine owns a model 70 Winchester Sharpshooter in 7 STW. It has a McMillan stock, and a Schneider barrel. Talk about making you drool! Your set up is what I would like to end up with. I am building one from scratch. Read the thread previous to yours. Nice catch, enjoy, and welcome to the Brotherhood!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL, lightbulb gun) 7 STW.
Yeah Dude I couldnt believe I found one.......and thanks for the welcome

The best way to solve the problem is to put a scope on her and see what it will do. You may want to leave it the way it is if it will shoot, the 300 ain't bad. I bought a Rem. 700 BDL LH in 338 WM around 12 years ago with all purposes of rebarreling to 7stw because it is hard to find a LH mag. Action down here. The first thing the gunsmith told me to do is "you better scope it to see if it will shoot first, I bet that 338 will shoot". Guess what? That rifle shoots almost as good as my built rifles, so I left it the way it is. I will cut a whitetail to pieces if you don't watch your shot and I have learn to really like the caliber.lightbulb
FE
Im a WinMag fan ........Id leave it be Brother and find another to take apart

Butterbean, it is amazing of what you can find at times at the local shop. Most around me don't have guns like that:rolleyes:

Hope to hear more about it soon.