7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I joined the cult of the 7mm STW back in 1998 or 1999. I bought a brand new Savage Tactical in 7mm Rem Mag and had it punched out to STW. It only has a 24" barrel but options were limited for a lefty at the time. In the cheap factory stock it routinely shoots 1/2" or less at 100 yds and I fired my all time smallest group with it, 0.14" at 100 yds.

A couple of years ago I bought a LH Winchester 70 in 7mm STW that was in next to new condition. It had been sent by the original owner to Hill Country Rifles for their accurizing service and Decelerator recoil pad. My first group with it was half inch at 100 yds.:D

Last fall I put together another STW using a Stiller Predator long action, Hart 28" #5 contour barrel with Hart brake. Stiller recoil lug and scope rail, Wyatt's extended mag box, McMillan A2 stock, topped with a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x in Burris Extreme rings. It is very sweet shooting with 168 gr JLK VLD's at 3200 fps. During drop chart development it put three shots into 0.88" at 300 yds.

Remington Brass

In order for me to price accurately, please send your complete address to me by (pm).

I checked 100 to Oregon and it was 11.15 + 1.00 for the box at USPS. I am going to go over there on Monday with a 100 bag I have for myself already and find out exactly.

I have UPS at my office so I will do the same with them and choose the cheapest. And lastly, I'll check Fed Express.

I did get the wholesaler to drop ship the 2000 I ordered at no cost, so that's a savings.

For Fred with 900, it won't be exponential as I'm sure it's cheaper with that weight bulked. I think the package weighs 3lbs. or less, but I didn't weigh it but remember when I looked up some Norma brass I think that's close to what I remember.

Ya, I understand the lefty problem. I am a lefty, but right eye dominant. It really sucks at times. I also grew up with all righty's.

Just by reading this, it looks like most are shooting Remingtons, with a few Sako's and Winchesters. I am a big Winchester fan, but I also like a good single shot too, as I bought a Ruger #1 stainless in the 7mm stw. To bad that most companies don't make a gun in this round anymore. It is great, but the Ultra Mag's have hurt it.

For me, the recoil is not much more than the 7mm Rem Mag that I had before this. Accuracy for this rifle has been ok, but I have not done any work to it. Still the factory trigger. The biggest change was the scope rings, as the factory Ruger ones with the caliber sucked. They twisted on me, so I put on Millett rings.

Now, my plans this year is to get this thing working like clock work. Get it sighted in good, then shooting like I want (under 1"), and then take it on a good hunt. And if time permits, start working up some good loads for it. The two bullets that I am looking at are the Nosler E Tip and the Barnes Tipped TSX bullets in 150 grns. I feel these would work good for just about anything that I would hunt, from whitetails to elk, maybe even moose.

7STW, you said earlier that you were using 76gr of RL22 and 162 A max? My manual doesn't have the 162 in it, but it's saying a max load is 71.5 of RL 22 for a 160gr bullet.

I guess what I'm asking is, are your numbers correct?

Thanks.

Loving this thread.
I just got done loading 50 rnds of stw ammo for a buddy.
139 gr sst over a stiff load of h1000 pushing 3400 fps in his rifle.
I love this cartridge.

How accurate is the SST bullet, what is he shooting it at target or game? Does it perform well on game, what distances?

Thanks

My friends stw is a rem 700 lss action and stock and a Sendero 7 mag barrel rechambered to stw.

Accuracy with the sst is good 1.4 to 1.8 in groups at 300 yds.
Shooting it at targets right now but they will be used on game.
He has only had the gun a month so no game taken.

Built me a 7mm STW on a Rem 700 spss 7mm mag. Got Dave Kiff to make me a tight neck match reamer and NZ Trueflite barrels to blueprint my action and to chamber and fit a 27inch barrel with a 1in 9 twist. The stock is a Mcmillan hunters edge and the trigger is a jewell. Scope is a Leupold LR PR 4.5-14x40.
This is a lovely rig to hunt with as it only weighs 8.5 lbs and range shooting is not a problem as the recoil appears to be no worse than the old 7rem mag.
My long range load is Rem brass with Fed GM mag primers and 84gn ADI 2225 with 162gn A max @ 3350fps.( Warning do not use this load in any other rifle.This load is right on the edge in my rifle and the only reason I'm using this load is that the next accuracy window is right down on velocity.)
Spook and shoot mag load is Rem brass with Fed GM mag primers and 82gn ADI 2225 with 160 Nosler accubonds. This load shoots with in an inch of my long range load and is fine out to 250-300yds ( Warning do use this load any other rifle.
Longest kill is 830yds

I have a STW built by a gunsmith from Georgia. He built it for me about 5 years ago. Its on a 700 action with a shilen #4 contour barrel. He trued the action. I already had purchased a stock from MPI and installed a jewel trigger. Thus far with H4831 with 140 accubonds to 3/4" sometimes a little better to 3440 fps but settled on h1000 with 160 accubonds and 168 bergers. Accubonds are at 3212 and averagfe .75 to .5 at 100 yards same with bergers. Love this gun. It was topped with a 4-12 swaro but switched to the Leupold CDS. Will have to post some pics later. Thanks for starting this thread..

Well, I am currently out of stock of any 7mm's in my string and was going to do a regular 7mm rem mag build but thanks to you gents I have totally changed my mind and am definitely going with the 7mm stw. Thanks for feeding my sickness.

RE, New STW build. Well as I said a few days ago, I picked up the 700 LSS in 300 win mag. My barrel is suppose to arrive tomorrow. My problem is, I can't bring myself to dismantling this LSS. It is absolutely gorgeous, and the factory barrel is mint. As I stated prior to this I was going to utilize the stock and the action. I am having really bad second thoughts about it all. I am sorta thinking now that I am going to keep the LSS, and look around for a " boner" and utilize it. I know where ther is a ADL synthetic in 7 mag that can be had for about 400. I guess all that staring at the LSS in my work shop got the best of me. Any thoughts? Now I need a action and possibly a stock. Options please!

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL! lightbulb :
7 STW.

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - BRASS

I think I've (pm) everyone, let me know if I missed anyone.

I will have about 300 extra cases if anyone runs short or still wants more.

Keep my email and telephone number.

Let me know.

Ed