7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Chomping at the bit for my STW to be done. New barrel going on her - 28" (Light Palma contour which is a little heavier than a #5 bull sporter) Krieger 1:9 5R with a painkiller muzzle brake. Blueprinting bolt/action too. Oughta be a shooter. Hopefully done by next weekend. Saying good riddence to a finicky bitch of a factory Remington barrel.

Hello boys and girls! New to the site and first time poster. I am currently gathering parts and pieces for a 7STW build. I have been wanting one since it first was seen in Sooting Times. I was in to handgun silhouettes back then and all funds went to that. I have recently been bitten by the long range bug and it brought the 7STW back to mind. I have a Savage long action .223 that will be the donor rifle. I will build "on the cheap" at first. I'm planning for new barrel and bolt head and go shoot it. I don't like brakes so I plan a 28-30" bull barrel. (I've shot plenty of 7 mags in my day and can't imagine a 10lb+ rifle in 7STW needing one!) Scope will be a 20X Super Sniper on a 20MOA mount. This will not be a hunting rifle. Weight and barrel length doesn't matter. The action is bed already and I'll hog out the forearm to float the barrel. I'm looking for 1/2 MOA so I can shoot 1500 meters and have the accuracy to make hits if I do my part. All suggestions and comments are welcome!

P.S. I'm not a stranger to long range shooting as I regularly shoot my T3 in 338 Federal out to 700 yds. Our range has 12" steel plates and I hit them with boring regularity.

Hello boys and girls! New to the site and first time poster. I am currently gathering parts and pieces for a 7STW build. I have been wanting one since it first was seen in Sooting Times. I was in to handgun silhouettes back then and all funds went to that. I have recently been bitten by the long range bug and it brought the 7STW back to mind. I have a Savage long action .223 that will be the donor rifle. I will build "on the cheap" at first. I'm planning for new barrel and bolt head and go shoot it. I don't like brakes so I plan a 28-30" bull barrel. (I've shot plenty of 7 mags in my day and can't imagine a 10lb+ rifle in 7STW needing one!) Scope will be a 20X Super Sniper on a 20MOA mount. This will not be a hunting rifle. Weight and barrel length doesn't matter. The action is bed already and I'll hog out the forearm to float the barrel. I'm looking for 1/2 MOA so I can shoot 1500 meters and have the accuracy to make hits if I do my part. All suggestions and comments are welcome!

P.S. I'm not a stranger to long range shooting as I regularly shoot my T3 in 338 Federal out to 700 yds. Our range has 12" steel plates and I hit them with boring regularity.
If you want to see your impacts you will want to put a muzzle brake on. I suggest the Snowy Mountain Rifles Model.

Well, at least he missed most of it!! We went from 60°F to 5°F in one day last week, that really sucked.

Glad to know that you made it safe and sound to the new place.

Bill

Thanks for the welcome back .........I'm back on the farm and have a thousand yard range up and some really really long shot opportunities on coyotes from my front yard ........still trying to get the reloading Lab set up and trying to find a gun store that I can deal with .........all of the stores I have been to so far have asked what STW stands for ...........so I just shrug my shoulders and leave .......anyway hollar if I can do anything .......glad to hear from you guys

Thanks for the welcome back .........I'm back on the farm and have a thousand yard range up and some really really long shot opportunities on coyotes from my front yard ........still trying to get the reloading Lab set up and trying to find a gun store that I can deal with .........all of the stores I have been to so far have asked what STW stands for ...........so I just shrug my shoulders and leave .......anyway hollar if I can do anything .......glad to hear from you guys

Sticks That Whisper?? Am I close? :D

Congrats to the new gentleman, good to hear you made it to Indiana safely. Sounds like a good move for you, probably a little chillier huh!. Wide open spaces are great though. Happy St. Pat's day.

Hey Folks,

Just traded for a Custom M700 in 7MM STW ( my first STW ), stripped it down for cleaning and found terrible looking bedding job. Didn't even bother shooting yet. It has a laminated thumbhole stock and magazine. In the process of adding pillar blocks and re-bedding. Joined this site to learn what I can from you folks on loading data and long range tricks.

I know that I will need a scope suitable for this range. I would appreciate some recommendations on the best value in a scope suitable for this type shooting. Most of my shooting with this gun will be at paper in the 100 to 300 yard range. I have a friend that does some 1,000 yard shooting and would like to try my hand at it too.

Thanks!

Recent Posts