7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Ok, i look into that. So the snowy mnt muzzy bread you really recommend? So many out their and of course some are better than others but my big thing is not making my ears bleed like the boss system does.

Actually there are many 7 STWs on Gunbroker, a few Senderos, a couple of customs and lots of Rem 700 SPS.

I'm betting that people are dumping them due to lack of Factory load options (let alone availability of them) or they don't reload. Still, if some one wants a intro 7 STW they are out there to be had.

Still love mine and would love to have another....

Dano

Ok, i look into that. So the snowy mnt muzzy bread you really recommend? So many out their and of course some are better than others but my big thing is not making my ears bleed like the boss system does.
Best overall brake I've ever tried and easiest of all I've used on the ears other than the Gentry QB. The Gentry is a 360deg radial discharge so it's not what you want for a rifle that will be shot from the prone.

That's the brake I have on my 7mm STW Mod 70 Sharp Shooter and I love it.

Actually there are many 7 STWs on Gunbroker, a few Senderos, a couple of customs and lots of Rem 700 SPS.

I'm betting that people are dumping them due to lack of Factory load options (let alone availability of them) or they don't reload. Still, if some one wants a intro 7 STW they are out there to be had.

Still love mine and would love to have another....

Dano
They're stupid then. There's a great deal of quality factory ammo or the STW available today. There was about a ten year period where it got scarce but once Remington started chambering for it again the availability his increased dramatically.

Wildrose,

I agree that ammo generally is more available (online) for the 7 STW, Midwayusa has 12 loads listed that they catalog, but only 3 are available right now. To add to the problem is the cost ranging from $49.99 for HSM to the other end being Nosler custom listed at $80.99 per 20. This pricing seems excessive and would certainly exclude many people from being able to shoot one like we like to. In the gun shops
up here in Idaho, you cant find STW ammo at all locally, so you must hand load.

I got my 7 STW when components, especially brass) was more available. I got lucky and was able to get 350 brass. I'm reserving 100 for later use. Now it seems almost impossible to get less-expensive (R-P) brass now, and if you want any brass the cost is incredible. For this reason I'm seeing used Ultra Mags as well, on the market.

I fortunately have other rifles who's components are more plentiful, so I shoot them a bit more and use the STW for long range use, since that was my primary goal.

I agree that those who've dumped their STWs are dumb, It's an amazing cartridge. It's long range capability with the Heavy for caliber bullets is incredible. That's why I couldn't possibly part with mine.

Dano

Wildrose,

I agree that ammo generally is more available (online) for the 7 STW, Midwayusa has 12 loads listed that they catalog, but only 3 are available right now. To add to the problem is the cost ranging from $49.99 for HSM to the other end being Nosler custom listed at $80.99 per 20. This pricing seems excessive and would certainly exclude many people from being able to shoot one like we like to. In the gun shops
up here in Idaho, you cant find STW ammo at all locally, so you must hand load.

I got my 7 STW when components, especially brass) was more available. I got lucky and was able to get 350 brass. I'm reserving 100 for later use. Now it seems almost impossible to get less-expensive (R-P) brass now, and if you want any brass the cost is incredible. For this reason I'm seeing used Ultra Mags as well, on the market.

I fortunately have other rifles who's components are more plentiful, so I shoot them a bit more and use the STW for long range use, since that was my primary goal.

I agree that those who've dumped their STWs are dumb, It's an amazing cartridge. It's long range capability with the Heavy for caliber bullets is incredible. That's why I couldn't possibly part with mine.

Dano
Right now and for the last 5 years getting factory ammo for anything has been a challenge and brass hasn't been easy either.

I just don't shop for ammo during the seasons when I know it's going to be scarce. When I do buy, I buy in bulk.

Yes, for average guys this creates some barriers but average guys don't generally shoot anything more powerful than an 06 or 7mm Rem.

For me the STW has just been the perfect all around rifle for nearly 25 years and no matter how many others I own I will always own and shoot several 7mm STW's.

Now when Noser comes out with their 7mm on the 26 Nosler Case that could change, but I doubt it.

I got one that is 31 with break. It is LOOOIOONNNGG!!!!
Heavy too. Might cut it down or wait till I shoot it out and ream it out and shorten it....
If you listen to these crazy Stw folks, 26 is about all you need. I like the idea of 28 to gain a few fps and to allow to recut and ream the chamber in the future.

Yep. Small bore with that much case capacity I really think that you're ripping yourself off if you don't at least go with a 28" Barrel unless you want to go with the faster burning powders than RL 25 and H 1000.