7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I'm new to the forum. I have a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter. Nothing custom about it. It wears a Leupold gloss Vari X I 3x9. I have only used Nosler brass, Winchester magnum primers, 160 grain Accubonds, US 869, RL 19 and currently trying to get Retumbo to print well. US 869 is dirty and inconsistent. RL 19 is a little too quick with 160's, substandard velocities and Retumbo won't group. Next up will be either H1000 or 50 BMG. I have about 200 rounds through it.

I'm thinking of switching to 150 TTSX. I like to shoot off of sticks or a bipod at 300 yards but need to get a good group with speed off a bench first. I would be greatful for any tips or suggestions and I look forward to reading the previous 40 pages and learning. Thanks!

Ed

Thanks for the brass. It looks great, now I just need to get the reloading bench together for this.

Coloradotank, welcome to the forum. You will find some great knowledge here. 7stw is very helpful. If you are looking at the 150gr bullets, you might want to look at the Nosler E Tips. This is the load that I am going to try with mine. The Barnes are nice bullets, as I will also be trying them too. Just need to find the one that works best with your rifle and powder.

Note for anyone thinking of buying the extra brass Ed has. I went through mine today. I had 101 brass not 100, so that is a plus..of 1 LOL..Then I found that ALL 101 were good brass, 0 split necks!! First time I have encounted that!! Having said that the only brass i have bought new was Winchester, most of what I have reloaded were once shot Hornady,,,these Remingtons are much better than the Winchester stuff!!!

This is an awesome thread! I purchased a barrel from another member and will be converting one of my .300 win Mag into 7 MM STW as soon as I get the opportunity ... and I guess that means I have to go through the brotherhood initiations. :):rolleyes::D

Will be pinging you guys for load info hopefully soon. Thanks for sharing.

Ed

I'm glad Mr. Sackett counted them. I told fred that I only opened 1 bag to split for 2 people that ordered 150 and I counted 50 out and through them in with another 100 bag and sealed it. When I went to bag the other I decided to count the remaining 50 and there were 51?! I paniced for a second thinking I miss counted but I didn't want to tear the other box apart so I let it be. I told fred to count, maybe all the bags had 101. If anyone has 1 short, just ask and I'll send you 1. I'm beginning to think the bags had 101 each? If so, my wholesaler had a good source as they are out of Chicago somewhere and they package lots oft this size and drop ship him to the customer, ME. I think I have found a quality wholesaler.

I think the remaining 200 I have are sold but I am waiting a few days to hear from the guy. After that, send me an email if you need more, I will probably put in another order but not untill closer to our hunting season, August timeframe. Whitetail opens here Oct 15 I believe. But I can probably get more if someone needs it sooner, I just have to call for availability and price.

Good luck.

I'm new to the forum. I have a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter. Nothing custom about it. It wears a Leupold gloss Vari X I 3x9. I have only used Nosler brass, Winchester magnum primers, 160 grain Accubonds, US 869, RL 19 and currently trying to get Retumbo to print well. US 869 is dirty and inconsistent. RL 19 is a little too quick with 160's, substandard velocities and Retumbo won't group. Next up will be either H1000 or 50 BMG. I have about 200 rounds through it.

I'm thinking of switching to 150 TTSX. I like to shoot off of sticks or a bipod at 300 yards but need to get a good group with speed off a bench first. I would be greatful for any tips or suggestions and I look forward to reading the previous 40 pages and learning. Thanks!

Welcome to the brotherhood, and that is a fine rifle you have. I have been eyeing a Custom Sharpshooter my self. It has a Schneider barrel, and a McMillan stock. Anyway, you are right, the 19 is too quick, maybe OK for 140's, but not for 160's. If you are wanting to stick with 160's, H1000 is a great way to go. I have a love affair with RL 22 in all of mine. When running 168 VLD's, the H1000 will really shine. The bullet you are considering, the 150 TTSX, will be a fine choice. My Sako, loves the 140 TSX, with 79.5- RL22, 215 fed primer@ 3.702 OAL. ( the Sako mag is long). One other choice is the 162 A- Max. That bullet flat out shoots in just about anything 7 mm.
Enjoy that rifle , and watch how fast this forum grows!

Welcome to the brotherhood, and that is a fine rifle you have. I have been eyeing a Custom Sharpshooter my self. It has a Schneider barrel, and a McMillan stock. Anyway, you are right, the 19 is too quick, maybe OK for 140's, but not for 160's. If you are wanting to stick with 160's, H1000 is a great way to go. I have a love affair with RL 22 in all of mine. When running 168 VLD's, the H1000 will really shine. The bullet you are considering, the 150 TTSX, will be a fine choice. My Sako, loves the 140 TSX, with 79.5- RL22, 215 fed primer@ 3.702 OAL. ( the Sako mag is long). One other choice is the 162 A- Max. That bullet flat out shoots in just about anything 7 mm.
7stw......Dude where is this custom Sharp shooter at ........Dont hold out on me Bro:D

Tank, Sounds like you have a very nice weapon there......I have a Laredo LRH myself that I just started woking with and so far its Awesome,Everyone here is cool,Big thanks to 7 and Fred Ea,lots of good info,And 7stw......where is the custom sharp shooter.....Dont hold out on me Bro:D..........Welcome aboard Tank.........ButterBean

Did you really mean 3.336 OAL?

Yup, I meant to say, 3.336 OAL. When I made that load, .005 either side of if was not so good. At that setting, it is so unbelievable that I did so many " re-takes " just to make sure it was/ is for real. It truly is, and has been every time I have shot it. That' s my story and, well you know the rest!!!!!!

7stw......Dude where is this custom Sharp shooter at ........Dont hold out on me Bro:D

I could tell ya'( but I WON'T), then I'd have to, well you know the rest. EVERY time I see that thing, it makes me drool. I will own it some day. He said that he would sell it, but not just yet, and when he does, I at least get first,( and last) dibs on it.
On another note, I put some more $$ on my donor gun today, and picked up some RL25, 150 BT's and 162 A- Maxes. Was running low on about everything. Went to a gun show Saturday before Easter, and bought some 270 brass, 300 win. mag brass, and some 154 spire points. ( my 700 LSS 7 mag LOVES those things). Small show, but lots of goodies.
Have you been shooting much? I am going Saturday and am preparing for a bench rest shoot that is in may. Three O eight time. Take care!!!

Trying to get my 7 STW to shoot 168 Berger VLD's I tried H-4831 and Retumbo. Neither worked all that well. Used RL 25 with 180 VLD's, but that was about 1 MOA, it didn't impress me. Still trying to find a load this rifle likes, it's been one of my hardest to find. I would like to stay with the 168 VLD, 180 VLD or 162 A-Max.

I could tell ya'( but I WON'T), then I'd have to, well you know the rest. EVERY time I see that thing, it makes me drool. I will own it some day. He said that he would sell it, but not just yet, and when he does, I at least get first,( and last) dibs on it.
On another note, I put some more $$ on my donor gun today, and picked up some RL25, 150 BT's and 162 A- Maxes. Was running low on about everything. Went to a gun show Saturday before Easter, and bought some 270 brass, 300 win. mag brass, and some 154 spire points. ( my 700 LSS 7 mag LOVES those things). Small show, but lots of goodies.
Have you been shooting much? I am going Saturday and am preparing for a bench rest shoot that is in may. Three O eight time. Take care!!!
7 I know what your saying about the sharp shooter ....thats how I was with the Laredo......had to have it.......Shot some monday,wanting to work up a new load for my 25-06 with the barnes 115tsx but right now Im hung up on the STW

Ctank,
Try some IMR7828 with the 160gr.AB's, my two rifles like it pretty good. Custom one likes 79.0grs. And the rechambered one likes 78.0gr. Works well with the 150gr. tsx also- 80.0gr. By the way, these are hot loads, so you may want to back off a little to start.lightbulb
FE