7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Bean, as far as OAL goes, your max is going to be about 3.665 +-. I usually set mine to box length, then fool around with charge to find it's sweet spot. My " node" on my #1 Sendero is pretty broad. Using the 140 CT, and 79.3-RL 22, she spits it out at 3366. I have never changed anything on that load since day one. ( why would I?) accuracy is in the 2's and 3's at 100, and sometimes nearly the same at 200. I have a target shot at 350 yrd, that measures 1.244 center to center. Have you chronoed anything yet? You are on the right track. Just watch and feel for everything.
Havent chrono'ed anything yet.......looking for accuracy rite now .....once I find that I'll dial everything in from that point

Anyone built a load that's consistent between 20 and 85 degrees. When it's 20 it's dry and when it's 65-85 it gets humid at the top end of the temp range.

Thanks,
Ed

Anyone built a load that's consistent between 20 and 85 degrees. When it's 20 it's dry and when it's 65-85 it gets humid at the top end of the temp range.

Thanks,
Ed
Ed Im still working on my stw loads and it likes RL22 so far but its temp sensitive I load everything else I have with Hodgdon Extreme powders.......I have tested them in Indiana at 0 degrees and here in NC at 92 with a 5 fps difference, Gonna build some loads using H-1000,Retumbo and 50BMG just for that reason

Thanks,
Ed[/Q
UOTE]
The closest I can do with that, is my semi customs favorite load which is 78.0-7828 - 150ct, or 154 Hornady. ( both of these shoot nearly identical) . Now I can not not say that I have actually shot them on paper at those temps, and compared the results, but in the " field" , they perform the same. ( don't know what the chrono might say). It has taken deer at 16 degrees, and it has taken deer in the summer on crop damage hunts. ( my cousin didn't want to give it back to me ). I can't say that I have noticed much temp sensitivity with 7828. BTW, that is the original large grain version. I have had good luck with my seven mag, 700 P with H1000. The load was formed in March of last year, at about 55-60 degrees. I took it to Maryland in July, temp was about 95' and smokin' humidity. No noted difference at 365 yards. Hope this helps.

Havent chrono'ed anything yet.......looking for accuracy rite now .....once I find that I'll dial everything in from that point

Yup' that's the right approach. Accuracy first, then check speed, but I did that once, and had a load that was drop dead accurate, consistent and was about to commit to that load. Chronographed the load, and it was WAAAAAY to slow for what I was expecting. ( powder was too slow) . But with what you are using, the speed will be good. I have a pretty good idea what you are getting for speed, but let me know what you end up with. Take care.

Yup' that's the right approach. Accuracy first, then check speed, but I did that once, and had a load that was drop dead accurate, consistent and was about to commit to that load. Chronographed the load, and it was WAAAAAY to slow for what I was expecting. ( powder was too slow) . But with what you are using, the speed will be good. I have a pretty good idea what you are getting for speed, but let me know what you end up with. Take care.
Thanks for all the help Brother

Hey 7stw and Fred Ea, Got some trigger time today(guess Im lucky that I have a range in my back yard).......7 you were right,I had room for more powder so I loaded my original load (77gr RL22) and 77.5 and 78 with 140 Barnes TSX and 215m's........had a 1/4 value wind......the 77gr set produced a.314 group 77.5 @.401 and 78 was .428 all at 100yds so we know whats going on there. Im tickled with the 77gr load,I'll back down some and see what happens.I know i mentioned this before but my bullet at the lands is3.2440 anmy COL is3.0160 to get it in the mag.......lots of jump but I guess at .314 I best not complain......what do you guys think about the COL........on another note I also shot my 22-250 today which has a Canjar trigger.....it was worth every dime:D.....sorry for rambling just really tickled with the STW
BB,
That accuracy is pretty good and that is with a tsx too, it'll hold together well under high velocity. Can't fuss too much with .314. Your max length will depend on your magazine anyway, will have to play with your charges possibly to get the best out of that instead of moal.
I am one of the fortunate ones too, my shooting bench is outside my back door also, but don't get to use it near as much as I want, got all the farm work staring me in the face too. Good job on these loads, awesome in my book.:D
FE

BB,
That accuracy is pretty good and that is with a tsx too, it'll hold together well under high velocity. Can't fuss too much with .314. Your max length will depend on your magazine anyway, will have to play with your charges possibly to get the best out of that instead of moal.
I am one of the fortunate ones too, my shooting bench is outside my back door also, but don't get to use it near as much as I want, got all the farm work staring me in the face too. Good job on these loads, awesome in my book.:D
FE
I know what your saying....I have calves on the way and hay to make

Thanks to all, I've got a few new powders to order! I've heard of these Hodgon Extreme Powders before, I think Shawn Carlock had mentioned them with his 338 Edge. It will be interesting to see if they too will shoot in my stw under different temps and such.

A great thread this STW brotherhood is. Thanks ALL...

THANKS etisll40 for all your hard work in getting the brass #1-Found, #2-Ordered-#3-Purchased-#4-Containers found & Purchased-#5-Packaged-#6-Mailed off!!!!!! Once again thanks Ed.....The brass looks great!!!
Shawn aka "Sackett"

Recent Posts