7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

varmithunter,

I found that IMR-7828 79.0 MAX...Fed Brass .0015 shoulder bump and 215 GM... worked very well for me in one of my 7STW Accumarks with the 160 flat base Barnes. At 200yrds. the 3 shot groups were avg. @ 277. Great velocity (3300+) and fantastic grouping. Actually shot tight groups on rocks out to 1200 in the Acrtic with that rifle. This was factory Weatherby rifle with alot of 'Freebore' so work a load up slowly, 7828 can spike very easily in the 7mm cal.

The other rifle not so good, acceptable but not as great as the first one. OAL was 3.667 this was very important for tight grouping. This was factory Weatherby rifle with alot of 'Freebore'.

The one I have now loves the TTSX 140's

Last edited:
I found that IMR-7828 79.0 MAX...Fed Brass .0015 shoulder bump and 215 GM... worked very well for me in one of my 7STW Accumarks. At 200yrds. the 3 shot groups were avg. @ 277. Great velocity (3300+) and fantastic grouping. Actually shot tight groups on rocks out to 1200 in the Acrtic with that rifle. This was factory Weatherby rifle with alot of 'Freebore' so work a load up slowly, 7828 can spike very easily in the 7mm cal.

The other rifle not so good, acceptable but not as great as the first one. OAL was 3.667 this was very important for tight grouping. This was factory Weatherby rifle with alot of 'Freebore'.

The one I have now loves the TTSX 140's

Thanks Freebore.
I'm not sure if that OAL will work for me. I have all those measurements at home. I'm limited to whatever will fit in my detachable mag unless I want to shoot single shot. Thanks for the info.

Butterbean,

This isn't your run of the mill Tactical MK4, It's more of a target model not a tactical model. Here is a picture of it:

View attachment 8090

Here is another picture with it on my .30-06 AI, Sorry about the blood, my father had to go back and get the camera and I had to start working on the Elk.

View attachment 8091

It is similar to the 30mm tube VX-3 scopes, but it has a one piece tube. it's very robust and is a good choice for some one who wants to be able to dial in a long range shot, but mostly hunts out to 300-400 yds. It has wonderful glass and is very robust. It is perfect for this rifle I have it on. I have shot this rifle out to 1000yds and it performed very well.

Hope this helps,

Dan
Thats a good looking rig you have there.........Thanks for all the info on them,Will give them a look see for sure

I found out my Sako 995 has a 1 in 9.5 twist. I'd lkie to try the new168gr Barnes LRX. Barnes says this bullet needs a 1 in 9 twist. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not my barrel will stabilize this bullet?

I found out my Sako 995 has a 1 in 9.5 twist. I'd lkie to try the new168gr Barnes LRX. Barnes says this bullet needs a 1 in 9 twist. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not my barrel will stabilize this bullet?

It probably will. Sometimes you can play with the speed to compensate for twist in some situations. I have shot bullets that are advertised for a faster twist, and have had no problems. You are very close to the " prescribed " twist that it probably will be fine. I am interested in that bullet too.

Hey guys, well the clock is ticking now, and I am getting excited already. I picked up the VARI-x III, 6.5-20 today, and put the " Sacrifice " gun on layaway with a healthy deposit. I will have it paid for in a few weeks, then maybe another week to put it together and test fire it, then it will be mine. I am going to put dual dovetail bases, and I have a set of rings already. I love the dual dovetail bases because they do not move. I used to use the conventional Leupold bases that have the screws on both sides for Windage. Well, a few years back, the day before a sniper shoot, my groups started walking left to right almost in a straight line every time I fired. We figured it out, and corrected the problem with a little BLUE loctite. Then I discovered the dual dovetail bases, and now that is all I use. On another note, the rifle that I am buying, is a late nineties ADL synthetic in 7 mag. Action is smooth, and trigger is one of the original 40 x style, that Mike Walker designed. I can work wonders with those babies. For now, I am going to be swapping stocks with one of my other HS stocked rifles until I can decide which way to go as far as it's own stock. I've been looking but nothing has jumped out an bit me, except maybe on of those Bobby Hart LRH models. Time will tell. Just an update, sorry for the long read!

Hey guys, well the clock is ticking now, and I am getting excited already. I picked up the VARI-x III, 6.5-20 today, and put the " Sacrifice " gun on layaway with a healthy deposit. I will have it paid for in a few weeks, then maybe another week to put it together and test fire it, then it will be mine. I am going to put dual dovetail bases, and I have a set of rings already. I love the dual dovetail bases because they do not move. I used to use the conventional Leupold bases that have the screws on both sides for Windage. Well, a few years back, the day before a sniper shoot, my groups started walking left to right almost in a straight line every time I fired. We figured it out, and corrected the problem with a little BLUE loctite. Then I discovered the dual dovetail bases, and now that is all I use. On another note, the rifle that I am buying, is a late nineties ADL synthetic in 7 mag. Action is smooth, and trigger is one of the original 40 x style, that Mike Walker designed. I can work wonders with those babies. For now, I am going to be swapping stocks with one of my other HS stocked rifles until I can decide which way to go as far as it's own stock. I've been looking but nothing has jumped out an bit me, except maybe on of those Bobby Hart LRH models. Time will tell. Just an update, sorry for the long read!
Hey 7.........Whats the plan for the 7 mag tube?.....Ive been looking at those Bobby Hart stocks too,I like em,think I may try one on my 22-250,Glad you got yor scope and all,how much did you have to give for your doaner if you dont mind me asking.....Im excited for you brother keep me posted ButterBean

Hey 7.........Whats the plan for the 7 mag tube?.....Ive been looking at those Bobby Hart stocks too,I like em,think I may try one on my 22-250,Glad you got yor scope and all,how much did you have to give for your doaner if you dont mind me asking.....Im excited for you brother keep me posted ButterBean

Butterbean, this is my second attempt to reply. I have no plans for the tube, or the stock. Want them? I paid just over $400 for the rifle. Scope was $325. ( it is MINT) the action is matte black, and with the stainless barrel it is going to look sharp. I really do like the Bobby Hart stock. That may eventually be my pick. Now I need to find bottom metal.

7stw,
I am with you on the dual dove tail rings and bases, they are rock solid and that is all I use now also. I had the same problem twice with the windage screws, had one just break on a Rem. 700 7mmRM one time and noticed it in the tree stand one morning and never figured out why it broke and on my Rem. 700 338WM they wouldn't stay tight and that is when I changed over to the dual dovetail mounts. Just one less thing that moves is another reason I like them toolightbulb
FE

7STW...........My gun store called today and said they took a Leupold 3x9x50 Vari x 2 in on trade ........ said I could have it for 250 ........you know you got it bad when the gun store calls and says they are holding stuff for you ......You gotta love em​

7STW...........My gun store called today and said they took a Leupold 3x9x50 Vari x 2 in on trade ........ said I could have it for 250 ........you know you got it bad when the gun store calls and says they are holding stuff for you ......You gotta love em​

Been there, DO that! My "gunshop" occasionally will call me if something comes in that they think I may be interested in. They sort of know the things that I gravitate to, so once in a bit I get a call. Are you going to grab that scope? ( not a bad price). Go for it! I am going to a gun show tomorrow, I'll see what don't need that I may come home with. Actually, the last show I went to, I picked up a brick of primers, and 4 lbs of powder CHEAP. Take care,and Happy Easter.

Recent Posts