7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Goatboy, son, that is a hog on your 4 wheeler. Nice praire goat TOO. I too am a 140 CT fan. My #1 Sendero loves that bullet, and no other. The scenario usually goes like this, the gun goes BOOM, lightning hits the deer, and I have to take him for a pick- up ride. I sometimes wonder why I even bother with any thing else. Also , I love that rifle of yours too. I have my eyes on one that a friend of mine owns, that I have first dibs on WHEN he sells it. It differs from yours in that his has a Schneider Barrel, and I believe his stock is a McMillan. It may be a HS, but I think his could be a MC. Awesome rifle, as is yours. Awesome rifle, pix! Welcome to the Brotherhood!

Bought my Winchester Classic Sporting Sharpshooter back in 94 or 95, I love the thing and seldom take anything else with me anymore. 95% of the time you pull the trigger and the critters "deer,antelope and elk" head has to catch up with its *** , almost as if hit by lightning with the high shoulder shot.
I've shot Winchester 140 grain ballistic silvertips through it since day one and they've always been drop dead lethal. As far as accuracy its never been the best gun I have on paper but its plenty good out to 500 yards. The gun was built by HS precision for Winchester and has their stock and barrel on it. Came with a target in the paperwork from HS showing the group it shot at their custom shop 'kinda cool". I've had the same Burris 4-14x44 signature scope on it since day one and its always done fine with Leupold rings and bases.
Anyways its been fun reading all these great posts! I ran into a deal last year from Nosler and bought 4 boxes of their custom 140 grain accubond ammo rated at 3300 fps. Haven't even tried shooting them yet thou since I still have allot of silvertips left.

Couple pics for ya.

The little guy and I doing some long range plains hunting.

Grandma likes to tag along also with her pre 64 06 from time to time!

a whitetail from 465

Hit this goat so hard it flipped over on its back with its feet sticking stiff as a board straight up in the air, the little guy thought that was very cool thru the spotter lol!

Here she is up in Alberta

Nice rig ..........Looks like a proven winner to me

Until the last few years, I had been inamoured with the idea of lazer beam like trajectory, with light for caliber bullets. However, over the last few years as my effective range has increased, I've started to think that I should be shooting the heaviest bullets that any of my given rifles could shoot accurately mostly for down range energy and the higher BC that would make shooting the long range distances easier.

Last year, (since I didn't have my STW shooting yet) I used my custom .30-06 AI (which happens to be the most accurate rifle I've ever owned). between 4 of us (dad and 2 sisters) we all harvested a Cow Elk and 3 were taken on consecutive days I, my father and my sister all used my rifle to harvest, the longest shot being 525yds. All were taken with a 165g Berger VLD at 3125 FPS. 2 took a second shot even though the cows were dead on their feet. I'm now switching to a 190g Berger VLD (I've already worked up the load) at 2750 FPS. It will actually extend the effective range of that rifle to 1000yds for deer (@1000 Ft-lbs) .

This being said, and I hope you can see my thinking...... I decided when I found out the twist of my 7 STW that I would shoot the heaviest bullets I could find, so far the 180g Berger VLds will stabilize in my rifle. I'm hopeing that I can get at least 3000 FPS and then (shooting for 1000 Ft-lbs of energy), effective range should be about 1150yds for my rifle.

I've always understood that 1000 ft-lbs was minimum energy requirement for taking a deer as a rule of thumb..... what are you're thoughts????

Where I hunt there are opportunitys to take shots out to 800yds, sometimes further. I just want to be prepared to take the shot of a lifetime if it presents itself. A few years ago, I wasn't prepared and missed 7 shots at 7 diffrent mature bucks at 600- 700yds in one afternoon... Aint gonna let it happen again!!

BTW, I had to aquire my Leupold scopes as $$$ permited. I still don't have all I want. I've owned Redfields, Weavers, Buris and Nikon, and Leupolds of course as well as a pile of the cheap-o's.....I'd get Nightforce if I could, but My Leupold do great for my needs.

Dan

Until the last few years, I had been inamoured with the idea of lazer beam like trajectory, with light for caliber bullets. However, over the last few years as my effective range has increased, I've started to think that I should be shooting the heaviest bullets that any of my given rifles could shoot accurately mostly for down range energy and the higher BC that would make shooting the long range distances easier.

Last year, (since I didn't have my STW shooting yet) I used my custom .30-06 AI (which happens to be the most accurate rifle I've ever owned). between 4 of us (dad and 2 sisters) we all harvested a Cow Elk and 3 were taken on consecutive days I, my father and my sister all used my rifle to harvest, the longest shot being 525yds. All were taken with a 165g Berger VLD at 3125 FPS. 2 took a second shot even though the cows were dead on their feet. I'm now switching to a 190g Berger VLD (I've already worked up the load) at 2750 FPS. It will actually extend the effective range of that rifle to 1000yds for deer (@1000 Ft-lbs) .

This being said, and I hope you can see my thinking...... I decided when I found out the twist of my 7 STW that I would shoot the heaviest bullets I could find, so far the 180g Berger VLds will stabilize in my rifle. I'm hopeing that I can get at least 3000 FPS and then (shooting for 1000 Ft-lbs of energy), effective range should be about 1150yds for my rifle.

I've always understood that 1000 ft-lbs was minimum energy requirement for taking a deer as a rule of thumb..... what are you're thoughts????

Where I hunt there are opportunitys to take shots out to 800yds, sometimes further. I just want to be prepared to take the shot of a lifetime if it presents itself. A few years ago, I wasn't prepared and missed 7 shots at 7 diffrent mature bucks at 600- 700yds in one afternoon... Aint gonna let it happen again!!

BTW, I had to aquire my Leupold scopes as $$$ permited. I still don't have all I want. I've owned Redfields, Weavers, Buris and Nikon, and Leupolds of course as well as a pile of the cheap-o's.....I'd get Nightforce if I could, but My Leupold do great for my needs.

Dan
Dano1.......How would you rate the Burris against the Leupold.....I really wanna try one but they have some features I just dont know if I could live with

Hey , Butterbean, what Burris scope are you looking at? I have looked at a few, and almost bought one. It was a tactical model that was OD green, with black turrets. Some of the have that locking system under the turret housing, on the left side that just screams, break me off on something. I have heard of them jamming so you could not adjust anything. OOPs.! There are some great scopes out there. I have became a scope snob of recent. I have gone through a period of upgrading ALL of my optics. Right now, I have mostly Leupold, VARI-X 3's, and Nikon Monarch series. Notice I did NOT say VX 3, Leupold. I do not like the three piece main tube, and I don't think that the optics are as good on the VX, versus the VARI-X series. That includes the VARI- x 2's as well. I have a VARI-x 2 , 3-9 on my BDL, 308, that is incredibly clear, and the Windage, and elevation mechanism is flawless, never moves, and when you have to make a adjustment, what ever you dial is what you get for movement. The 4.5-14 AO that I put on the 300 win mag is Crystal clear, and again the adjustment mechanism is accurate. I do like the Burris scope, but forget which one it is that I like. I just bought a used but not abused 6.5-20 AO VARI X 3, which is going on the new build.

Butterbean,

The Burris that I had was a Fullfield II 3-9x44mm. for a Base model scope it's a really good scope. It came on a .243 AI that I bought some years back. I'm near sighted and I have found that some scopes don't focus very well. This was the case with the Burris. My Father wanted it so I gave it to him and it sits on one of his .30-06 hunting rifles. He love it and it suits his purposes.

My Leupolds are in a much higher quality bracket. One is a Mk-4 4.5-14x44mmSide Focus Precision Rifle scope. (this sits on my .30-06 AI) It's more like a target scope than a tactical scope. The other is a 6.5-20x50mm VX-3 Side Focus with the Varmit Hunters Reticle (This sits on my 7 STW).

Most of my scopes have a minimum of 14 power on the top end. I need the higher magnification at the longer distances. It helps if I wear my glasses as well. :rolleyes:

My father has a Vari-X II 3-9x44mm which is the same caliber of scope as the Burris that he got from me. He prefers the Leupold, but the Burris is close.

I have shot rifles with Burris scopes like the Black diamond line, and they were nice, Still prefer the Leupolds. I haven't been able to get my hands on any of their tactical scopes, but they seem like good quality scopes. I've been eyeing a Burris MTAC 3.5-10x42mm to put on a .308 for a medium range tactical/ coyote killer....

If you were able to narrow down what model you were looking at maybe we could help a bit more....

Dan

Butterbean,

The Burris that I had was a Fullfield II 3-9x44mm. for a Base model scope it's a really good scope. It came on a .243 AI that I bought some years back. I'm near sighted and I have found that some scopes don't focus very well. This was the case with the Burris. My Father wanted it so I gave it to him and it sits on one of his .30-06 hunting rifles. He love it and it suits his purposes.

My Leupolds are in a much higher quality bracket. One is a Mk-4 4.5-14x44mmSide Focus Precision Rifle scope. (this sits on my .30-06 AI) It's more like a target scope than a tactical scope. The other is a 6.5-20x50mm VX-3 Side Focus with the Varmit Hunters Reticle (This sits on my 7 STW).

Most of my scopes have a minimum of 14 power on the top end. I need the higher magnification at the longer distances. It helps if I wear my glasses as well. :rolleyes:

My father has a Vari-X II 3-9x44mm which is the same caliber of scope as the Burris that he got from me. He prefers the Leupold, but the Burris is close.

I have shot rifles with Burris scopes like the Black diamond line, and they were nice, Still prefer the Leupolds. I haven't been able to get my hands on any of their tactical scopes, but they seem like good quality scopes. I've been eyeing a Burris MTAC 3.5-10x42mm to put on a .308 for a medium range tactical/ coyote killer....

If you were able to narrow down what model you were looking at maybe we could help a bit more....

Dan
Looking at the M-Tac series and the FF2 6.5x24x50

Hey , Butterbean, what Burris scope are you looking at? I have looked at a few, and almost bought one. It was a tactical model that was OD green, with black turrets. Some of the have that locking system under the turret housing, on the left side that just screams, break me off on something. I have heard of them jamming so you could not adjust anything. OOPs.! There are some great scopes out there. I have became a scope snob of recent. I have gone through a period of upgrading ALL of my optics. Right now, I have mostly Leupold, VARI-X 3's, and Nikon Monarch series. Notice I did NOT say VX 3, Leupold. I do not like the three piece main tube, and I don't think that the optics are as good on the VX, versus the VARI-X series. That includes the VARI- x 2's as well. I have a VARI-x 2 , 3-9 on my BDL, 308, that is incredibly clear, and the Windage, and elevation mechanism is flawless, never moves, and when you have to make a adjustment, what ever you dial is what you get for movement. The 4.5-14 AO that I put on the 300 win mag is Crystal clear, and again the adjustment mechanism is accurate. I do like the Burris scope, but forget which one it is that I like. I just bought a used but not abused 6.5-20 AO VARI X 3, which is going on the new build.
I told Fred Ea the same thing......I like the vari x 2 3x9x50 better than the 3 series....I to have A vari x 3 4.5x14x50 on my 25-06 sendero

Butterbean,

I just realized , my 6.5-20x50mm Leupold is a VX-III not a VX-3. There is a slight diffrence. Both of my Leupolds have 30mm tubes and side focus. The MK4 4.5-14x44mm LR/T (Precision Rifle) is a one piece tube. I'll have to look at the VX-III to check. I also like the fact that the VX-III has 94 MOA of adjustment for both windage and elevation and the MK-4 has 100 MOA. This means that I can shoot past 1000yds without needing a 20 MOA Base.

I've actually shot a Sendero in a .25-06 that was wearing a that exact Buris FF2 6.5-24x50mm scope. It wasn't bad, but eye relief was a little tough on the higher end.

If you can part with $750.00 The Mk4 4.5-14x44mm LR/T is the way to go. Even though the VX-III was more expensive, I should have gotten a second MK4.

Dan

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood 7mm BRASS ARRIVED TODAY

I'll be contacting all buyers by pm later tomorrow. Expect to ship on Wednesday. I just got back into town.

Ed

Well I got the Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STW rifle and accessories today.

It is sweeeeeet! :)

The bolt is soo smooth and the trigger is about perfect. I may have to cancel the jewell trigger I was going to put on it.

I also got 42 rounds of ammo instead of the 20. And I can't wait to try out the Forster Bench Rest Dies.

I'm going to take it out to the range and see how it compares to my other Sendero 7mm STW. :D

Butterbean,

I just realized , my 6.5-20x50mm Leupold is a VX-III not a VX-3. There is a slight diffrence. Both of my Leupolds have 30mm tubes and side focus. The MK4 4.5-14x44mm LR/T (Precision Rifle) is a one piece tube. I'll have to look at the VX-III to check. I also like the fact that the VX-III has 94 MOA of adjustment for both windage and elevation and the MK-4 has 100 MOA. This means that I can shoot past 1000yds without needing a 20 MOA Base.

I've actually shot a Sendero in a .25-06 that was wearing a that exact Buris FF2 6.5-24x50mm scope. It wasn't bad, but eye relief was a little tough on the higher end.

If you can part with $750.00 The Mk4 4.5-14x44mm LR/T is the way to go. Even though the VX-III was more expensive, I should have gotten a second MK4.

Dan
Will give the LR\T a look for sure .......Thanks for the info

Butterbean,

This isn't your run of the mill Tactical MK4, It's more of a target model not a tactical model. Here is a picture of it:

338471.jpg

Here is another picture with it on my .30-06 AI, Sorry about the blood, my father had to go back and get the camera and I had to start working on the Elk.

006.jpg

It is similar to the 30mm tube VX-3 scopes, but it has a one piece tube. it's very robust and is a good choice for some one who wants to be able to dial in a long range shot, but mostly hunts out to 300-400 yds. It has wonderful glass and is very robust. It is perfect for this rifle I have it on. I have shot this rifle out to 1000yds and it performed very well.

Hope this helps,

Dan