7mm mag

BigA1976

Hey y'all..I'm new to the mag word and I have acquired a 7mm Rem Mag....I hunt Louisiana whitetails and would like input on a good round. Thanks!

The 7mm magnum is my favorite caliber. However, I live in New Mexico at 7000' and not in Louisiana so first I would ask what are your average distances deer are usually shot at there? Second, Do you hand load or use factory ammunition?

I live in Louisana an have been shooting a 7 mag forever (it seems like) you will love it! One of my favorite loads is 160 Gameking, CCI 250 mag primer, 64gr of IMR 4350. It's a hammer on whitetails from 10 yards to 500yrds. (Yes I've killed deer that far with em). Hope this helps.

DT

Big, load the 168 Bergers with H4831SC for two relatives' 7mm RM. Very accurate in Rem 700 and Ruger 77. Down side is they use them on elk and mule deer. Possibly a bit tough on a whitetail unless shot is in the ribs. Good luck

I have been hunting deer in east NC for 35 years and have a friend that has a gun shop in the area. He has probably sold more Hornady 154 gr Interlock and now the 154SST 7mm Rem mag ammo than any other 100 to 1. The 154 gr Hornady Interlock bullet is what I had the best results with on deer when I was testing the 7mm Rem mag with MANY different bullets for deer doing crop damage control. My buddy and I took 100 deer a year off a big farm for 15 years so we learned a lot about different calibers and bullets. If you are going to hand load and you will be only shooting out to 200 or so yards I will pass on something we learned. Slow your bullet down, which ever one you choose, to have an impact velocity in the 2700 to 2900 fps range and it will kill a deer dead in it's tracks better than running them a max velocity for some reason. I can not explain it but when you shoot 50 deer with the bullet at max muzzle velocity and 90% of them 100 yards or so before they go down and then you slow that same bullet down to impact between 2700 and 2900 fps and 99% drop in their tracks there has to be something to it.

Hey y'all..I'm new to the mag word and I have acquired a 7mm Rem Mag....I hunt Louisiana whitetails and would like input on a good round. Thanks!
You have just acquired the BEST deer hunting caliber I have ever hunted with. Dropped many deer with many different calibers, but I always go back to my ole' faithful 7mm RemMag. I've had 5 of them over the years, and still have 2. My main deer rifle is a Browning A-Bolt II custom 7mmRM.

My favorite load is a Berger 168 VLD loaded into Nosler brass, backed by IMR 7828 SSC, with a Federal 215M primer. As for powder charge, you will want to work up your load to find where your rifle shoots best.

If you want to shoot the 168 VLD's, but do not reload yet, HSM makes factory loaded ammo with Berger bullets.

I have never shot it, but I have heard good things.

Here's a link to it, if you are interested to read more about it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/64...oint-boat-tail-box-of-20?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.