Remington M700 Long Range 7mm Rem Mag? Need a 400-yard deer rifle... Help me!

Gunmonkey

Looking at the M700 Long Range in 7mm Rem Mag. It seems like it would make an excellent deer rifle out to 400 yards (about as far as the field of view from my stand). I like the heavy 26" barrel to tame the recoil, as well as its other accuracy features. But, the most appealing feature is the price. For $829.00 msrp on Remington's website, it sounds like a good deal. Weight is no problem, since it is a short walk to my ladder stand on the edge of a farm field.

I really don't like the noise and powder consumption of the 7mm mag, but there is no denying its long-range lethality. I also prefer a bullet that carries enough energy/momentum down range to pass through the deer. I need it to put him down quickly with as much bleeding as possible to help track him through the thick cover surrounding the field.

I have read good reviews on the Vortex Scopes, and am considering the Viper 3.5X10X50 dead hold BDC.

Rings and mounts? I have no idea. Help!

I have been out of hunting and shooting for several years and don't know what the best products are. I joined this forum in the hope of getting input from shooters who are more up-to-date on what's available at a good price. I have a very good understanding of shooting, rifles and ballistics, so don't worry that you may be talking over my head. But, also, I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination.

In summary; I want rifle that will shoot accurately out to 400 yards without much fuss, and if not drop a buck where he stands, at least cause enough havoc to easily track his blood trail through thick brush. All for a price of <$1500 for the total package.

I invite all opinions...That's the reason I joined this forum and wrote such a long thread.

I also hand load my own cartridges, so if you have a pet load, I'd be glad to hear it.

IMO: You have selected a very capable combo. Get decent rings to great rings and bases/rails.

I've pretty much switched to all rails. I use xTreme True Level rails on R700s and wish they had them for Wby.

I have so many different rings. Tally are good, Warne are great. Burris Zs are working well on one of my rifles.

If I were to go with bases, Leupold. EOS.

Would for certain get a one piece picatinny rail for that long action....just eliminates mounting problems associated with scope tube length entirely.
The 7mm Magnum is my favorite caliber. From long range varmint/predator to antelope and elk it will do it all quite nicely.
Currently have a Savage 110 with a 26" Criterion barrel in heavy sporter. Added a Limbsaver pad and a Harrell's muzzle brake and made it a real pleasure to shoot.....like 243 pleasant!

Broz has looked at them and thought the barrel was the same as the Sendero. Bell and Carlson stock with the full length aluminum bedding block. Change the trigger, add a muzzle break and bed the lug. Probably will shoot great. Very good caliber choice. You'll like it. Bruce

I got chance to look at both sendero and the rem long range. And not sure if both barrels are the same dimension but real close.

The rifle choice is better than I thought considering Cabela's has it for $699.99.

It seems some of the replies suggest a muzzle break. I live near a custom rifle maker/gunsmith who can install it for me (Joe Collier/Collier Custom Rifles). The question I have is it worth the trade-off for increased noise. I guess that decision should be made after I've shot it to see if the recoil is a problem. I'm a pretty big boy, but I'm not impervious to it.

Other accuracy improvements I will consider after load work-up. My objective is a heavy, powerful hunting rifle that will be fired from a rest in a deer stand out to 400 yards. The accuracy objective is to be confident that the rifle (and - most importantly - the shooter) can make a clean kill shot at that range.

At 400 yards that will be all on the shooter. That 7mm Rem Mag is just getting started at 400 :) hell a .308 wouldn't be a bad choice at 400. I hate muzzle brakes personally. If your stand is enclosed I would wider if that would effect how loud it is to the shooter? Shooting next to one at the range sucks I can tell you that much.

At 400 yards that will be all on the shooter. That 7mm Rem Mag is just getting started at 400 :) hell a .308 wouldn't be a bad choice at 400. I hate muzzle brakes personally. If your stand is enclosed I would wider if that would effect how loud it is to the shooter? Shooting next to one at the range sucks I can tell you that much.

I bet if you did a poll, it would come in 50/50 on love/hate muzzle brakes.

GM, +1 on excellent choice. Bedded one for my in law along with a trigger job and a large 56mm scope ( his vision is very poor). No break. Loaded 168 Berger VLD, it is very accurate out to his vision limit of 500 yards. Good luck.

Problem! I thought I had settled on the Remington, but as I was browsing Cabelas, I ran across a Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5 X 284 Norma which looks like it would be an excellent 400-yard deer cartridge (same price as the Remington). Y'all gotta help me decide!

i several 7mm mag.. i would put a break on it. i would use a "soft " bullet; like a 139 horn , 140 ballistic tip, 140 sierra btsp. . i would use z rings, and a 6.5x20 leup ( shop used you can find for 500).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.