Remington M700 Long Range 7mm Rem Mag? Need a 400-yard deer rifle... Help me!

You are getting a better stock on the Remington LR and a more sought after action to build on (savage guys swear by Savages, but for the most part Remmys are the go to).
Both cartridges will be more than enough for 400 yards and further. The 7mm having quite a bit more energy.

As far as glass goes, I like Vortex. I think that you should stay away from BDC reticules. Simply because they do not give you room to expand your horizons later if you decide to go farther. The HS-LR line (from vortex) has the xlr reticule and the PST's have the MOA or MRAD reticules that I prefer. Make sure your turrets and your reticule match, and if it doesn't have turrets... don't get it!

You are getting a better stock on the Remington LR and a more sought after action to build on (savage guys swear by Savages, but for the most part Remmys are the go to).
Both cartridges will be more than enough for 400 yards and further. The 7mm having quite a bit more energy.

As far as glass goes, I like Vortex. I think that you should stay away from BDC reticules. Simply because they do not give you room to expand your horizons later if you decide to go farther. The HS-LR line (from vortex) has the xlr reticule and the PST's have the MOA or MRAD reticules that I prefer. Make sure your turrets and your reticule match, and if it doesn't have turrets... don't get it!

The more research I do and the more I learn, the more I tend to understand/agree with your advice.

IIWM Bed and float before work up or be prepared to do load work up twice.

That makes sense. Do the basic (inexpensive) accuracy improvements beforehand. I don't plan to have the rifle before this deer season is over. (This season may end for me today if that big boy on the trail camera shows up.) Then I will have until next October to get things ready.

Problem! I thought I had settled on the Remington, but as I was browsing Cabelas, I ran across a Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5 X 284 Norma which looks like it would be an excellent 400-yard deer cartridge (same price as the Remington). Y'all gotta help me decide!

i have 2 6.5-284 and 2 7mmmag. all rem 700. the 700 long range does not come in 6.5-284. the weight of the long range is an advantage. i shoot remingtons. if you said Lrp ( .260) or savage f-class 12 , i would say maybe.

Gunmonkey,

I am considering this rifle in 7 mag as well, and also the Savage Long Range hunter, but in 6.5 Creedmore. So interested in seeing if anyone has one of these Remingtons to see what their out of box accuracy reputation is.

Mine will be for bench shooting and training, I don't plan to hunt with it at all. I wanted a rifle to pair with a light 300 win mag hunting rifle that will not really be suitable for extended shooting periods due to a light barrel, so was hoping to get the same, or similar, stock, at least.

A Creedmore or 260 would be better, but I can't find it in anything but a Savage, and I don't like the stocks that come with it or that are generally available (Manners and McM. are too expensive for me). Even considered a 308. But looking at loads, I can load down the 7mm to 308 recoil levels, and still have wind drift that closely matches the 300.

Anyway, hopefully someone has shot one of these...I have not been able to find reviews anywhere so far. Be interested to see how you go and what you find out about both of these rifles.

Unless someone changes my mind, I'm going with the Remington Long Range in 7mm Rem Mag. I am changing my mind from my original post though and instead of the 3.5-10X50 Vortex Viper, I'm going with the 6.5-20X50 (MilDot).

The only problem I'm having with the rifle though is availability. My local firearms dealer said he could get it for me for $650, but none of his distributors have one. He's got it on back order, but there is no telling when he will get it in. I'm not in a hurry though, so I will hold out for it.

I think the 6.5-20 is probably overkill for 400 yards unless you plan on doing other target shooting. Assuming you could have closer range shots asa well, the 3.5-10 or 4-16 is probably a better choice.

Went to look for one of these in 7 mag today as well. No luck. But I am really thinking about it quite seriously. I don't know if you have seen this thread, its a review of this rifle. A mixed bag, but still interesting.

Remington 700 Long Range 300 Win. Mag

I still wish I could find more formal write ups. I am really nervous of dropping my very hard earned funds on this rifle, but if it works, it could be very good.

Scope wise, I am thinking similarly to you...Viper HST 6-24. My use for the rifle is strictly long range targets, so that will work for me.

I think the 6.5-20 is probably overkill for 400 yards unless you plan on doing other target shooting. Assuming you could have closer range shots asa well, the 3.5-10 or 4-16 is probably a better choice.

I like the idea of high magnification, but you are probably right. I don't have any experience with a quality scope beyond 9X, (my cousin had a Tasco or something that was like 12X and I could see the bullet holes in a target with my old 3-9X32 Bushnell better with it than his) and was thinking of something that I could count the points on a buck at 400 yds. The stand I will be hunting from will be set up in the field, so unless he sneaks up on me, there won't be any shots less than 200 yds.

So, would the 6.5-20 be too much for 200-400 yds.? Well, the more I think about it the more I tend to agree with you. I'm going to start looking now for something a little tamer.

i like a 6.5-20 leup. i like a 40 to 44 obj lens, instead of a 50. i don't like to be have it the scope that high above the barrel.

Went to look for one of these in 7 mag today as well. No luck. But I am really thinking about it quite seriously. I don't know if you have seen this thread, its a review of this rifle. A mixed bag, but still interesting.

Remington 700 Long Range 300 Win. Mag

I still wish I could find more formal write ups. I am really nervous of dropping my very hard earned funds on this rifle, but if it works, it could be very good.

Scope wise, I am thinking similarly to you...Viper HST 6-24. My use for the rifle is strictly long range targets, so that will work for me.

I had not seen this thread. I thought the trigger deal alone could be a deal breaker. On the Savage, the Accutrigger seems like the better deal, and it has a muzzle break. If the 700 needs a new trigger and a muzzle break, it no longer seems like such a good deal. I have never owned a Remington 700, but I have had a Savage 110 in 25-06 and there is no denying its accuracy. That little baby could make one ragged hole with five shots at 100 yards.

The Remington is definitely a better looking rifle than the Savage (come to think of it, any rifle is better looking than the Savage 11/111 Long Range Hunter). But looks are only skin deep...I want accuracy above all else with my long range rifle.

And, hand in hand with an accurate hunting rifle is shootability. If the trigger is too heavy and the recoil too harsh it will effect accuracy.

Since these rifles are so close in price, I would love to see an objective side-by-side, in-depth comparison. Sometimes, and I'm just as guilty as the next guy, bias influences our opinions without us even realizing it and we make recommendations based on that bias and not the actual facts. So, a Remington owner may suggest Remington, and a Savage owner the Savage.

i like a 6.5-20 leup. i like a 40 to 44 obj lens, instead of a 50. i don't like to be have it the scope that high above the barrel.

I was leaning toward the 50 for its light gathering qualities. I have had to let a lot of deer walk with my 32 because I couldn't tell what kind of rack it had.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.