Remington M700 Long Range 7mm Rem Mag? Need a 400-yard deer rifle... Help me!

I had not seen this thread. I thought the trigger deal alone could be a deal breaker. On the Savage, the Accutrigger seems like the better deal, and it has a muzzle break. If the 700 needs a new trigger and a muzzle break, it no longer seems like such a good deal. I have never owned a Remington 700, but I have had a Savage 110 in 25-06 and there is no denying its accuracy. That little baby could make one ragged hole with five shots at 100 yards.

The Remington is definitely a better looking rifle than the Savage (come to think of it, any rifle is better looking than the Savage 11/111 Long Range Hunter). But looks are only skin deep...I want accuracy above all else with my long range rifle.

And, hand in hand with an accurate hunting rifle is shootability. If the trigger is too heavy and the recoil too harsh it will effect accuracy.

Since these rifles are so close in price, I would love to see an objective side-by-side, in-depth comparison. Sometimes, and I'm just as guilty as the next guy, bias influences our opinions without us even realizing it and we make recommendations based on that bias and not the actual facts. So, a Remington owner may suggest Remington, and a Savage owner the Savage.

Yeah, I too would like to see a good side by side. Or even better, maybe more net feedback. There just is not that much on the Remmy.

I keep twisting back and forth between a savage product (various), the Remmy, and getting an RC Vanguard in 308. What I want is an Range Certified Vanguard in 260 or 6.5! But I can't afford it because it would have to be built.

I don't like the stocks on the Savages, and not real keen on the stock options I see aftermarket.

And the Remmy, it seems the least likely of the three to shoot well out of the box. Since I am not looking for a hole to pour money in, that makes it much less attractive. Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

Well Gunmonkey, what did you end up with? I've gone through the same considerations except not heavy barrel because I stalk & spot hunt in rugged mountains, not treestand.

I would not think a brake is necessary on a heavy 26" barrel, but my Savage 7RM 114 with 24" sporter tube could definitely use one. As is, I have not been able to shoot cloverleaves or even work up a load that will do that because of the recoil. Unless I really stiffen my shoulder, the scope bites me. Of course stiffening up reduces accuracy. Getting hammered in the shoulder also takes some of the fun out...I like to shoot no less than 20 rounds / rifle when at the range. That's a breeze with my 270, but no fun with my 7RM. So I am considering putting a brake on it.

A 270win will easily take down a deer at 400 and is a joy to shoot. Wondering why you didn't consider that caliber. Huge bullet selection, long brass life, easy to load. Too boringly consistent and predictable? ;-)

Well Gunmonkey, what did you end up with? I've gone through the same considerations except not heavy barrel because I stalk & spot hunt in rugged mountains, not treestand.

A 270win will easily take down a deer at 400 and is a joy to shoot. Wondering why you didn't consider that caliber. Huge bullet selection, long brass life, easy to load. Too boringly consistent and predictable? ;-)
I actually started out thinking about a 25-06. Then, the more I thought about it, the more I thought about a heavy barreled beast that could smack down a buck in the back of my neighbor's field if I wanted to. He doesn't hunt and is always telling me to shoot some of the deer eating his crops. Georgia has lots of deer. Our gun season runs from mid-October into January and we can take 2 bucks and like 10 does or something like that. I don't shoot does so I'm not sure, 8 or 10.

I always liked the flat trajectory of the 7mm, and like I mentioned before, I'm a pretty big boy so I can absorb recoil pretty good, but recoil does affect accuracy for most people, me included. So the more I can calm it down, the better.

I haven't made a final decision yet. But as soon as I do, I will post.

Took a look at the Weatherby Vanguard in .257 Weatherby Magnum. I searched the web trying to find anything negative to change my mind about considering it as my 400-yard deer rifle. I thought the 24" barrel would shave off too much velocity to make it much better than a 25-06, but I found an article in Shooting Times where the author compared the 257 Wby Mag in both the 24" and 26" barrel and the difference was negligible.
In Praise Of The .257 Weatherby Magnum

If I top it with a Bushnell Legend 4.5-14x44 Ultra HD, rings, mounts, dies I'm looking at less than $1000. I'm really starting to lean this way.

GM, I have a .257 WBY that is one of my most accurate, flat shooting and easy to carry rifles I own. I consider it too light for elk here in AZ, but I use it for coyote, javelina, antelope and deer. Hope you reload since the factory stuff is pricey and not too many loads offered. The 7mm RM is an excellent all purpose caliber and in case you go west for larger game. It will be more versatile to load for (less $$$$). I always recommend the 7RM when asked for a functional caliber here in the west. All that stated, I only own and shoot Weatherby rifles and Weatherby calibers. Choose the rifle YOU want and be happy with your choice. If you wind up with the .257 WBY, PM me for a couple good loads. Good luck

I have a 700 Rem 7mm Mag BDL .. and have been very happy with it and have taken lots of deer up too 1200 yards and in the 500 or less even friends have used it or my boys..i like the 175 grain because the wind will not push it around and at 2830 fps the hit power is amazing ..if you want a big hole then stick with your first choice

On the guns performance its deadly 2 of my hunting partners this year used it to harvest their WT and they both got 2 Deer days with 4 shots fired..

Its hitting power with the 175s is lethal at close range too with 4 Wolves this year at 35yds or less

I use it on my Moose or Elk too

if I were you I would get a scope with the turret for the bullet I would shoot.. mine is set for 175 gr

I just shoot factory and bullets cost in the 32$ range or less

I just posted Ashley's WTs in the Deer section and my Wolves are in the Wolf section

stick with your first choicegun)

David:)
here is my boys 300yd neck shot the bigger one and mine was 450yd shot years ago

Attachments

• user20496_pic2788_1299789766.jpg
    user20496_pic2788_1299789766.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 60
This is my opinion. I have been killing deer for 40 years. I did crop damage control for 15 years where 100 deer a year had to be taken off the farm. Between me and my hunting partner we shot deer with lots of calibers between 22 and 45-70. Both of us have the same opinion of the 7mm Rem mag. If you are shooting most of your deer OVER 200 yards away it works pretty good. For shots under 200 yards we could not carry enough flashlight batteries to hunt with one. We did most of our deer shooting in the last 2 hrs of light in the evening and even with perfect bullet placement with lots of different bullet makes and weights 75% of the time the deer would run off a ways and we would be trailing them up after dark in the VERY THICK cutover undergrowth and swamps of east NC. For your application I would suggest the 25-06 or 257 Weatherby as first choice. These 25 are just plain bang flop killers 99% of the time. Next is anything in 6.5, then the 270 Win shooting 130 gr bullets. Next up is 308 Win or 30-06 shooting 165 gr and lighter bullets. In the 30 cals if you keep it below impact velocity of 3000 fps the 125 gr Ballistic Tip is an AWESOME deer killing bullet. Don't knock it until you have tried it. Yes the big mags are great if you are shooting over 300 yards but for your stated application they are not needed.

Took a look at the Weatherby Vanguard in .257 Weatherby Magnum. I searched the web trying to find anything negative to change my mind about considering it as my 400-yard deer rifle. I thought the 24" barrel would shave off too much velocity to make it much better than a 25-06, but I found an article in Shooting Times where the author compared the 257 Wby Mag in both the 24" and 26" barrel and the difference was negligible.
In Praise Of The .257 Weatherby Magnum

If I top it with a Bushnell Legend 4.5-14x44 Ultra HD, rings, mounts, dies I'm looking at less than $1000. I'm really starting to lean this way.
defenitely the long range in 7mm use soft light for caliber bullets; like 140 berger 140 balistic tip. the .257 good too. just get a RC vanguard or a accumark.

In praise of the 257Wby. Well of course. I like everything Weatherby :D LOL.

A buddy got a VG 257. Out of the box with handloaded partitions during break in it went 3/8th three shot group. He called it good there. A group of them when to Utah for their hunt. Everyone used the VG because it worked every time. Accurate every time.

Everything else that has been said just makes your decisions process harder but a full rig for sub $1,000 with accuracy and load development forgiveness. You could do worse.

Oh and a warning. You could get the 257 and then like me find out that you have some kind of virus that requires you to get the 7mm as well........:cool:

BTW: I got a Mark V 257 used here. Like it:D:D

This is my opinion. I have been killing deer for 40 years. I did crop damage control for 15 years where 100 deer a year had to be taken off the farm. Between me and my hunting partner we shot deer with lots of calibers between 22 and 45-70. Both of us have the same opinion of the 7mm Rem mag. If you are shooting most of your deer OVER 200 yards away it works pretty good. For shots under 200 yards we could not carry enough flashlight batteries to hunt with one. We did most of our deer shooting in the last 2 hrs of light in the evening and even with perfect bullet placement with lots of different bullet makes and weights 75% of the time the deer would run off a ways and we would be trailing them up after dark in the VERY THICK cutover undergrowth and swamps of east NC. For your application I would suggest the 25-06 or 257 Weatherby as first choice. These 25 are just plain bang flop killers 99% of the time. Next is anything in 6.5, then the 270 Win shooting 130 gr bullets. Next up is 308 Win or 30-06 shooting 165 gr and lighter bullets. In the 30 cals if you keep it below impact velocity of 3000 fps the 125 gr Ballistic Tip is an AWESOME deer killing bullet. Don't knock it until you have tried it. Yes the big mags are great if you are shooting over 300 yards but for your stated application they are not needed.
RT2506- what rifle? did you use a 140 berger? ( sorry if off topic)

If you are asking what rifle in 7mm mag and if 140 Burgers were used. No 140 Burgers were not used because this was before Berger bullets existed. Different rifles were used over the years from Rem 700, Ruger 77 & #1 and I think my buddy used a Winchester 70 in factory rifles. He also had a couple Rem 700s with custom barrels on them. The best bullet for the 7mag we found was the 154 grn Hornady interlock. But with the 25-06 or 257 WM if you want to you can go to the local Walmart and pick up what ever brand ammo they have on the shelf that has a 100 gr or heaver bullet and go bang flop a deer 99% of the time from point blank out to 400 yards as is the yardage the OP is asking about. For handloads I prefer the 117 Sierra for the 25s.

The 257 WbyMag is sounding better all the time. I reload, so I plan to buy the cheapest ammo for breaking in the barrel and getting the scope dialed in close. Then work up some Barnes TTSX 100 gr. bullets to see what they can do. If they don't work out, maybe some Accubonds or Partitions.

In praise of the 257Wby. Well of course. I like everything Weatherby :D LOL.

A buddy got a VG 257. Out of the box with handloaded partitions during break in it went 3/8th three shot group. He called it good there. A group of them when to Utah for their hunt. Everyone used the VG because it worked every time. Accurate every time.

Everything else that has been said just makes your decisions process harder but a full rig for sub $1,000 with accuracy and load development forgiveness. You could do worse.

Oh and a warning. You could get the 257 and then like me find out that you have some kind of virus that requires you to get the 7mm as well........:cool:

BTW: I got a Mark V 257 used here. Like it:D:D

I do still have the Remington 700 LRH in 7mm RemMag on back order with my FFL dealer, and this is the time of year where I make most of my money, and I would love to have both, and I think I may have that virus you mentioned. I seem to be babbling like a man about to buy both rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.