7mm mag

Thanks DT. I love it already! It's a Winchester M70 Supergrade. Shot it today at 350 yards!

How did that go for you?

7mm rm is a top shelf deer slayer. I have had a 7mm rem mag in The past but ended up selling it going to all handgun hunting. Now that I have no rifles at present time I just got back into rifles again. So what did I do. Got to me what I feel is one of the best all around big game cartridges ever developed. Yes the 7mm rem mag in rem 700 Sendero.

Right now this will be the only rifle I own and I feel like there is nothing I wouldnt take with this gun.

Deer. Whitetails. Check
mule deer. Check
elk. Check
moose. Check
black bears. Check
sheep. Check
caribou. Check
speed goats. Check

Best of luck but the 7 mag will take care of you.

Brian

BIGA- the ones that do not metion 140 berger or ballistic silvertips have not tried them.

BIGA- the ones that do not metion 140 berger or ballistic silvertips have not tried them.

roninflag, I have reloaded the 140 BT but never taken a deer with them. Do they hold together at 3300 fps if you hit a deer at say 75 yards? I have always wondered how they hold up at closer range. I have heard they do great at longer ranges but wonder about their performance in close.

thanks

Brian

roninflag, I have reloaded the 140 BT but never taken a deer with them. Do they hold together at 3300 fps if you hit a deer at say 75 yards? I have always wondered how they hold up at closer range. I have heard they do great at longer ranges but wonder about their performance in close.

thanks

Brian

My dad shot a buck at about 10 yards with the 140 nosler bt out of his 7mm Rm and it dropped like a ton of bricks. I think he was running around 3300 fps. Worked very well I plan on using the same bullet for my 7mm Rm.

Yep bt's will hold up at that speed. I would use that or Berger like others have mentioned. I shot a Kansas whitetail this year at 82 yards with my 257 Roy and I'm well above 3400fps at that distance and entered about the size of a golf ball and exited the size of a base ball. I was really worried at first cause I was well above nosler's max velocity. Things have worked out well though. Just shoot both and see which your gun likes. As for now I would try Winchester combined tech ammo. Which is the Nosler. Or as Mud said HSM loaded with bergers. One of those two will shoot.

the 140 ballistic silvertips look great when loaded into nickel brass. Also their speed combined with their high BC make them flatter and less drift out to 600 yards or so. same with 140 bergers. the heavier higher BC bullets like the 168 or 180, kick more and really come into their own 500 yards to 1000 yards.

I've shot a few with the 7mag, all with a 140 BT or a 140 Sierra pro hunter, all with in 100 yards. I see nobody wants to talk about meat damage, well I'm here to tell ya, most if not all I've killed with it, on the entrance side, shot threw the ribs, minimum blood shot meat, foot- foot and a half around the entrance hole, hit a "Bigger" bone or more than 1 rib (Raking shot), blood shot from just below the ears to the hind quarters, run one threw there shoulders and you will have one "HELL" of a mess on your hands. One other thing that I found with the 140 BT is I would never get a blood trail with that bullet, and all but one ran min 50yds, might not sound like a long way ut it the tight balsums its for ever, only one I ever knocked down DRT was with a frontal shot. The 7mags a great round, but for whitetails you will get way less meat damage with a very stout constructed bullet.. just my 2 cents on this..

I've shot a few with the 7mag, all with a 140 BT or a 140 Sierra pro hunter, all with in 100 yards. I see nobody wants to talk about meat damage, well I'm here to tell ya, most if not all I've killed with it, on the entrance side, shot threw the ribs, minimum blood shot meat, foot- foot and a half around the entrance hole, hit a "Bigger" bone or more than 1 rib (Raking shot), blood shot from just below the ears to the hind quarters, run one threw there shoulders and you will have one "HELL" of a mess on your hands. One other thing that I found with the 140 BT is I would never get a blood trail with that bullet, and all but one ran min 50yds, might not sound like a long way ut it the tight balsums its for ever, only one I ever knocked down DRT was with a frontal shot. The 7mags a great round, but for whitetails you will get way less meat damage with a very stout constructed bullet.. just my 2 cents on this..

Thanks Charters. I was kind of wanting to know about the meat damage also and you have helped in that area. That is why I am trying scirocco's 150 gr to see how they do. I have had hear they are great for less meat damage so I cannot wait to try them out. I also have 168 vld's and 140 gr TTSX. I know the VLD's have that explosive damage to deer at closer ranges so that is why I am also giving the 140 TTSX and the 150 scirocco's.

Its going to be fun to see how they do.

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.